HealthStream

Very Easy Interview

Senior .NET Developer Interview

Senior .NET Developer
Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at HealthStream in June 2014.

Interview Details – Initial application was easy. This company takes resumes via e-mail.

I was then contacted with a questionnaire in the form of a .doc file. These were typical questions that one might more easily answer in a phone interview.

After answering and returning the questionnaire document, I was abruptly and unexpectedly dropped from candidacy. No explanation or follow-up was given, even after requesting feedback. I can only guess as to why.

Interview Question – The questionnaire asked for code that I found to be particularly satisfying or interesting. No company that I have worked for would ever release their proprietary work-for-hire code to another company, or allow their employees to retain it after leaving.   View Answer

Senior Developer
Nashville, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HealthStream in July 2013.

Interview Details – I've debated about sharing my experience but after hearing from a friend about yet another experience consistent with the rest, I will share. I was contacted by a recruiter and filled out the "questionnaire." Then I did a first round in-person interview with four team leads and was asked some offbeat questions about .NET frameworks, design principles, and theory. I too then got the "take home coding assignment" with the authentication framework, data model, and unit testing and even verified it worked, yet they decided to pass on doing a "final round" interview with what I found out would have been with almost a dozen(!!) team members.

The recruiter told me they hire new senior developers every 12 to 18 months. That sounds about right. Given that five different firms wanted to submit me over to HealthStream, I believe there is at best some miscommunication between the company and the firms about what the position really does.

Interview Question – What is the difference between .NET 4.0 and .NET 4.5? Complete this sentence: some people prefer _____ over abstraction. And why is that the case?   View Answer

Senior Developer Interview Interview

Senior Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HealthStream.

Interview Details – My interview experience with this company is much like the experience below. The company was impressed with my resume. I filled out the 6 question survey in detail and was told how impressed they were with the survey. I had a phone interview in which I was told they were very pleased, however they didn't want to pay the original amount posted. The new amount was pretty close, so the interview process followed by the authentication programming assignment which really isn't a small assignment. I spent 2 or 3 days building an authentication framework from front to back and documenting it so that a junior level developer could pick it up quickly. After submission of the assignment, I was told the people holding the interviews were on spring break, then told they were no longer pursuing candidates for the previously posted position. The whole interview process took about 3 weeks where you are told you're amazing and then they supposedly just stop looking without telling you why. I understand if the position was filled by another candidate, however if they just supposedly stopped looking then I clearly wasted my time interviewing with the company and would recommend others to be cautious to interview with them, especially for a contract-to-hire position as the hire part probably won't be there in the end.

Interview Question – I never felt there was a question that I didn't provide a feasible answer to them. The programming assignment they expect you to create overnight is a little over the top.   Answer Question

Senior Developer
Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at HealthStream in January 2013.

Interview Details – I initially applied for a Senior Developer role online, and was contacted by email within a day or two by an HR Recruitment Consultant. I reached out to him via phone and had a brief but cordial discussion regarding my background, why I was looking to relocate, why I was looking to enter another industry (healthcare), etc. It was a very pleasant experience. Afterwards, he sent me the official application and a fairly in-depth questionnaire asking six questions. None of the questions were difficult but a good candidate answers them in a detailed manner. That took 2 days, mostly to complete the application.

After the Recruitment Consultant emailed my files to the Hiring Manager, I received word back from him 5 days later that the Hiring Manager was impressed with my questionnaire responses. I figured at that point that I'd be able to do an in-person interview to get an idea what the salary range, relo assistance (if any), specific day-to-day tasking would be like, etc. Instead, I was asked to complete a lengthy technical exercise that involved the creation of a user authentication solution.

This was not hard, especially since I already have a very good one on my own site and could reuse some of the code. The turnaround time was 2-3 days and, admittedly, I went way above and beyond what the exercise called for. However, this was again more time, and this project required me to use software that's only installed on my work system for a quick turnaround and an accurate result. (All of the other apps, like Visual Studio, I have on my own system.) I just couldn't justify that so the data model was not completed. The code solution was amazingly detailed, though. Any good developer could read through all of my comments to get a feel for how the provider model worked.

A week later I heard back from the Recruitment Consultant. Again, a great guy who took the time to say that they were pursuing other candidates. The only two things I can think of that were the problem was my location (I'd have to relocate) and the fact that I didn't submit a data model. It definitely wasn't the code, and quite frankly I felt like I was doing a homework assignment for a PhD candidate again. (If you've ever been in grad school in Computer Science, you know exactly what I mean!)

I partially blame myself for not asking what the salary range and relo benefits were up front, so that I didn't waste days of my time doing this assignment. There's no way I would have done any of this unless the pay was significantly above what other markets are paying. And I will definitely be asking about the entire interview process on any future positions in the healthcare industry.

In summary, I learned a lot throughout this process and regard it as one huge lesson learned.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you have mentored others on software topics.   Answer Question
  • Where do you see your career moving in a 1 to 3 year time frame?   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
Nashville, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HealthStream in May 2012.

Interview Details – Healthstream did a thorough job of interviewing. I think they allow specific teammates too much influence on the hiring process versus just trusting their functional manager's opinion and trusting industry best practice skill sets to prevail.

Interview Question – How would you fit within a Scrum Agile team.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate and would suggest doing so. If you are a good candidate then you should be paid market rate via Atlanta GA rates as Nashville is artificially depressed on salaries due to the over abundance of nurses and non-technical majors being hired into technical positions.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Nashville, TN

The process took a day - interviewed at HealthStream in May 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview
In person/group interview

Interview Question – If you had to eliminate one of the 50 states, which one would it be...I'm looking for you to think out loud so I can assess how you approach the solution.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate additional time off (preplanned vacation that coincided with starting month).

Worked for HealthStream? Contribute to the Community!