Headspring

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior .NET Developer Interview

Senior .NET Developer
Sam Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Headspring in March 2014.

Interview Details – Fairly straight forward, couple calls from VP then the recruiter, then live code test with a technical consultant. then not sure what next.

Interview Question – Questions are fairly easy, if you really know things, here are completed set of all questions I get:
1) Create a program to display numbers between 1-100, but if the number is divisible by 3, print 'fizz' if divisible by 5, print 'buzz'. If divisible by both 3 &5 print 'fizz buzz'
2) Create reusable library (DLL) for the code above and write code to use that library
3) Instead of printing hardcode numbers 1-100, and fizz/buzz, allow user to specify those parameters whichever way they like
4) Modify the code to return some sort of indication if they specify invalid range such as 100-1 instead of 1-100
5) write unit test for this program (I didn't answer this one, cuz I have never use it)
6) Modify the code so that it can handle any condition for example what if user specified range from 1billion to 10billions. (not quite sure what interviewer wanted me to do on this at all)

--Most difficult part? not really I was having fun, the interviewer made me feel like he was very happy with my code, but it was a total fake, he I turned around a gave me a negative assessment LOL for couple not really that important questions #5-6, may be because I was interviewed for a 6-digit salary and not a junior or mid level so he expected a whole lot more??? That is alright I wasn't looking for job at the time, HeadSpring VP contacted me first via LinkedIn and I thought why not give it a try, if I get it....great! otherwise, life goes on! so hope this helps to whoever next!
  View Answer

Junior Software Developer Interview

Junior Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Headspring.

Interview Details – I had a very odd experience. I submitted my resume online and also sent it to a hiring manager (as is my typical procedure). I got a call from HR a couple of days later to set up the initial screening. The recruiter asked the typical questions: salary expectations, why do you want to work here, etc. As for salary, I did give them a number but said it was negotiable (I am changing careers and realize that I may need to take a pay cut). She said my information would be forwarded to the hiring manager. About 2 days later, I got an email from her stating that my qualifications did not match their needs at this time. I really wanted to work at this company (at the time), and so I replied and asked if there was any other feedback from the hiring manager, so that I could improve my skills or presentation for next time. I also sent a similar email to the hiring manager I had contacted.

I got a response from neither the recruiter nor the hiring manager, but instead from the director of HR. She told me that my salary expectations were way out of line for the role and that was why I got rejected. I replied and said I really didn't want that to be the reason that I wasn't considered, and repeated that I was willing to take a pay cut for the right position. I never heard back.

All in all, it was a very strange experience that I have not experienced with any other company. I thought it was silly that they wouldn't even talk to me just because my previous salary was above their range for this position, even though I specifically said I would take a pay cut. Maybe this was a bogus reason and the real reason was something else...I don't know. It didn't leave me with a great impression of this company though and now I think I'm better off not working there.

Interview Question – What are your salary expectations (based on my experience, don't answer this one honestly).   Answer Question

Mobile Developer Interview

Mobile Developer

I applied online - interviewed at Headspring in February 2014.

Interview Details – A senior developer gave a phone screen first followed by a Live Coding Test.

Interview Question – I had to share my screen and be watched coding. They let me write a simple mobile app , using your favorite platform. I chose Android. It was just reading some JSON data returned from restful apis, showing them in a listview and clicking one to show detailed info which was also returned by restful apis.
Not that hard actually. But they told me that I needed to ask more questions about the requirement. Also they said my code was not organized in an MVC way and I should work on the model class first. But android is not that MVCish for most of the time. I used thread and handler to get data and update the UI. I didn't think I needed a model class for the data, cuz the data was stored remotely. And they said I could use some android restful library to get the data, but I mean isn't the most common way is to create an HTTPURLConnection, read the inputstream and create a JSONObject?! They are very nice and kind people, but I can tell they've never written any android apps. So that's very frustrating, but they did give me good advice.
  View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Recruiting/Sales Specialist Interview

