Harvard University

Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.7

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Long day. Meet with some faculty individually and some lab members through out the day. Gave a department seminar on my research work. Afternoon was filled with more meetings and introductions to different lab members. Was shown around the lab and learned about the research focus and priorities prior to meeting with the Primary Investigator.

Interview Questions
  • How did you choose your graduate projects to put into your thesis?   Answer Question
Standard post-doc contract.

Other Interview Reviews for Harvard University

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

One phone interview with the PI. on-site campus visit and gave a 1 hr presentation. During phone interview with PI, we talked about my interests and possible projects which I can work. He also sent me few research papers so I could study them.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were from my previous work; so, I didn't have difficulty answering them.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harvard University.

Contacted research group by email. Set up a Skype interview after which requested to come on-site for interview. Gave a seminar on-site and interviewed with group members individually. Long day with meeting a lot of people. Standard academic interview. Nothing special.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to propose ideas for projects. Not unusual in academia. Had to give them some thought.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Mailed the application to the professor, got a call from people in the lab and scheduled an on-site interview. Meet the whole group and gave a presentation about PhD work.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

Applied online, there was no interview process.

Interview Questions
    • There was no interview. Job was offered based on application.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in June 2013.

It was one day entire day interview process.

First, you will usually have a meeting with PI. Then, you will start to meet with other people in the lab.
    They will have a crew of people to have a lunch to talk with you as well.
    Then, you will give a presentation about your research. After that, you will meet more people.

It is a set format, but vacation time was flexible.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2013.

The interview included a Skype session at first, then a lab visit including a presentation followed with Q&A, a tour of the lab spaces as well as the Harvard shared facilities (the Center for Nanoscale Systems).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in February 2013.

This depends on the group you will work and your PI. I had no big issues. The interview was more a chat than an interview, since I brought my own fellowship.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in October 2011.

Hiring for postdocs may formally follow some fair process that involves job postings and interviews, but in practice reputation—of the applicant, of the applicant's school, and advisor, and research--counts for a lot more. So if you're coming from a good place and you've done good work, you're in. But otherwise, it might be a struggle to get noticed.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions--they were trying to convince me to accept the job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in January 2011.

Reference letter and a phone call interview may be all you need to do;
    but when you join the lab, you will be asked to do a presentation about your previous work.

Interview Questions
    • Basically if you have a few good papers, you will get the offer.   View Answer
    No negotiation on salary because Harvard University is never lack of good postdocs, so you just accept it.