Health Canada

Updated Oct 6, 2014

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Health Canada

Finance Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Health Canada.

First you have to create a log in and fill out the online application. I'm not sure what the hiring process is for other departments but for finance we always had to write 2 tests. The first one is usually multiple choice and then the second one is usually something longer that involves a case study. After you pass the tests you will be invited in to an interview with a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions such as tell me a time you had to deal with diversity at the work place.   Answer Question

Economic Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Health Canada in October 2013.

it was a phone interview by a senior economist. no further interview - just one . half behavioural and half technical questions. at first they ask you about your self and see if you are a good fit- looking for excel and statistical software. very pleasant interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see the heath care system in 20 years. What is the number one concern in the canadian health system   View Answer

Policy Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Health Canada.

On-line application is standard followed by a written test, then an interview and reference check. The final step is a security clearance check which depending on the level of clearance required can take a few months to be completed.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all your standard behavioural questions - describe a time when you had to deal with diversity...   Answer Question
    There isn't one.

Inspector Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Health Canada in September 2010.

apply online, a few questions, situational judgement exam, interview.

Biologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Health Canada in January 2009.

I filled out a basic online application (they have a system) and got called for a general city-wide interview taking place in my home town. The interviewers asked for paperwork to be filled, questions about simplifying my research, dealing with stress/deadlines/conflicts. Also they mentioned that I mightbe supervised by people with less education than me (M.Sc.). They also asked if I was going to miss bench work (lab). I got a second phone interview 6 months later for a specific situation (due to my graduate courses in toxicology I think). They followed up with a second phone interview 2 weeks later, with the person that was going to be my manager. He asked me to speak in both French and English (luckily I am bilangual) and also asked about current events taking place in Canada ranging from politics to the football championship taking place in my hometown the week before. They called back a week later to offer me the job, without ever meeting me in person. Salary offered was mid 60's, and I found out it would have been 5000 more if I had a PhD.

I did not want to move to Ottawa, the kind of work required of me (report writing only) and the fact that I wanted to get a PhD degree and was on a full doctoral award funding from a major govt agency at the time.