Harvard University

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Harvard University in October 2010.

Interview Details – I asked a professor if they needed a research assistant in the lab, and they said yes. My interview was informal and they liked that I was enthusiastic and had an interest in the field. I'm not holding a student RA position that lasts for a few months, but I've been working here for a few years. They went out of their way to get me in even though I didn't reach all of the qualifications.

Interview Question – Why do you have a low GPA?   View Answer

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Harvard University in December 2009.

Interview Details – Submitted a letter and resume in response to a job posted on Harvard's ASPIRE website. Was then contacted by HR for a first round interview (screening process, very basic and brief), which was followed by a second interview with the executive director and a professor of the specific research program that posted the open position. There were at least 3-4 weeks between each event (applying, interviewing, and receiving job offer) and the overall process, from applying to starting the job, took about 4 months.

Interview Question – What is my long term career plan and how does this job fit into that plan?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for salary, which was low at best, given qualifications and experience.

Framingham, MA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in February 2012.

Interview Details – HAd a phone interview intially and then had a check with references.It was an easy process adn we had like a discussion about the projects in the lab.The proff was friendly..And then had the next round of interview after almost a month and got the offer

Interview Question – Describe the masters project you worked on?   Answer Question

Research Assistant

I interviewed at Harvard University in December 2012.

Interview Details – They scheduled a phone interview with me and it went fairly well. No unexpected questions. Just technical and routine checking about previous salary and why I left my job. Waiting for an on-site interview call.

Interview Question – Be prepared to answer why you left your previous job. Nothing was difficult to answer. I just had a phone interview and am waiting for on-site interview call.   Answer Question

Research Assistant

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Harvard University in February 2010.

Interview Details – After using the student employment site, I both applied through the site and emailed the contact listed directly expressing interest in the job. I was then contacted via email to come in for a 1:1 interview. After meeting the department head for about 15-20 minutes in person during which my experience and availability were discussed, I received an offer a few days later, again by email.

Interview Question – What relevant experience do you have to this department (Engineering), if any, and why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A-the compensation was clearly outlined before the interview.

Very Easy Interview

Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Harvard University in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was fun! You basically have to just be confident with yourself and your experience and you will do very well! Let your light shine through and do not let anyone make you feel any less.

Interview Question – Describe your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Harvard University

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harvard University Research Assistant interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Harvard University employees and interview candidates.