Havertys Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Havertys (Atlanta, GA) in July 2014.

Interview

The Interview process was very streamlined and easy. You take a word association test/personality test-unsure which testing formatting is used, never seen this type before. But, It was not difficult-took me about one hour. GM was very cordial, professional, intelligent and very attentive to what I had to say in response to his questions. All attempts seemed to be made to make me comfortable with the interview process. I was called to come back in after approximately 5 days. I met with the GM and a floor mgr, and then was told they wished to begin the paperwork to hire me. All in all, it was a very easy, comfortable and simple process.

Interview Questions

• No specific question was difficult. The week long training is very comprehensive, at times repetitive in focus or content being illustrated to new hires, and was for me the most arduous part of the entire process. You receive a ton of information with on the floor "customer/sales person" scenarios used daily...all of which was excellent in teaching how Havertys wants it's employees to greet, interact and lead them towards a close including the protection plan offered. It was, again, a lot of processing mentally and for me, once I got back to my store, all training pretty much ceased. It was hit the floor running with blinders on, so to speak. But, the training is excellent and within a short period of time, I was able to answer most of my own questions without need of co-workers or mgrs.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Havertys

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Havertys (Charlotte, NC) in August 2013.

Interview

Took a phone interview and it was 60 days to get hired. I responded to online application and was called within a few days. I came in for a face to face interview about a week later. They were interviewing for about a month and when I was selected I was told training will be in another 3 weeks so I waited another 2 weeks to start.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you are right for this job? Where do you see yourself in 5 years.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Havertys (Orlando, FL) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview lasted about two hours in the store. Previously there was about a 20 minute telephone interview.

Interview Questions

• The usual question that is often asked these days is to describe your weaknesses?   Answer Question

There is no salary and only commission. The sales floor is flooded with more salespeople than customers. The hours do not include any days off.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monroe, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Havertys (Monroe, LA) in April 2012.

Interview

I did not get hired.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to come back to Havertys.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Havertys (Atlanta, GA) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview was easy enough and so was the vocabulary and personality test they gave. At the second interview, I was offered the position but was not contacted by the company again. Gave up after calling a few times. The job was not my first choice, but they called me to come in and interview from viewing my resume online. They could have been a little more professional.

Interview Questions

• Once you have built rapport with the customer and have shown them a selection they seem to like, what comes next?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Havertys (Winston-Salem, NC) in November 2010.

Interview

I found a job listing for Charlotte and submitted an online application with a cover letter stating that I lived in Winston-Salem and would like to know when a job opening arose for my city. I was called within the month by the store manager stating that the Charlotte store manager had called him to let him know of my interest and forwarded my resume. He called me in for a personal interview which took about 2 hours. Before my interview, I visited the store as a customer without identifying myself to the sales person who greeted me and shopped to experience the sales floor environment and learn the product offerings, then I researched and studied the company history and products online before my interview. I was very impressed with the consumer-friendly website. In the interview, the store manager asked questions on how I had handled different challenging customer situations in my past position in furniture sales. I asked him questions on expected salary range, how much the top producer made on average, other personal topics to accommodate my family schedule. I felt totally at ease with the store manager, who handled both the initial and follow-up interview and offered me the job. He is a person of integrity who is respected by the others he manages. I was impressed with the reputation of Havertys within the furniture industry among competitors and also in the US among consumers.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer who says they're just looking and holds their hand out when coming in the front door?   2 Answers
    • When an irate customer calls with a complaint how do you handle that?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The only thing I stated as important to me was having 2 days off together and some flexibility to switch my schedule if my husband was traveling out of town. At this level, there is no room for any other requests without having proven oneself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Havertys (Orlando, FL) in February 2010.

Interview

This was an easy interview. Basic questions and the usual ones asking what you can offer the company, what are your weak points and why did you leave your last job. The interviewer was very polite and professional. The people working for the company didn't seem happy. The office wasn't very impressive for a company that has been in business for so many years. Overall, it is a good company, has nice products but doesn't place any value of their sales people.

Interview Questions

• What are your weak points?   1 Answer

Everyone knows the huge mark up in the furniture business. This company, like so many others, doesn't want to pay what the position is worth. Their sales are down and the pay is lower this year than in previous years. This means lower salaries while the cost of living is higher than ever.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Havertys in September 2009.

Interview

Applied online received a call a day later from General Manager. Went for an interview the next day. It was an average interview with average interview questions. Then he asked me if could take a test, which I found out was a personality test. I received a call the next day and started working the next Monday. Very nice interview experience with a good atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to solve a very complex problem and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to use you customer service skills and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much to negotiate on salary because it is commission based.