Harvard University

Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.7

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

Applied online, there was no interview process.

Interview Questions
  • There was no interview. Job was offered based on application.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Harvard University

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harvard University.

Contacted research group by email. Set up a Skype interview after which requested to come on-site for interview. Gave a seminar on-site and interviewed with group members individually. Long day with meeting a lot of people. Standard academic interview. Nothing special.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to propose ideas for projects. Not unusual in academia. Had to give them some thought.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Long day. Meet with some faculty individually and some lab members through out the day. Gave a department seminar on my research work. Afternoon was filled with more meetings and introductions to different lab members. Was shown around the lab and learned about the research focus and priorities prior to meeting with the Primary Investigator.

Interview Questions
    • How did you choose your graduate projects to put into your thesis?   Answer Question
    Standard post-doc contract.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in February 2013.

This depends on the group you will work and your PI. I had no big issues. The interview was more a chat than an interview, since I brought my own fellowship.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in January 2011.

Reference letter and a phone call interview may be all you need to do;
    but when you join the lab, you will be asked to do a presentation about your previous work.

Interview Questions
    • Basically if you have a few good papers, you will get the offer.   View Answer
    No negotiation on salary because Harvard University is never lack of good postdocs, so you just accept it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in October 2011.

Hiring for postdocs may formally follow some fair process that involves job postings and interviews, but in practice reputation—of the applicant, of the applicant's school, and advisor, and research--counts for a lot more. So if you're coming from a good place and you've done good work, you're in. But otherwise, it might be a struggle to get noticed.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions--they were trying to convince me to accept the job.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Mailed the application to the professor, got a call from people in the lab and scheduled an on-site interview. Meet the whole group and gave a presentation about PhD work.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Harvard University in September 2008.

1 hour presentation, followed by talking to lab members. lunch and dinner with the lab. knowing your previous work is important. knowing their work is also important, and so is looking enthusiastic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harvard University in October 2009.

very casual. Lunch meeting with the 2 professors I was going to work with

Interview Questions
    there is very little room for negotiation since the salary is set by NIH

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2010.

Contacted the PI directly. We hit it off immediately and I've really enjoyed working in the lab. The PI is very busy, over committed so a lot of the day to day advising falls on the postdocs. There are 6 postdocs, 5 graduate students, 2 undergrads and 2 high school students in the lab.

no negotiation phase