Recruiting/Sales Specialist

Interviewed at Headspring

Interview Details – My interview process is not a typical one. Very unique

For my position, I only had two interviews. The initial one was for a sales position and was on-site with Sales Director (now President) and one other Sales Consultant. Basically asked me what motivated me so they could gauge my drive level. Very casual and laid back. The guys are super easy to talk to. No stupid typical interview questions. Just wanted to get a feel for me.
Second interview threw me a curveball. They introduced a brand new position for the company; I would be the first employee to hold that title. It was a hybrid of Sales and Recruiting. They needed more engineers than clients. At first I was hesitant since I have no Recruiting experience, but I knew I wanted to get in to the company. I started to realize that management knew what they were doing, because they recognized a need in their own company and adapted. Very impressive

Interview Question – Again, for my position, I had a unique process. The most difficult question I encountered was what motivated me.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant II Interview

Senior Consultant II

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Headspring.

Interview Details – The hiring process was a great experience. I had an initial phone call with a Recruiter in which I was able to ask questions about the company to get a feel for whether the role and company were a good fit. Immediately after they sent me information on salaries, job descriptions, and why Headspring is a great place to work. I was invited to a Brown Bag lunch and attended so I was able to get a feel for the office environment and employees. At that point I started the standard 3-step interview process - all at my pace. The first interview was a quick phone screen with a Recruiting Specialist who asked general questions about websites I visit, books I read, why I was leaving my current employer.
Next was a 30 minute 1x1 interview/discussion about my experience. And final step was a presentation. The role I would be filling would be one of the first non-development roles so my presentation was a little different than most. I was given a case study and asked to present my project approach after a mock technical analysis.

Interview Questions

Junior Consultant Interview

Junior Consultant
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Headspring.

Interview Details – Starts off with initial 30 min HR Screening where they ask your salary requirements, general educational and technical background. A 45 min live code session follows where you basically write live code on a general problem. You are sharing your screen with a Senior developer at Headspring and talking at the same time while writing code. I was given two logic and behavioral assessments prior to getting an on-site interview. For me onsite interview was quite relaxing and did not involve many technical questions. The interview lasted 2 hours where in the first 30 mins you teach something you know (a skill or anything), followed by an hour long interview where you basically talk about one of your previous projects.

Interview Question – I was asked to draw the project architecture on the whiteboard.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant

Interviewed at Headspring

Interview Details – Pretty Straightforward.

1) (30min) Brief call with HR to make sure background, salary etc.. are in alignment.

2) (1hr) Technical Interview done remotely. You will be asked to code a basic program in real time. This is more than just a basic coding screen as they are interested in design decisions, unit testing, extensibility etc...

3) (2hrs) In person panel interview. You will be asked to present on a topic of your choice for 30min (this is open to anything you want e.g "how to juggle", followed by 1 hour panel interview where you go from wide to narrow on a project you have done. Questions will cover everything from interacting with clients and project management to technical architecture and design decisions. Final 30min is open for you to ask any questions.

Headspring is committed to hiring the best talent and the interview process is consistent with this goal.

Interview Question – Coding exercise is difficult only because you are doing it in real time. The exercise is somewhat contrived so you have to balance getting the program to function with your design decisions for a made up problem.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Headspring in November 2011.

Interview Details – Step 1: Recruiter calls to ask basic questions...have you heard of this or that

Step 2: Take two skills tests - one is purely logic and the other is more specific to c#

Step 3: Write code while watched by a few people as they give you the tasks

Step 4: In person interview with panel

Interview Question – Let us remote into your machine and give you tasks to write while we watch.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Headspring in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process began because I was a referral by an internal employee, from there I submitted my resume, got a phone call and then was sent the personality, intelligence and skills test online. Later I was brought back for a one on one interview.

Once offer was accepted then they ran the background check.

Interview Question – Was I really passionate about the position I was interviewing for   Answer Question

Worked for Headspring? Contribute to the Community!