Hastings Entertainment

Updated Aug 18, 2014
Updated Aug 18, 2014

1.9

Book Associate, Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hastings Entertainment in June 2014.

Very nice interview, laid back and simple. Another interview tomorrow. The guy was very nice and we talked about previous jobs, customers and nerd stuff . I was asked fun questions about time travelling and superheros. I felt it went really well and I am excited for tomorrow. After this interview I want the job so much!

Interview Questions
    • What superhero I would be or superpower. Too many to decide!   View Answer

Floor Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abilene, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abilene, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Hastings Entertainment in May 2014.

Interview was good, managers were nice, polite and relaxed in the interview process. Was a bit disappointed that the position that I was applying for was not even an actual position at that location yet, but may be created sometime in the future. They were just gathering a pool of applications for the future needs of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Why was I interested in Hastings?
      Would I be willing to relocate?
      What were my salary requirements?

Answer Question

Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Hastings Entertainment.

Initial contact is made by the recruiter after you apply online. There are two interviews with specific IT personnel and managers.

Interview Questions
    • What methods do you use to solve complex problems outside your current realm of knowledge.   Answer Question
    They asked what I was expecting as a salary and I explained that I would expect low range for starting because I was new to the career. They explained that they start people around 35 and offered me 37 in deference to the number of years I have in careers in general.

Video Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kearney, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kearney, NE

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hastings Entertainment.

Normal interview process. Normal interview questions although they get a little more specific. For example.. instead of "what are your weaknesses?" the questions would read more like "what are your weaknesses when under stress because of a work load?" The store manager and customer service manager both interviewed me. Although the store manager kept leaving.

Interview Questions
    • Sometimes the questions got too specific and I couldn't answer them properly without making up a story. One question read something like "Tell me a time you disagreed with a manager and you were both right.. what did you do to compromise?"   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. "we can pay you 8.50 an hour... take it or leave it."

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Helena, MT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Helena, MT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hastings Entertainment in February 2014.

I really didn't have an interview process. I went in and the first thing the interviewer said was "Let's just skip the questions about you because basically I already hired you." I was kind of shocked because I have no experience as a barista.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiating. I am getting paid $8 dollars an hour. Which is higher than the state's minimum wage.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hastings Entertainment.

Was called in for interview. Was offered the position the same day of the interview.

Now the company conducts interviews in a group. Interviewer gives customers service scenarios then asks how interviewee might handle it. If interviewee appears uninterested in the interview or questions and does not speak up to answer questions, then they will not be asked to come back for second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are not difficult at all - mostly just common sense. The main thing they are looking for is how the interviewee conducts themselves during the interview and amongst strangers.   Answer Question

Front Counter Team Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hastings Entertainment.

I am sure this is not how other stores did their interview process, but my boss would try to size you up when you went in to check on your application. The way he views it, he can teach anybody how to do the job, but he can't teach personality.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions, there was only the boss sizing you up to see if your personality matches the culture of the store.   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Had one interview, it was very short and they hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • "What are some challenges you faced with past employers?"   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hastings Entertainment.

Application was online. Contacted 2 weeks after submitting the applicaton. Had one in person interview with the District Manager a week later. Was offered the job within a week of the interview. Whole process from initial application to start date was 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important job aspect of being a store manager?   Answer Question
    My expected salary was a lot higher than the supposed starting salary. They offered lower than my expected amount, but higher than the initial amount, so I accepted.

CSA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hastings Entertainment in April 2013.

Group Interview, and then a manager interview.

Interview Questions
    Make sure you ask about scheduling.