Harvard University

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in July 2013.

Interview Details – Initial contact was through an email inviting me to a group interview. There were two interviewers (senior staff administrators) and four interviewees. We were given impromptu questions about our previous experience, inquiries about particular instances of success and failure, and then given a critical thinking exercise.

Interview Question – Give an example of how in a difficult situation you came up with an innovative problem-solving technique.   Answer Question

Staff Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview Details – I applied online through Harvard's online application system. I received a phone call one week after application submission, from the position recruiter, asking to schedule an initial 30-minute phone interview. The recruiter scheduled the interview to occur exactly one week from the time of this scheduling conversation (i.e. two weeks after application submission). While I declined to continue after the first round phone call, the recruiter had indicated subsequent steps would involve a phone or in-person interview with management and then a phone interview with HR.

Interview Question – All questions were quite standard: Tell me about your education and experience; Describe a difficult situation you've encountered in the workplace; How do you handle change in the workplace, i.e. staffing changes?; etc.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered an opportunity to interview in the second round, but I declined due to salary needs.

Cambridge, MA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Harvard University in March 2012.

Interview Details – First off, I was not given a job description by the staffing agency. So I was given the job description only 10 minutes before the interview. The person interviewing me had been at this particular office for 16 years. She wanted to know primarily when you would ask for help. I would advise other candidates for this type of position to ask lots of questions about the position and culture of the office.

Interview Question – You have several people waiting for you, how would you respond to people waiting in line?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Harvard University

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR, Interview with two potential bosses, then interviews with a few other team members.

Interview Question – None, really   Answer Question

Staff Assistant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Harvard University in August 2008.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an HR woman who said they had an interest in bringing me in. I went in and first met with her, then with the two people I would be supporting. They asked pretty basic general questions, why Harvard, why this job, what my career aspirations are. They described the job, asked if I had any questions. I also met with the person whose job I would be taking over and was able to talk about what the job really entailed. I think it was two days later that they called me and offered me the job.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself and why you want to work at Harvard at this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation except for start date

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!