Havertys

2.7

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Havertys in October 2014.

Very professional interview process. Candidates that pass the first interview are asked to return for an aptitude test based highly on vocabulary. I was told all was going well and I was invited for the final interview. I concluded the position was not the best fit for me. I knew the branch manager was under a deadline to finalize a hiring, so I very professionally removed myself from the process before the final interview. It drives me crazy that the branch manager could not take twenty seconds to respond to my e-mail exiting the process. It confirms it was the correct decision to decline moving forward with Havertys of Fairfax. I hope their other managers are more professionally considerate of their candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time your went above and beyond to satisfy the customer.   View Answer

The overall boredom to bedlam business cycle of the furniture business was not a good motivational fit for me. The compensation package did not meet my needs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Havertys in July 2014.

The Interview process was very streamlined and easy. You take a word association test/personality test-unsure which testing formatting is used, never seen this type before. But, It was not difficult-took me about one hour.
    GM was very cordial, professional, intelligent and very attentive to what I had to say in response to his questions. All attempts seemed to be made to make me comfortable with the interview process.
    I was called to come back in after approximately 5 days. I met with the GM and a floor mgr, and then was told they wished to begin the paperwork to hire me. All in all, it was a very easy, comfortable and simple process.

Interview Questions
    • No specific question was difficult. The week long training is very comprehensive, at times repetitive in focus or content being illustrated to new hires, and was for me the most arduous part of the entire process. You receive a ton of information with on the floor "customer/sales person" scenarios used daily...all of which was excellent in teaching how Havertys wants it's employees to greet, interact and lead them towards a close including the protection plan offered. It was, again, a lot of processing mentally and for me, once I got back to my store, all training pretty much ceased. It was hit the floor running with blinders on, so to speak. But, the training is excellent and within a short period of time, I was able to answer most of my own questions without need of co-workers or mgrs.   Answer Question

Call Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Braselton, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Havertys in February 2014.

I was interviewed by the call center manager and then another lady. Then they gave me a test to take on the computer at home.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process was great! It was the test on the computer that was difficult.   View Answer

Prep Team/Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Braselton, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Havertys in September 2013.

Communication was poor. If I asked a question they didn't want to answer, such as employee turnover rate, I was ignored. When asked about scheduling, I was answered with, "I'll have to look into that'" No real answers were ever given to any questions.

Interview Questions
    • Federal law requires companies to make at least some allowance for assistance for jobs. They will ask you if you can lift 150#s without help. If you say no, you are not hired. And some of what you move is well over 250#   Answer Question
    Was not able to negotiate anything. It was all take it or leave it.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Havertys in July 2013.

Checked in at front desk. Asked to fill out a application hand written even though I had done it
    all online. (no biggie I comply) Store manager interviews me asking a series of questions that I found uncomfortable. I got the feeling she was a accountant and had never worked on the sales floor. She did not convience me on her or Havertys.The Store manager was cold and
    distant, made me feel small and inadequate. Not a people person at all.
      I asked about the pay and benefits. In reguards to pay no information could be given other than its 5% commission and stocks are publically traded. It was explained to me if you dont make our goals of $45,000 a month you will be let go. Wow I am sure thats true but really you
    had to mention that in a interview ?
       I left thinking sure hope they do not offer me a position. Although it was not for me the interview process worked well and I discovered it was not for me. I have about 20 years of sales experience in sales and management.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Havertys in April 2013.

Two interviews- one is very simple because of the high turnover. They are only looking for you to dress nicely and show up. The second interview is a computer test. Again, this is just to see if you will come again.

Interview Questions
    • There are no hard questions- no need to prepare. They just asked about work experience and if you will work the retail hours.   Answer Question

I really got a bad vibe and asked around. Havertys has a bad reputation - I was told they have gone through approx. 100 salespeople in a very short time. The manager interviewing seemed like he didn't know what he was doing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Havertys in April 2013.

The interview lasted about two hours in the store.
    Previously there was about a 20 minute telephone interview.

Interview Questions
    • The usual question that is often asked these days is to describe your weaknesses?   Answer Question

There is no salary and only commission.
    The sales floor is flooded with more salespeople than customers.
    The hours do not include any days off.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bluffton, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bluffton, SC

interviewed at Havertys in March 2013.

Very nice and professional office. Employees were friendly and helpful with design and furniture selections

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest strengths and weaknesses and how will these answers reflect in your daily work?   Answer Question
    Ask for more than you know you'll receive, but not too high.

Furniture Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Havertys in June 2012.

After filling out an online application and list of questions I was called in for an interview. The manager was busy in his office and the office manager asked me to wait until he was finished.
    After an hour wait I asked the office manager if I should come back at another time. She checked with the manager and for some reason he forgot he had an appointment with me and left the building. She tried to reach him on his cell phone but didn't get an answer. I left and expected to get another call. They never called. I called and asked to speak to the manager but he was busy. In fact he was too busy to ever return my call. It was good to learn about this before getting a job there. With this type of treatment I now understand why they are always advertising for sales people.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't get to be interviewed. The manager forgot about our appointment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monroe, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monroe, LA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Havertys in April 2012.

I did not get hired.

Interview Questions
    • Why did I want to come back to Havertys.   View Answer