Harvey Nash Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Recruitment Consultant
Leeds, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Harvey Nash Group in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed with one of their owned companies first of all who were really nice, really engaging and a very exciting business who liked me and I liked them so was invited to a 2nd round with a couple of senior players within the core Harvey Nash business.

Considering I already work in recruitment, their interview techniques were childish and naive. They did that thing where they sit for the first few minutes playing on their phones and writing whatever and don't pay you any attention... its a technique to see whether you have the balls to speak up and move the meeting along, I however knew instantly from this what type of company they were - they are the type to try catch you out and will constantly try drag you down - somehow they think this generates revenue.

Anyway, they did a really stupid role play test. Where they pretended to be a candidate who was turning down my job because they had another job paying 5k more "in the city". I did a bloody good job on this considering that was the only background I had on someone I had apparently known for weeks... however because I didnt think to say, well you will be spending that 5k on travel to work so won't make any difference - they said I didnt know recruitment. First of all who spends 5k on travel? A season ticket from outer london is around 3k at most - furthermore, I thought of much better reasons as to why this imaginary candidate shouldnt move to the other company - proven by the interviewers backing down during the role play, but still they were adamant that I was wrong for missing the 5k travel issue which was one thing I did miss, but I came up with a lot of other concerns for a candidate which they dismissed, again totally showing the company they are by having no interest in my arguments for career progression or family life for my candidate.

Anyway I am now a successful recruiter and was offered 6 jobs from other companies - their loss.

Interview Question – the role play, gave you no time to prepare, and in their head they had an idea of the 'imaginary candidate' but you only get a 10 second background on the person - impossible. Dont they know recruitment is about building relationships?   View Answer

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant
Leeds, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Harvey Nash Group.

Interview Details – I received the interview through a Rec2Rec company. I arrived early and was told I was going to be meeting the Managing Director but he was currently out so in the mean time I would be talking to one of his colleagues. A senior consultant met with me and after a extremely brief conversation, in which he asked me around 4 question not related to the position, told me he was going to go check if the MD was ready. After 5 minutes he returned and told me that the MD was about to leave again and wouldn't be able to meet me. I received a call an hour later from the original recruitment agency to tell me that I didn't get the job because I didn't have the sales experience, a point I was never asked about. Overall, extremely disappointed with the whole process and feel like I wasted my time. I recommend that anyone else interviewing with them ask what experience they are looking for prior to the interview .

Interview Question – Where do your friends work?   Answer Question

IT Recruiter Interview

IT Recruiter
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harvey Nash Group in May 2011.

Interview Details – Initial communications with company were via a rec to rec agency. Received feedback from rec agency that they were reviewing CV. Then told I had an interview date and time. Harvey Nash sent details through via rec agency. They gave me details of format of interview, scenarios etc. Organisation seemed very precise and detailed. Expected more people at interview as it involved 1:1 interview, group discussion and questions.

Met Director of Talent on arrival to interview. Very welcoming and put me at ease. Asked questions to all candidates and presided in small talk. Reception were also friendly, I noticed how they engaged with clients who were waiting to be seen. At first interview, there were two people present. Director of Talent and a manager. Very friendly but formal. Seemed to have researched candidates as they had our CV's. Also listened and took notes throughout interview process.

From discussions and questions the company held itself out as young, dynamic and hardworking. Also innovative and very interested in technology. Made it clear job was a sales role, and targets were expected to be hit. Gave good initial feedback on role plays, particularly cold calling and CV presentation. Also very informative about second stage interview.

Unfortunately the second interview was poorly managed and prepared. Was meant to see two people but one person turned up, and then said second couldn't see me. First - told they were in a meeting, then told the second couldn't see me as there was a potential conflict. Very weak as the conflict was minimal - knowledge of someone in my social circle. Also my rec to rec agent and myself were not informed of this beforehand, and basis of second interview was that first interviewer was to ask me questions etc and form his view, and then second interviewer would do same.

Interviewer didn't have knowledge of my CV, and abrasive in attitude. OK to ask reservations but did not give chance for me to express my strengths. Also closed his interview without giving me the chance to ask questions. Had to cajole next stage of process from him as I was been shown the door.

Interview Question – How much were you earning in your jobs over the last three years?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Harvey Nash Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harvey Nash Group interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Harvey Nash Group employees and interview candidates.