Harvard University Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015

2.1

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Current research assistants conducted screening interview for position opening. Asked standard questions regarding previous research experience, future goals, why you are interested in position, etc. Lab environment was described and interviewers (the current RAs) were friendly however they didn't appear to have experience interviewing making the situation a little awkward at times.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Harvard University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University (Framingham, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

HAd a phone interview intially and then had a check with references.It was an easy process adn we had like a discussion about the projects in the lab.The proff was friendly..And then had the next round of interview after almost a month and got the offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in October 2010.

Interview

I asked a professor if they needed a research assistant in the lab, and they said yes. My interview was informal and they liked that I was enthusiastic and had an interest in the field. I'm not holding a student RA position that lasts for a few months, but I've been working here for a few years. They went out of their way to get me in even though I didn't reach all of the qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Why do you have a low GPA?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in December 2009.

Interview

Submitted a letter and resume in response to a job posted on Harvard's ASPIRE website. Was then contacted by HR for a first round interview (screening process, very basic and brief), which was followed by a second interview with the executive director and a professor of the specific research program that posted the open position. There were at least 3-4 weeks between each event (applying, interviewing, and receiving job offer) and the overall process, from applying to starting the job, took about 4 months.

Interview Questions

• What is my long term career plan and how does this job fit into that plan?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for salary, which was low at best, given qualifications and experience.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

interviewed at Harvard University in December 2012.

Interview

They scheduled a phone interview with me and it went fairly well. No unexpected questions. Just technical and routine checking about previous salary and why I left my job. Waiting for an on-site interview call.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to answer why you left your previous job. Nothing was difficult to answer. I just had a phone interview and am waiting for on-site interview call.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Harvard University in February 2010.

Interview

The interview was fun! You basically have to just be confident with yourself and your experience and you will do very well! Let your light shine through and do not let anyone make you feel any less.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Harvard University in February 2010.

Interview

After using the student employment site, I both applied through the site and emailed the contact listed directly expressing interest in the job. I was then contacted via email to come in for a 1:1 interview. After meeting the department head for about 15-20 minutes in person during which my experience and availability were discussed, I received an offer a few days later, again by email.

Interview Questions

• What relevant experience do you have to this department (Engineering), if any, and why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A-the compensation was clearly outlined before the interview.