Hays plc Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Sep 10, 2014

3.3

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Trainee Recruitment Consultant (One Year Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Hays plc in March 2013.

• Exercise 1: individual sales presentation
    AIM: to convince your audience that your argument is credible and worth considering.
    • Exercise 2: selling in a candidate
    AIM: to sell the unique points of your candidate to complement the job and ensuring you secure an interview.
    • Exercise 3: making a business development call
    AIM: to build rapport with the organisation and address any previous issues they have had. If there is the opportunity for a visit, to fill a job or offer any service, ensure you suggest it.
    • Exercise 4: Producing an advertisement
    AIM: to sell Hays to a Seek audience through our Hays Values.

Interview Questions
    • No particularly hard questions, but the first assessment centre I had been to that had such a hands on approach in doing some of the jobs I would have to do in my position.   Answer Question
    As an intern, I wasn't really in the position to negotiate.

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Hays plc.

Intitial telephone interview - very basic. Why do you want the job? What experiences do you have?
    Face to face interview - going through CV and pointing out how your experiences can help you in the job - sales focused
    Assessment centre - group and individual tasks - introduce yourself, given a quote and need to argue for or against it, pitch a candidate to a client, given a random scenario and need to pretend you are having a telephone conversation
    If successful, you are given another one on one interview with the senior manager of your 'would be' team

Interview Questions
    • Manager on pretend telephone call can be very harsh and abrupt   Answer Question

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hays plc in July 2009.

Applied to advert, contacted by Internal Recruiter and vetted. Attended group assessment and proceeded to second interview. Really liked the style of the interviewers - corporate but not detached from reality.

Interview Questions
    • What's the greatest challenge you've faced in your personal life, and how did you overcome it?   View Answer
    None involved - corporate pay structure which was non-negotiable.

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Hays plc in March 2014.

I sent a speculative email to the regional manager who responded within two days. She asked why I was interested in becoming a recruitment consultant. Next was a pre-screening interview, usual questions such as - why? what do you know about recruitment? Describe a time when you overcame a challenge? I passed that, there was an assessment centre however I wasn't able to attend that. I moved on to a one on one interview with a managing director which lasted 1hr 30mins, it was gruelling at times and involved role play. After this was another challenging interview with an executive director, again 1hr 30 mins and he was tough, I won't lie, it was tough, also involved role play, went into depth about recruitment, why hays? what makes us different from our competitors etc? Finally was an informal interview with my would be manager.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you over excelled in your personal life and how could you adapt this to recruitment?   View Answer
    There isn't much room for negotiation.

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hays plc in March 2014.

Stage One - Telephone interview
         - questions about why you want the job and why you'd be good at it - everyone must pass this stage?!

Stage Two - Competency based Face-to-Face Interview
        - Same as stage one, only in person. They will spring a role play on you, so be prepared to act out a sales pitch. They are looking for composure, ability to sell coherently, they want the candidate placed in one way or another, so things like offering training posts and temps come in handy - they love that.

Stage Three - Assessment Centre
         - Presentation on a topic of their choice - unseen. You one minute to prepare, two minutes to present. This is easy and they just want you to be calm under pressure.
         - Selling a candidate - You get a CV and rank in a team, you then role play to sell your candidate. I had the hardest candidate to sell but got him work experience, others had outstanding candidates but didn't get anywhere. It is tough, but it's a great insight.
       - Business Development Call - You get an unseen topic and then (back to back with an assessor) you role play a phone call. My topic was that the client had been sent a mailer, and I was giving them a courtesy call. All you need to do is bare in mind that every single role play is sales based, so try and sell them someone even if it doesn't really seem to fit in with your topic. Booking a meeting goes down very well.
       - Writing a job advert - waste of time, they don't even look at it and leave the room to decide whether you're through or not wilst you're doing it.

Stage Four - Director.
      - You meet a director in the centre that you've applied for. Because the assessment centre can take you away from your chosen office, you don't meet anyone from where you will potentially be working until this interview, which is daft really. They also have little idea of how you have performed, other than you are sat in front of them so you must have done okay. This stage trades really on your sales history. If you haven't got one, then you've been strung along for three interviews because this is likely to be the end of the road for you. They go hard at you, which is fair enough, but this stage lets down the whole process. Or at least it did in the Cambridge centre. I didn't get the job, but I've had experiences of other firms since then who have been more professional and much more respectful.

Interview Questions
    • 'What on earth are you doing here then?'   View Answer

Recruitment Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Hays plc.

Very professional. Telephone Interview, One on One interview, Group Assessment Day, Finals Interviews. Pretty run of the mill, but be expected to know a lot about recruitment industry as a whole, competitors etc, find out as much as you can about the company, their computer systems etc, The aggressive behavior I've seen at other group assessment days with other recruitment companies simply not tolerated, professional and friendly but firm is your best way to go. Be prepare to be challenged to the brink though, they want to see you can stand up under pressure. Very supportive interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Roleplays- phone, meeting with clients. You pick the title of your role play at complete random so it could be a nightmare or easy, just be confident and focused.

Question in particular.... they will get very deep into your motivations, your aspirations, career hopes for next ten years and want to understand your personality
        View Answer
    None

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Southampton, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Hays plc in August 2011.

very big on their hays core values and is very important to revise these, like people to have good knowledge of company background in terms of specialisms and countries operating etc. They like people who are not afraid to use the phone so come across in that manner, very big on sales and business development. Interview process starts with phone interview must come across eager and motivated and well prepared. Then a formal interview, then a stage where you will be asked to sell a product to them which they will select on the spot, you will then be presented with a CV told to revise it for 20 mins then sell it to them, key is to always push for an interview at the end. You then may or may not be asked into the office and get to do a business development sales call. After that they may offer or you may require to then meet your potentially selected line manager.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult would be the on the spot sales   View Answer
    Slight negotiation on salary but that was it. They recently changed their associate consultant to £17.5k basic instead of £20k like when I started, I however have known people to secure the £20k

Senior Consultant Interview

A fairly robust and rigorous process, with applicants undergoing a 4-step process. Firstly an telephone interview, followed by a group assessment day and then a one-to-one with the hiring Director. The last step involves 2 hours of live phone work in the office to assess skill level.

Interview Questions
    • Demonstrate an event which proves a level of business intuition; Demonstrate an even which shows a level of forward thinking and ability to react; Demonstrate an event where you have successfully negotiated to conclude a deal   View Answer
    The negotiation phase is less flexible when coming on board as a trainee. Don't expect much movement on these basic packages. More senior level applicants will have a small degree of flexibility.

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sheffield, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Hays plc in April 2014.

Telephone interview, talking through your cv, you were then invited to the assessment day, which included group activities, role plays and question and answer, then after we were invited for a final interview with the director and senior manager

There was no negotiation

Associate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Hays plc in June 2014.

First stage telephone interview over what I knew about recruitment and why I wanted to get into it. Second stage face-to-face competency based and some role plays.
    Third stage assessment day with role plays, introduction to the team and face-to-face with a director.

Interview Questions
    • A presentation based on a quote you were provided with. 1 minute preparation then 3-5 minutes presentation on the topic.   Answer Question
    I would advise to ask in detail the terms and conditions of the offer, such as job title, start date and salary. Also about the commission structure, as to gain a better understanding of what the package includes.

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!