Havertys

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Havertys in April 2013.

Interview Details – The interview lasted about two hours in the store.
Previously there was about a 20 minute telephone interview.

Interview Question – The usual question that is often asked these days is to describe your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – There is no salary and only commission.
The sales floor is flooded with more salespeople than customers.
The hours do not include any days off.

Monroe, LA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Havertys in April 2012.

Interview Details – I did not get hired.

Interview Question – Why did I want to come back to Havertys.   View Answer

Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Havertys in September 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was easy enough and so was the vocabulary and personality test they gave. At the second interview, I was offered the position but was not contacted by the company again. Gave up after calling a few times. The job was not my first choice, but they called me to come in and interview from viewing my resume online. They could have been a little more professional.

Interview Question – Once you have built rapport with the customer and have shown them a selection they seem to like, what comes next?   View Answers (3)

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Havertys in November 2010.

Interview Details – I found a job listing for Charlotte and submitted an online application with a cover letter stating that I lived in Winston-Salem and would like to know when a job opening arose for my city. I was called within the month by the store manager stating that the Charlotte store manager had called him to let him know of my interest and forwarded my resume. He called me in for a personal interview which took about 2 hours. Before my interview, I visited the store as a customer without identifying myself to the sales person who greeted me and shopped to experience the sales floor environment and learn the product offerings, then I researched and studied the company history and products online before my interview. I was very impressed with the consumer-friendly website. In the interview, the store manager asked questions on how I had handled different challenging customer situations in my past position in furniture sales. I asked him questions on expected salary range, how much the top producer made on average, other personal topics to accommodate my family schedule. I felt totally at ease with the store manager, who handled both the initial and follow-up interview and offered me the job. He is a person of integrity who is respected by the others he manages. I was impressed with the reputation of Havertys within the furniture industry among competitors and also in the US among consumers.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer who says they're just looking and holds their hand out when coming in the front door?   View Answers (2)
  • When an irate customer calls with a complaint how do you handle that?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The only thing I stated as important to me was having 2 days off together and some flexibility to switch my schedule if my husband was traveling out of town. At this level, there is no room for any other requests without having proven oneself.

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Havertys in February 2010.

Interview Details – This was an easy interview. Basic questions and the usual ones asking what you can offer the company, what are your weak points and why did you leave your last job. The interviewer was very polite and professional. The people working for the company didn't seem happy. The office wasn't very impressive for a company that has been in business for so many years. Overall, it is a good company, has nice products but doesn't place any value of their sales people.

Interview Question – What are your weak points?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Everyone knows the huge mark up in the furniture business. This company, like so many others, doesn't want to pay what the position is worth. Their sales are down and the pay is lower this year than in previous years. This means lower salaries while the cost of living is higher than ever.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Havertys in September 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online received a call a day later from General Manager. Went for an interview the next day. It was an average interview with average interview questions. Then he asked me if could take a test, which I found out was a personality test. I received a call the next day and started working the next Monday. Very nice interview experience with a good atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to solve a very complex problem and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you had to use you customer service skills and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate on salary because it is commission based.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Havertys

Worked for Havertys? Contribute to the Community!