Hays plc

Updated Dec 3, 2014
Updated Dec 3, 2014

3.3

Office Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hays plc in January 2012.

standard interview questions (1) why do you want this job? (2) what are your strengths and weaknesses. waited a really long time for the supervisor, overall interview went great.

Associate Recruiter Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Hays plc.

Phone interview followed by manager interview and assessment day but get an interview with director if no day is being held. The phone interview was pleasant ans soon after i got a panel interview which involved a sales rolepaly.

Interview Questions
    • there wasn't one as such but be prepared to defend your personality they test your resilience.   Answer Question

Got a different offer.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hays plc.

It took me three weeks to have interviews with both the senior trainer and the team manager. As I was not in my home country, both interviews were on the phone. Had great chats with both interviewers. They are really looking for someone who is passionate about the recruitment industry. Also, the team manager is looking for some market knowledge of your selected specialism.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me how do Boolean Search for a particular positions in HSBC?   Answer Question

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Very thorough process, assessment centre, number of interviews discussing both skills and fit. They test both sales and interpersonal skills. You meet a range of people from consultants to senior managers.

Not much negotiation. They have standard range of pay and stick to it.

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hays plc in November 2014.

I telephoned direct to ask for an interview. I was seen the following day. Interview was very professional. Definitely glad I did a lot of research on the company itself.

Interview Questions
    • 1st interview, straight into a role-play. Telephone call (cold call) with a new client who is advertising with someone else. Get their business by telling them you have a candidate lined up.   Answer Question

Recruitment Consultant Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hays plc.

1 x Phone interview
    1 x skype interview
    1 x phone interview
    1 x in person interview with directors
    1 x assessment/panel interview

One on one interview was with several directors coming in one after another. I didn't think I got it but they asked me to return the following day. Next day was a panel interview with several senior managers and plenty of role play. Still awaiting to hear whether I got an offer or not.

Payroll Officer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hays plc.

One face-to-face interview, i declined they then asked me to come back for a second as they wanted to try and convince me again. The orignial interview sounded more like a call centre than a payroll department

Interview Questions
    • How to you handle being yelled at and general confrontation   Answer Question

Resourcer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hays plc in September 2014.

I originally applied for the role of Recruitment Consultant but during my first face-to-face interview, the manager suggested to me to start as a Resourcer, because they were not sure about my sales drive.

1) Phone Interview
    Common questions such as, what have you been doing since graduating? Why are you interested in this role? Why Hays? etc.

2) Competency Based Interview
    As mentioned above, the manager suggested another role.
    Questions included, why recruitment? Give an example of ... etc.

3) Assessment Center
    3 interviewers present. Preparation time is timed.
    I had to travel to Reading for the assessment center, starting at 10AM. It lasted approx. 4 hours which is a little longer than their expected time, but I did not feel upset about it going over time. I had a very good and enjoyable time at the assessment center, much better planned than another company's assessment I had attended. The activities the assessment consists of gives you a great experience on doing something you would expect to do, if given the job.
    a) Presentation on given statement. You choose to argue for or against the statement. Everyone is given a different statement.
    b) Selling a candidate to a client, with the CV given. Everyone will be selling a candidate for the same role.
    c) Business development call, following a situation given to you. Again, everyone's situation is different.
    - Tour around the office with time to ask questions to the members of the team -
    d) Writing a job advert. This is done while the interviewers are discussing the candidates, but the job advert is not a waste of time. It is mentioned and taken to the next stage.

4) Interview with the director
    Similar questions to the CBI, but more personal questions regarding interests are asked. How do you think you have got on during this process?

Although I passed the interview with the director, I was invited in again for an informal meeting. I met with a lower position member of staff, who was a team leader, and they asked the same questions as were asked in the previous interviews. They spoke as if I was to get the job, asking what would you do if... (you asked a candidate for 2 addresses/references but they only turned up with one? Would you still interview them?).

Later that day, I got a phone call and they told me I was not getting the job. I was a little upset despite getting all the way to the end and even pass the final interview to not get the job, especially having been referred to another role from the beginning.

I got a phone call a week later, as I had asked for them for their services to find me something suitable, and I spoke with the team leader and he mentioned that I showed great interest in the Recruitment Consultant role. However, I was happy with the resourcer role and I did voice that out to them, but I also showed interest in staying long-term with the company and progressing eventually to a Recruitment Consultant role. which is why they might have thought I really wanted that position.

Interview Questions
    • It is expected, but some difficult comments of questions are asked during the role play. You should not feel pressured or hesitate much in giving a response.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hays plc in September 2014.

Professional office and people. 4 step interview process, includes phone interview, 2 face to face interview and lastly an assessment centre. Assessment centre includes 4 session.
    1. Agree or disagree with a sentence
    2. Business call. Sell a candidate to a client
    3. Making a business development call
    4. Producing a advertisement.

Interview Questions
    • Assessment centre. Make a sales call to a client to recommend a potential candidate.   Answer Question

Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hays plc in September 2014.

There are four stages to go through.
    Phone - why you want to go into recruitment
    One to One with HR Interviewer - work / career background more about yourself. 2 role plays, think quick on your feet
    Assessment Day 2x Role Play, selling in candiate
    Regional Director - this is the one where you have to win over, be careful what you say.