Harvard University Staff Assistant III Interview Questions

2.5

Staff Assistant III Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Harvard University in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter at a staffing agency I met with a month prior. They noticed that my resume fell in line with the job description and asked me if I would be interested in going in for an interview. Of course, I was ecstatic! They sent over my resume and the next week I was in for an interview. It was really laid back and everyone was extremely welcoming. They asked me a list of basic questions, and a 25 minute test which tested how well I worked under a time constraint. I was offered the position the same day. I understand that my situation is not the norm. I suggest going with a recruiter who has a direct connection with the University. And ask as many questions as possible.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Harvard University

Staff Assistant III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in November 2013.

Interview

I was recommended by a friend of a friend for a staff opening in the alumni department. I submitted my application and got in touch with said fof, who then went to HR, and let them know I had submitted. I had a 30 minute phone interview with a recruiter, which was pleasant but I could tell I wasn't going to get the position because she had asked if she could keep me in mind for other roles in the future.

Staff Assistant III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

The hiring process at Harvard takes a really really long time. For my current job, it took over 2 months from when I submitted my application to when I receive an offer. The interview process differs from school to school with the University; but for my position, I had an interview over the phone, 1 with the hiring manager, 1 with the hiring manager's manager, then a Word and Excel test. A week passed between each of these interviews. The interview questions are standard behavioral interview questions: tell me about yourself, tell me why you are interested in the position, tell me about a time when you..., what would you do...

Interview Questions

• What would you do when you disagree with your manager?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for a higher salary but was turned down. A signing bonus was offered instead which I took.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in December 2011.

Interview

Applied through the Harvard site, and received a request for a phone-screen interview. Spoke for about 30 minutes w/HR manager, and was asked to come to meet with her and hiring manager two weeks later. The HR manager asked rote questions and her phone manner left something to be desired, but 1 on 1 with her was terrific, her tone was more conversational than formal and we spoke for 50 minutes and she gave more than ample opportunity for me to focus on my experience and what I felt I could bring to the position. 1 on 1 with the hiring manager was another story, as they were most likely pressed for time and spent most of the time rehashing the job description I had already gotten from HR and didn't really press me to contribute or highlight my skills. I had the distinct feeling there was already an internal candidate, which fit with the complete lack of response via phone or email (either negative or positive) afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Describe an instance in a prior job where you made an error or mistake, and how you compensated for it.   Answer Question