Harvard University

Getting the Interview

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Staff Assistant III Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview Details – The hiring process at Harvard takes a really really long time. For my current job, it took over 2 months from when I submitted my application to when I receive an offer. The interview process differs from school to school with the University; but for my position, I had an interview over the phone, 1 with the hiring manager, 1 with the hiring manager's manager, then a Word and Excel test. A week passed between each of these interviews.

The interview questions are standard behavioral interview questions: tell me about yourself, tell me why you are interested in the position, tell me about a time when you..., what would you do...

Interview Question – What would you do when you disagree with your manager?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a higher salary but was turned down. A signing bonus was offered instead which I took.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Staff Assistant III Interview

Staff Assistant III
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in December 2011.

Interview Details – Applied through the Harvard site, and received a request for a phone-screen interview. Spoke for about 30 minutes w/HR manager, and was asked to come to meet with her and hiring manager two weeks later.

The HR manager asked rote questions and her phone manner left something to be desired, but 1 on 1 with her was terrific, her tone was more conversational than formal and we spoke for 50 minutes and she gave more than ample opportunity for me to focus on my experience and what I felt I could bring to the position.

1 on 1 with the hiring manager was another story, as they were most likely pressed for time and spent most of the time rehashing the job description I had already gotten from HR and didn't really press me to contribute or highlight my skills. I had the distinct feeling there was already an internal candidate, which fit with the complete lack of response via phone or email (either negative or positive) afterwards.

Interview Question – Describe an instance in a prior job where you made an error or mistake, and how you compensated for it.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Harvard University

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harvard University Staff Assistant III interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Harvard University employees and interview candidates.