Head Start Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

Head Start Program Aide- Maricopa County, Arizona Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mesa, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Head Start in July 2014.

Applied online w/ resume and online form. Completed a phone interview. Was called back for in-person interview. Required to bring 4 professional references, 3 personal references, 4 letters of recommendation (two personal, two professional), copies of degree, college courses, Food Handler's Card, CPR/First Aid certifications. (Do not have food handler's or CPR/First Aid but was told they'd provide training if hired.)

Interview Questions
    • What are three strengths and three weaknesses?
      Tell us about a situation with a co-worker in which there was a conflict and how you resolved it.
      What are your experiences working with children in this age group?
        Answer Question
    None, as salary is paid via federal grants. Pay scale based on education level. This is a contracted (10 month) position. Hire is permanent but requires annual contract renewal.

Infant Toddler Teacher II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tigard, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tigard, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Head Start in January 2010.

Individual panel interviews with HR person, head start parent, and education coordinator. Each interviewer goes around and asks questions one at a time. The interviewers are taking notes on your answers. They may ask follow up questions to elaborate on answers you may give. After the interview they had a written test that asked questions about child-development and proper classroom set-up for a head start classroom-based on the creative curriculum and developmentally appropriate practice. Also asked general questions about child development. * Requirements of position you need to obtain a food handlers card, CPR and first aid, and a federal level background check, you also has to verify your education with college transcripts, because your level of education and experience determines your pay scale. Upon hire they also send you for a physical and drug screening.

Interview Questions
    • Think of a time when you had a disagreement with an former co-worker? what did you do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    They offered the job based on education and typed up a contract with the salary offered. You had to come in to sign a contract accepting the terms of the position and salary.

Research & Policy Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Head Start.

Resume & Cover Letter, Phone interview about working at a non-profit, previous experience, drive

Interview Questions
    Easy. I was subsidized by school.

Lead Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Billings, MT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Billings, MT

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Head Start in May 2013.

You interview in front of a panel of people. It's intimidating.

Head Start calls the shots

Site Supervisor Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Head Start in September 2011.

I feel it would be beneficial to have more situational questions - Interview is about 20 mins. for all positions even management

Interview Questions
    I was send an offer letter

Child Time Preschool Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Newport, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Newport, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Head Start in March 2013.

Applied Online through craiglist and was sent a link to do an online test. After, I completed the online test I was called by the director. Then the director called me for an interview. I was asked to fill an application. After, I finished the application the director asked me questions pertaining to the job. After she asked me the questions, she gave me a tour around the preschool. Four days later after the interview, I was offered a rejection letter.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What are my strength and weaknesses?
      2. What characteristics of a good boss?
      3. How would you handle a difficult child?
      4. How would you handle a parental complaint?
        Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Head Start in October 2009.

3 interviewers at one time. One mainly did the questioning and every once in a while another jumped in. Casual and comfortable. Gave you questions up front that they would ask you which I found helpful. I thought they were pretty laid back and welcoming. Answered all my questions. It took a month to two to receive the phone call for the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What do you see as abuse?   View Answers (2)
    • How would you handle a situation if you saw another teacher possibly abusing a child?   View Answer
    • Would you be comfortable teaching another language to the children?   View Answer
    Asked what I was hoping for as the price range on the company website has quite a range. Go with your gut feeling and ask away. You can always tell them it's negotiable. Recently though the salary has come down with the economy. Also at times, when one applies for a certain position, they may ask you to work a lead teacher position if they feel you have the qualification.

Education Specialist, Early Head Start Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Marcos, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Head Start in April 2010.

Applied-application and resume...got interview, was interviewed by panel. Prior to interview, wrote 2 essays in English and Spanish. Second interview was 1:1 with Head of Agency, heard back by phone after 2 weeks did not get position, they hired someone with more experience but they offered me interview for something else.

Director Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Head Start in October 2012.

Interviewed by a panel of individuals. Interviews were scheduled for individuals approximately 40 minutes apart. Asked relevant questions pertaining to the job. Just interviewed will hear in a week as to decision.

Teacher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Head Start in January 2012.

The interview was with four other individuals. I don't remember all the titles of the people who were there except the site supervisor and a teaching assistant. Because I have a Bachelor's in child development, I felt that the interview itself was quite easy. It might be difficult for someone who doesn't have a background in child development. Everyone who was part of the interview process was incredibly friendly and they seemed very easy to work with.

Interview Questions
    • What strengths do you bring to a program that depends on cooperative staff?   Answer Question
    Absolutely no negotiation. Since it is federally funded, my salary was based on my level of education. However, I would consider my salary to be quite high for a preschool teacher. I also live in a place where the cost of living is very low, so the salary provides for a comfortable living.

Worked for Head Start? Contribute to the Community!