Hays plc Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014
Updated Sep 10, 2014

3.3

Office Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Hays plc in January 2012.

standard interview questions (1) why do you want this job? (2) what are your strengths and weaknesses. waited a really long time for the supervisor, overall interview went great.

Associate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hays plc in June 2014.

The interview process was a bit of a whirlwind, having a brief telephone discussion, followed by a short internal interview on a Monday. Then they got me in for an assessment centre on the following Friday and, after various tasks throughout the day, offered me the job at the end of the assessment day.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work in recruitment?"   View Answer
    I should have negotiated more, being naive I just took the first thing that they offered me.

Associate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Hays plc in June 2014.

First stage telephone interview over what I knew about recruitment and why I wanted to get into it. Second stage face-to-face competency based and some role plays.
    Third stage assessment day with role plays, introduction to the team and face-to-face with a director.

Interview Questions
    • A presentation based on a quote you were provided with. 1 minute preparation then 3-5 minutes presentation on the topic.   Answer Question
    I would advise to ask in detail the terms and conditions of the offer, such as job title, start date and salary. Also about the commission structure, as to gain a better understanding of what the package includes.

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Hays plc in August 2014.

Applied via company website. Got a call back and had a very simple phone interview, what motivates you, why you'd be good etc.

Face to face interview- competency based. Tell me a time when etc.

Assessment centre- Lots of role plays. In the role plays always try to secure a meeting with the client.
    They will throw objections at you that you won't have a clue about. Just have to think on your feet and don't get flustered.

Whole process is very slick. They do a good job of selling the company to you.

Interview Questions
    • One of the role plays is selling someone's CV. There will be a problem/gap with their CV- just make a feasible explanation for this.   Answer Question
    None

Recruitment Consultant Interview

After the company checked my cv and resume, I was invited for the assessment centre with other 6 candidates. I was assessed for my capabilities and basic knowledge regarding the industry and the job through various ways such as presentation, role-playing, and so on. Few days later, I was invited for several face-to-face interviews with directors and team leaders. After 2 months of process, they asked for my referees' contact for the reference check, and finally gave me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Choose a statement in the list and make a 3min speech to make others to agree on the statement.   Answer Question

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Hays plc in July 2014.

1) PHONE INTERVIEW:
    General questions, why do you want to get into recruitment? How would you build up your candidate base? (Advertise jobs, interview people, use your own network) How do you feel about targets? Why do you want to work for Hays?

2) FACE TO FACE
    Tell me a time you exceeded customer expectations. What type of people do you not get on with. What route has taken you to recruitment? How do you deal with rejection?
    SELLING A CANDIDATE TO A CLIENT ROLE PLAY (see the advice given below)

3) ASSESSMENT CENTER
    a) Presentation on a certain topic. You have to say if you are pro or against the statement
    b) Selling a candidate to a client. (see the advice given below)
    c) Business development call based on a certain topic
    d) Writing a job advert (look at the Hays website as they have heaps on it, the way they want it)

4) INTERVIEW WITH A DIRECTOR
    I didn't get to this stage

All my advice is based on the feedback i got from the director on the stuff i did wrong

Interview Questions
    • Role play selling a candidate to a client.   View Answer

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Sent in application. Called in for an interview. Friendly interviewers. Huge focus on their core beliefs and competencies. Interview was conducted by four individuals in succession. Questions were competency based (give an example of time when...)

Intern Interview

The hiring process includes an Interview with the Regional Director. A well prepared candidate will find it very easy and comfortable. Knowledge about the company - values, vision and about the recruitment industry will benefit a lot. Knowing about your work and being able to talk about your achievements confidently will be a huge plus.

Recruitment Consultant Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at Hays plc.

I applied when I participated in the London Career forum event and had a short, 10 min interview on the same day where I was asked general questions regarding my background and interest in Hays. I was called back to the assessment centre where there were 4 different exercises- including selling a candidate, individual sales presentation, group work/discussion, and role playing. Finally, I was called back for a Skype interview with the senior division director.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Southampton, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Hays plc in August 2011.

very big on their hays core values and is very important to revise these, like people to have good knowledge of company background in terms of specialisms and countries operating etc. They like people who are not afraid to use the phone so come across in that manner, very big on sales and business development. Interview process starts with phone interview must come across eager and motivated and well prepared. Then a formal interview, then a stage where you will be asked to sell a product to them which they will select on the spot, you will then be presented with a CV told to revise it for 20 mins then sell it to them, key is to always push for an interview at the end. You then may or may not be asked into the office and get to do a business development sales call. After that they may offer or you may require to then meet your potentially selected line manager.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult would be the on the spot sales   View Answer
    Slight negotiation on salary but that was it. They recently changed their associate consultant to £17.5k basic instead of £20k like when I started, I however have known people to secure the £20k

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!