Hays plc

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Hays plc

Interview Details – Sent in application. Called in for an interview. Friendly interviewers. Huge focus on their core beliefs and competencies. Interview was conducted by four individuals in succession. Questions were competency based (give an example of time when...)

London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hays plc in June 2012.

Interview Details – 2 face to face interviews with different directors
no phone interview - very friendly at interview - must show drive and passion and you will be fine!
cut throat environment but you must rise to the challenge and portray this at interview stage to convey your personality as it is all about personality.

Interview Question – what motivates you   View Answer

Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Hays plc in April 2014.

Interview Details – Telephone interview, talking through your cv, you were then invited to the assessment day, which included group activities, role plays and question and answer, then after we were invited for a final interview with the director and senior manager

Interview Question – Role plays on selling candidates to clients   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Recruitment Consultant
Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hays plc in March 2014.

Interview Details – Stage One - Telephone interview
     - questions about why you want the job and why you'd be good at it - everyone must pass this stage?!

Stage Two - Competency based Face-to-Face Interview
    - Same as stage one, only in person. They will spring a role play on you, so be prepared to act out a sales pitch. They are looking for composure, ability to sell coherently, they want the candidate placed in one way or another, so things like offering training posts and temps come in handy - they love that.

Stage Three - Assessment Centre
     - Presentation on a topic of their choice - unseen. You one minute to prepare, two minutes to present. This is easy and they just want you to be calm under pressure.
     - Selling a candidate - You get a CV and rank in a team, you then role play to sell your candidate. I had the hardest candidate to sell but got him work experience, others had outstanding candidates but didn't get anywhere. It is tough, but it's a great insight.
   - Business Development Call - You get an unseen topic and then (back to back with an assessor) you role play a phone call. My topic was that the client had been sent a mailer, and I was giving them a courtesy call. All you need to do is bare in mind that every single role play is sales based, so try and sell them someone even if it doesn't really seem to fit in with your topic. Booking a meeting goes down very well.
   - Writing a job advert - waste of time, they don't even look at it and leave the room to decide whether you're through or not wilst you're doing it.

Stage Four - Director.
  - You meet a director in the centre that you've applied for. Because the assessment centre can take you away from your chosen office, you don't meet anyone from where you will potentially be working until this interview, which is daft really. They also have little idea of how you have performed, other than you are sat in front of them so you must have done okay. This stage trades really on your sales history. If you haven't got one, then you've been strung along for three interviews because this is likely to be the end of the road for you. They go hard at you, which is fair enough, but this stage lets down the whole process. Or at least it did in the Cambridge centre. I didn't get the job, but I've had experiences of other firms since then who have been more professional and much more respectful.

Interview Question – 'What on earth are you doing here then?'   View Answer

Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hays plc in April 2014.

Interview Details – 4 stage interview process.
First stage was just a basic phone interview, why do you want the job, what skills do you have that would make you a good recruitment consultant, why hays etc.
Second stage was a face to face interview which was mostly competency based with a little role play at the end, around one hour long.
Third stage was to be an assessment centre where I was told it would be more role play, selling skills etc but in a group situation. However didn't attend as was offered a position with another company.

Interview Question – From my experience there was nothing that was unexpected or difficult. Standard competency based questions that should be fine with a bit of perpetration done.   Answer Question

Recruitment Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview Details – Interview face to face with one or more managers/ directors
Assessment centre

Interview Question – Do you think recruitment is more HR or sales?   Answer Question

Recruitment Consultant

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hays plc in October 2013.

Interview Details – Phone Interview with HR
Skype Interview with Managers

Interview Question – Give me the exact step by step process of how you would bring the candidate(s) to the client.   Answer Question

Recruitment Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview Details – The interview process is quite unstructured and each country has its own framework
The company values extroversion more than everything, they like aggressive and risk taking consultants.
Show your competitive side.

Interview Question – They can ask you how much do you want to earn, Don't hesitate giving high values, as there is a high variable component on salaries.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – for consultant level there is no much margin for negotiations. The salary ranges are defined.

Recruitment Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview Details – 1. Phone interview 2. Face to face interview 3. Group assessment 4. Meeting with Branch Manager and Western Sydney Director

Research the Hays website in and out, do the interactive recruitment test they have, try score the highest in it, tell them in the interview you completed and what score you did, this impressed them when I mentioned it in the interview. Know their core values, I got asked to relate a real life work & personal example to each of them to prove I possess those values also e.g. tenacious, expert etc.

Most difficult stage of this interview process was the group assessment. There is only so much you can prepare for, but to comment on my experience, alot had to do with how quick off the mark you were, how confident you sounded when speaking. Examples of exercises and tasks were; each candidate given a statement i.e. Is it important to know the company or client you are selling to? Is Sales a dirty word? etc. Then you would have to prepare a brief 2-3min speech within 10-15 mins.

Other exercises were; Cold calling to employers, these scenarios varied, so brush up on some quirky openers and closers, always be wary of the conversation it could simply be that over the phone they sound really busy, ask them if they need any temp admin assistants or something, thats what I should of done!

And finally, conducting a position analysis with an employer, ask straight forward questions that will derive the most information from the employer about the position. Example, what are the key skills areas you are looking for in the candidate etc.

Successfully moving on from the group assessment, I met with the Branch manager and Area Director, who ask you more and more questions into your experience and work life, why you want to work for Hays etc. Just rehash alot of the questions you were asked in your phone and 1:1 interview at the beginning of the interview process.

After the whole process I was successful in getting an offer, but had to decline due to them not approving my leave for several weeks 6 months down the track which is understandable. 3 weeks seems to be the most amount of leave they can approve within a year for staff.

Overall, Hays appears to be an extremely professional company, which has a strong focus on developing those who are a blank canvass or new to recruitment so they can mould them into the type of recruiters they want. Will try my luck again with them, since getting my travel out of the way!

Interview Question – Please list real life examples, personal and work and relate them to each of our company values?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Would not approve leave to go overseas, would only approve 3 weeks. If you intend to travel, get it all out of the way first before thinking about joining Hays, spoke to one of the branch managers, they said they had been there for several years and still is only approved 3 weeks.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview Details – In Canada - a short Skype interview to gauge your understanding of the role and the company.
Completion of psychometric profile
Assessment Centre
1-2 Interviews with Management

Interview Question – The Assessment Centre   View Answers (2)

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!