Hays plc Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2014
Updated Sep 28, 2014

3.3

Office Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hays plc in January 2012.

standard interview questions (1) why do you want this job? (2) what are your strengths and weaknesses. waited a really long time for the supervisor, overall interview went great.

Recruitment Consultant Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hays plc.

1 x Phone interview
    1 x skype interview
    1 x phone interview
    1 x in person interview with directors
    1 x assessment/panel interview

One on one interview was with several directors coming in one after another. I didn't think I got it but they asked me to return the following day. Next day was a panel interview with several senior managers and plenty of role play. Still awaiting to hear whether I got an offer or not.

Payroll Officer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hays plc.

One face-to-face interview, i declined they then asked me to come back for a second as they wanted to try and convince me again. The orignial interview sounded more like a call centre than a payroll department

Interview Questions
    • How to you handle being yelled at and general confrontation   Answer Question

Resourcer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hays plc in September 2014.

I originally applied for the role of Recruitment Consultant but during my first face-to-face interview, the manager suggested to me to start as a Resourcer, because they were not sure about my sales drive.

1) Phone Interview
    Common questions such as, what have you been doing since graduating? Why are you interested in this role? Why Hays? etc.

2) Competency Based Interview
    As mentioned above, the manager suggested another role.
    Questions included, why recruitment? Give an example of ... etc.

3) Assessment Center
    3 interviewers present. Preparation time is timed.
    I had to travel to Reading for the assessment center, starting at 10AM. It lasted approx. 4 hours which is a little longer than their expected time, but I did not feel upset about it going over time. I had a very good and enjoyable time at the assessment center, much better planned than another company's assessment I had attended. The activities the assessment consists of gives you a great experience on doing something you would expect to do, if given the job.
    a) Presentation on given statement. You choose to argue for or against the statement. Everyone is given a different statement.
    b) Selling a candidate to a client, with the CV given. Everyone will be selling a candidate for the same role.
    c) Business development call, following a situation given to you. Again, everyone's situation is different.
    - Tour around the office with time to ask questions to the members of the team -
    d) Writing a job advert. This is done while the interviewers are discussing the candidates, but the job advert is not a waste of time. It is mentioned and taken to the next stage.

4) Interview with the director
    Similar questions to the CBI, but more personal questions regarding interests are asked. How do you think you have got on during this process?

Although I passed the interview with the director, I was invited in again for an informal meeting. I met with a lower position member of staff, who was a team leader, and they asked the same questions as were asked in the previous interviews. They spoke as if I was to get the job, asking what would you do if... (you asked a candidate for 2 addresses/references but they only turned up with one? Would you still interview them?).

Later that day, I got a phone call and they told me I was not getting the job. I was a little upset despite getting all the way to the end and even pass the final interview to not get the job, especially having been referred to another role from the beginning.

I got a phone call a week later, as I had asked for them for their services to find me something suitable, and I spoke with the team leader and he mentioned that I showed great interest in the Recruitment Consultant role. However, I was happy with the resourcer role and I did voice that out to them, but I also showed interest in staying long-term with the company and progressing eventually to a Recruitment Consultant role. which is why they might have thought I really wanted that position.

Interview Questions
    • It is expected, but some difficult comments of questions are asked during the role play. You should not feel pressured or hesitate much in giving a response.   Answer Question

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hays plc in September 2014.

The interview process was pretty straightforward and very professional. However I gathered that I did not fit the average look of the company.Of course they wont admit it but one can always tell. Gave me a hint that I would be there on Friday for the assessment centre however never even bothered to give me feedback (positive or negative) which the interviewer promised.

Interview Questions
    • How as a brand would I stand out from other candidates?   Answer Question

Recruitment Consultant Interview

After the company checked my cv and resume, I was invited for the assessment centre with other 6 candidates. I was assessed for my capabilities and basic knowledge regarding the industry and the job through various ways such as presentation, role-playing, and so on. Few days later, I was invited for several face-to-face interviews with directors and team leaders. After 2 months of process, they asked for my referees' contact for the reference check, and finally gave me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Choose a statement in the list and make a 3min speech to make others to agree on the statement.   Answer Question

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Hays plc in August 2014.

Applied via company website. Got a call back and had a very simple phone interview, what motivates you, why you'd be good etc.

Face to face interview- competency based. Tell me a time when etc.

Assessment centre- Lots of role plays. In the role plays always try to secure a meeting with the client.
    They will throw objections at you that you won't have a clue about. Just have to think on your feet and don't get flustered.

Whole process is very slick. They do a good job of selling the company to you.

Interview Questions
    • One of the role plays is selling someone's CV. There will be a problem/gap with their CV- just make a feasible explanation for this.   Answer Question
    None

Accounts Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hays plc in August 2014.

applied through monster,got interview the sceond day,it was a skype interview,questions like what do you know about the company and the position. The manager was very friendly and answered my question professionally. overall a good expreince.

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Sent in application. Called in for an interview. Friendly interviewers. Huge focus on their core beliefs and competencies. Interview was conducted by four individuals in succession. Questions were competency based (give an example of time when...)

Intern Interview

The hiring process includes an Interview with the Regional Director. A well prepared candidate will find it very easy and comfortable. Knowledge about the company - values, vision and about the recruitment industry will benefit a lot. Knowing about your work and being able to talk about your achievements confidently will be a huge plus.