Harvard University Postdoctoral Fellow Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.7

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Harvard University in September 2008.

1 hour presentation, followed by talking to lab members. lunch and dinner with the lab. knowing your previous work is important. knowing their work is also important, and so is looking enthusiastic.

Other Interview Reviews for Harvard University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harvard University in October 2009.

very casual. Lunch meeting with the 2 professors I was going to work with

Interview Questions
    there is very little room for negotiation since the salary is set by NIH

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2010.

Contacted the PI directly. We hit it off immediately and I've really enjoyed working in the lab. The PI is very busy, over committed so a lot of the day to day advising falls on the postdocs. There are 6 postdocs, 5 graduate students, 2 undergrads and 2 high school students in the lab.

no negotiation phase

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2011.

Very friendly and professional, only one interview, but had to write a motivation letter. It look like 30 min. was asked about my current work and my future plans. No chance for salary negotiation. Later on, found Boston very expensive and salary does not match the living expenses.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in May 2010.

Responded to email posting of postdoc positions with CV and covering letter. Met with PI when he visited the UK to present his work. Was invited out to US to present my doctoral work in a seminar to the lab

Interview Questions
    no negotiations - set salary based on years of experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in March 2009.

How I got an interview: wrote email to PI including CV and best publication, asking for possibility of postdoc. Then came for 1 day to give a talk about PhD work, meet PI, and people from the group. Got offer about 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Questions mostly about former research, no unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    Negotiation only about start date.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Mailed the application to the professor, got a call from people in the lab and scheduled an on-site interview. Meet the whole group and gave a presentation about PhD work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in June 2013.

It was one day entire day interview process.

First, you will usually have a meeting with PI. Then, you will start to meet with other people in the lab.
    They will have a crew of people to have a lunch to talk with you as well.
    Then, you will give a presentation about your research. After that, you will meet more people.

It is a set format, but vacation time was flexible.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

One phone interview with the PI. on-site campus visit and gave a 1 hr presentation. During phone interview with PI, we talked about my interests and possible projects which I can work. He also sent me few research papers so I could study them.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were from my previous work; so, I didn't have difficulty answering them.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2013.

The interview included a Skype session at first, then a lab visit including a presentation followed with Q&A, a tour of the lab spaces as well as the Harvard shared facilities (the Center for Nanoscale Systems).