Hays plc

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Trainee Recruitment Consultant (One Year Internship) Interview

Trainee Recruitment Consultant (One Year Internship)
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hays plc in March 2013.

Interview Details – • Exercise 1: individual sales presentation
AIM: to convince your audience that your argument is credible and worth considering.
• Exercise 2: selling in a candidate
AIM: to sell the unique points of your candidate to complement the job and ensuring you secure an interview.
• Exercise 3: making a business development call
AIM: to build rapport with the organisation and address any previous issues they have had. If there is the opportunity for a visit, to fill a job or offer any service, ensure you suggest it.
• Exercise 4: Producing an advertisement
AIM: to sell Hays to a Seek audience through our Hays Values.

Interview Question – No particularly hard questions, but the first assessment centre I had been to that had such a hands on approach in doing some of the jobs I would have to do in my position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As an intern, I wasn't really in the position to negotiate.

Manchester, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview Details – Intitial telephone interview - very basic. Why do you want the job? What experiences do you have?
Face to face interview - going through CV and pointing out how your experiences can help you in the job - sales focused
Assessment centre - group and individual tasks - introduce yourself, given a quote and need to argue for or against it, pitch a candidate to a client, given a random scenario and need to pretend you are having a telephone conversation
If successful, you are given another one on one interview with the senior manager of your 'would be' team

Interview Question – Manager on pretend telephone call can be very harsh and abrupt   Answer Question

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Hays plc in March 2014.

Interview Details – I sent a speculative email to the regional manager who responded within two days. She asked why I was interested in becoming a recruitment consultant. Next was a pre-screening interview, usual questions such as - why? what do you know about recruitment? Describe a time when you overcame a challenge? I passed that, there was an assessment centre however I wasn't able to attend that. I moved on to a one on one interview with a managing director which lasted 1hr 30mins, it was gruelling at times and involved role play. After this was another challenging interview with an executive director, again 1hr 30 mins and he was tough, I won't lie, it was tough, also involved role play, went into depth about recruitment, why hays? what makes us different from our competitors etc? Finally was an informal interview with my would be manager.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you over excelled in your personal life and how could you adapt this to recruitment?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't much room for negotiation.

Recruitment Consultant
Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hays plc in March 2014.

Interview Details – Stage One - Telephone interview
     - questions about why you want the job and why you'd be good at it - everyone must pass this stage?!

Stage Two - Competency based Face-to-Face Interview
    - Same as stage one, only in person. They will spring a role play on you, so be prepared to act out a sales pitch. They are looking for composure, ability to sell coherently, they want the candidate placed in one way or another, so things like offering training posts and temps come in handy - they love that.

Stage Three - Assessment Centre
     - Presentation on a topic of their choice - unseen. You one minute to prepare, two minutes to present. This is easy and they just want you to be calm under pressure.
     - Selling a candidate - You get a CV and rank in a team, you then role play to sell your candidate. I had the hardest candidate to sell but got him work experience, others had outstanding candidates but didn't get anywhere. It is tough, but it's a great insight.
   - Business Development Call - You get an unseen topic and then (back to back with an assessor) you role play a phone call. My topic was that the client had been sent a mailer, and I was giving them a courtesy call. All you need to do is bare in mind that every single role play is sales based, so try and sell them someone even if it doesn't really seem to fit in with your topic. Booking a meeting goes down very well.
   - Writing a job advert - waste of time, they don't even look at it and leave the room to decide whether you're through or not wilst you're doing it.

Stage Four - Director.
  - You meet a director in the centre that you've applied for. Because the assessment centre can take you away from your chosen office, you don't meet anyone from where you will potentially be working until this interview, which is daft really. They also have little idea of how you have performed, other than you are sat in front of them so you must have done okay. This stage trades really on your sales history. If you haven't got one, then you've been strung along for three interviews because this is likely to be the end of the road for you. They go hard at you, which is fair enough, but this stage lets down the whole process. Or at least it did in the Cambridge centre. I didn't get the job, but I've had experiences of other firms since then who have been more professional and much more respectful.

Interview Question – 'What on earth are you doing here then?'   View Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant

Interviewed at Hays plc

Interview Details – A fairly robust and rigorous process, with applicants undergoing a 4-step process. Firstly an telephone interview, followed by a group assessment day and then a one-to-one with the hiring Director. The last step involves 2 hours of live phone work in the office to assess skill level.

Interview Question – Demonstrate an event which proves a level of business intuition; Demonstrate an even which shows a level of forward thinking and ability to react; Demonstrate an event where you have successfully negotiated to conclude a deal   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase is less flexible when coming on board as a trainee. Don't expect much movement on these basic packages. More senior level applicants will have a small degree of flexibility.

Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Hays plc in April 2014.

Interview Details – Telephone interview, talking through your cv, you were then invited to the assessment day, which included group activities, role plays and question and answer, then after we were invited for a final interview with the director and senior manager

Interview Question – Role plays on selling candidates to clients   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Southampton, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Hays plc in August 2011.

Interview Details – very big on their hays core values and is very important to revise these, like people to have good knowledge of company background in terms of specialisms and countries operating etc. They like people who are not afraid to use the phone so come across in that manner, very big on sales and business development. Interview process starts with phone interview must come across eager and motivated and well prepared. Then a formal interview, then a stage where you will be asked to sell a product to them which they will select on the spot, you will then be presented with a CV told to revise it for 20 mins then sell it to them, key is to always push for an interview at the end. You then may or may not be asked into the office and get to do a business development sales call. After that they may offer or you may require to then meet your potentially selected line manager.

Interview Question – The most difficult would be the on the spot sales   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Slight negotiation on salary but that was it. They recently changed their associate consultant to £17.5k basic instead of £20k like when I started, I however have known people to secure the £20k

Associate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Associate Recruitment Consultant

I applied in-person and interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview Details – I called the director of a local branch to find out more about the profession following an introduction through my current job.
I had a telephone interview which lasted around 20 minutes to find out why I was interested in recruitment and why I think I would be suitable.
Had an offer of a face to face interview which if successful would lead to an assessment day.

Interview Question – Give three characteristics you possess which would help you in a career in recruitment.   Answer Question

Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Graduate Recruitment Consultant
London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Hays plc in March 2014.

Interview Details – We had an informal meeting at first where I met other graduates. We also met top recruiters who told us of their experience. It was an amazing day and had a good feeling about the company and am excited to proceed with my application.

Interview Question – Not really unexpected but this question requires you to know your cv in and out and the skills you gained from the various roles. Plus how you will use these skills as a recruiter. I used examples right from the simple part time jobs I have done.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It was due to unavoidable personal circumstances

Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hays plc in April 2014.

Interview Details – 4 stage interview process.
First stage was just a basic phone interview, why do you want the job, what skills do you have that would make you a good recruitment consultant, why hays etc.
Second stage was a face to face interview which was mostly competency based with a little role play at the end, around one hour long.
Third stage was to be an assessment centre where I was told it would be more role play, selling skills etc but in a group situation. However didn't attend as was offered a position with another company.

Interview Question – From my experience there was nothing that was unexpected or difficult. Standard competency based questions that should be fine with a bit of perpetration done.   Answer Question

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!