Hays plc

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Recruitment Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview Details – Interview face to face with one or more managers/ directors
Assessment centre

Interview Question – Do you think recruitment is more HR or sales?   Answer Question

Recruitment Consultant

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hays plc in October 2013.

Interview Details – Phone Interview with HR
Skype Interview with Managers

Interview Question – Give me the exact step by step process of how you would bring the candidate(s) to the client.   Answer Question

Recruitment Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview Details – The interview process is quite unstructured and each country has its own framework
The company values extroversion more than everything, they like aggressive and risk taking consultants.
Show your competitive side.

Interview Question – They can ask you how much do you want to earn, Don't hesitate giving high values, as there is a high variable component on salaries.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – for consultant level there is no much margin for negotiations. The salary ranges are defined.

Recruitment Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview Details – 1. Phone interview 2. Face to face interview 3. Group assessment 4. Meeting with Branch Manager and Western Sydney Director

Research the Hays website in and out, do the interactive recruitment test they have, try score the highest in it, tell them in the interview you completed and what score you did, this impressed them when I mentioned it in the interview. Know their core values, I got asked to relate a real life work & personal example to each of them to prove I possess those values also e.g. tenacious, expert etc.

Most difficult stage of this interview process was the group assessment. There is only so much you can prepare for, but to comment on my experience, alot had to do with how quick off the mark you were, how confident you sounded when speaking. Examples of exercises and tasks were; each candidate given a statement i.e. Is it important to know the company or client you are selling to? Is Sales a dirty word? etc. Then you would have to prepare a brief 2-3min speech within 10-15 mins.

Other exercises were; Cold calling to employers, these scenarios varied, so brush up on some quirky openers and closers, always be wary of the conversation it could simply be that over the phone they sound really busy, ask them if they need any temp admin assistants or something, thats what I should of done!

And finally, conducting a position analysis with an employer, ask straight forward questions that will derive the most information from the employer about the position. Example, what are the key skills areas you are looking for in the candidate etc.

Successfully moving on from the group assessment, I met with the Branch manager and Area Director, who ask you more and more questions into your experience and work life, why you want to work for Hays etc. Just rehash alot of the questions you were asked in your phone and 1:1 interview at the beginning of the interview process.

After the whole process I was successful in getting an offer, but had to decline due to them not approving my leave for several weeks 6 months down the track which is understandable. 3 weeks seems to be the most amount of leave they can approve within a year for staff.

Overall, Hays appears to be an extremely professional company, which has a strong focus on developing those who are a blank canvass or new to recruitment so they can mould them into the type of recruiters they want. Will try my luck again with them, since getting my travel out of the way!

Interview Question – Please list real life examples, personal and work and relate them to each of our company values?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Would not approve leave to go overseas, would only approve 3 weeks. If you intend to travel, get it all out of the way first before thinking about joining Hays, spoke to one of the branch managers, they said they had been there for several years and still is only approved 3 weeks.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview Details – In Canada - a short Skype interview to gauge your understanding of the role and the company.
Completion of psychometric profile
Assessment Centre
1-2 Interviews with Management

Interview Question – The Assessment Centre   View Answers (2)

Manchester, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview Details – Intitial telephone interview - very basic. Why do you want the job? What experiences do you have?
Face to face interview - going through CV and pointing out how your experiences can help you in the job - sales focused
Assessment centre - group and individual tasks - introduce yourself, given a quote and need to argue for or against it, pitch a candidate to a client, given a random scenario and need to pretend you are having a telephone conversation
If successful, you are given another one on one interview with the senior manager of your 'would be' team

Interview Question – Manager on pretend telephone call can be very harsh and abrupt   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Tokyo (Japan)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hays plc in July 2013.

Interview Details – Assessment center with very tricky questions

Interview Question – Simulating calls to a company that has recently lost a staff because of you   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Hays plc in November 2012.

Interview Details – - Skype interview
- Interviewer rushed through questionnaire
- Lack in professionalism
- Background noise
- Interviewer got distracted by other people in the room

I hope this interview process doesn't reflect Hays' recruitment process for clients! Position was not what I expected.

Interview Question – What do you know about Hays?
What do you know about the position?
  Answer Question

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

The process took a day - interviewed at Hays plc in May 2012.

Interview Details – It was very brief, explanatory and respectful yet thorough in the short time we talked on the phone. I was unable to move forward in the interview process because I was taking summer classes and the position could not understandably accommodate. I didn't get the position but she did welcome me to get back in touch with her at the end of the summer term. It is this kind of attitude that makes even a result that you didn't want to have feel pleasant at the end of the day!

Interview Question – Would you be able to explain to me your understanding of the position?   View Answer

Recruitment Consultant

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Hays plc in July 2008.

Interview Details – They found me through Monster and called me initially to promote the job. Following this I had 2 telephone interviews with the same person about a week apart (this was also the person who called me in the 1st place!!). I was told I was through to the face to face interview but had to wait nearly a month for this to take place. This was with the permanent recruitment manager and temporary recruitment manager. I was told a few days later that I was through to the next interview. A 2 week wait for this interview which was with the permanent recruitment manager again and this time the regional manager. Again went well, the NEXT interview was with the regional manager again and the regional director who seemed to hate graduates and gave a big grilling on whether I could manage a full time job after just coming out of university!! - This is a graduate job by the way!! - Then, was told it went well but had to wait another 2 weeks for the actual decision. When I went in and was told I got the job I was given a start date nearly 4 weeks away from then.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time when you did not complete a project or task   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hays plc

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hays plc Recruitment Consultant interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hays plc employees and interview candidates.