Harvard University Postdoctoral Fellow Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2014

2.7

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Harvard University.

One phone interview with the PI. on-site campus visit and gave a 1 hr presentation. During phone interview with PI, we talked about my interests and possible projects which I can work. He also sent me few research papers so I could study them.

Interview Questions
  • Most of the questions were from my previous work; so, I didn't have difficulty answering them.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Harvard University

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Harvard University in February 2013.

This depends on the group you will work and your PI. I had no big issues. The interview was more a chat than an interview, since I brought my own fellowship.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Harvard University in June 2013.

It was one day entire day interview process.

First, you will usually have a meeting with PI. Then, you will start to meet with other people in the lab.
    They will have a crew of people to have a lunch to talk with you as well.
    Then, you will give a presentation about your research. After that, you will meet more people.

It is a set format, but vacation time was flexible.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Harvard University.

Contacted research group by email. Set up a Skype interview after which requested to come on-site for interview. Gave a seminar on-site and interviewed with group members individually. Long day with meeting a lot of people. Standard academic interview. Nothing special.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to propose ideas for projects. Not unusual in academia. Had to give them some thought.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in October 2011.

Hiring for postdocs may formally follow some fair process that involves job postings and interviews, but in practice reputation—of the applicant, of the applicant's school, and advisor, and research--counts for a lot more. So if you're coming from a good place and you've done good work, you're in. But otherwise, it might be a struggle to get noticed.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions--they were trying to convince me to accept the job.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Mailed the application to the professor, got a call from people in the lab and scheduled an on-site interview. Meet the whole group and gave a presentation about PhD work.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Harvard University.

Applied online, there was no interview process.

Interview Questions
    • There was no interview. Job was offered based on application.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Harvard University in January 2011.

Reference letter and a phone call interview may be all you need to do;
    but when you join the lab, you will be asked to do a presentation about your previous work.

Interview Questions
    • Basically if you have a few good papers, you will get the offer.   View Answer
    No negotiation on salary because Harvard University is never lack of good postdocs, so you just accept it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in March 2009.

How I got an interview: wrote email to PI including CV and best publication, asking for possibility of postdoc. Then came for 1 day to give a talk about PhD work, meet PI, and people from the group. Got offer about 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Questions mostly about former research, no unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    Negotiation only about start date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Harvard University in May 2010.

Responded to email posting of postdoc positions with CV and covering letter. Met with PI when he visited the UK to present his work. Was invited out to US to present my doctoral work in a seminar to the lab

Interview Questions
    no negotiations - set salary based on years of experience.

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!