HealthTap

Updated Nov 3, 2014

2.6

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HealthTap.

I met the CEO and others at a tech talk at my university. I made a good impression on the CEO and interviewers by talking about my passion for the company's mission.

First, I came to the HealthTap office for an interview with 2 engineers who were very friendly and helpful. I did 2 easy technical problems described below.
    About a week later I came for another interview, this time with the head of engineering and another important team member. This interview was more behavioral and I was asked why I like HealthTap, about previous projects, and what I wanted to get out of the internship. At the end of this interview, I was given an offer.

2 things to keep in mind:
    - hiring is HEAVILY Stanford-biased. I feel that I had an easy time becuase I was from Stanford and a member of a minority group. My friend from another school had a very technically difficult interview and was treated antagonistically by interviewers.
    - I was asked to verbally accept a hypothetical offer before even hearing the offer. That is, they would not give me the offer until I accepted it. I was young and naive and I didn't realize how ridiculous that is. When my internship ended a few months later, I complained about the policy to the new recruiter, but the policy was still in place.

Interview Questions
    • Print out an array as a mxn spiral. e.g. print [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12] with m=4, n=3 as:

1, 2, 3, 4
      10,11,12,5
      9, 8, 7, 6

View Answer
    No negotiation. I was young and naive and didn't think to negotiate. Another engineering intern used his/her better offer from Microsoft to negotiate.

Email Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HealthTap in October 2014.

I received an in-mail from the VP of marketing, followed by a few phone calls with various marketing/product Dir. I was invited to an on-site interview, 2 hours, met 1-on-1 with Founder, VP of product and VP of engineering. Interview was fine, usual questions about skills, expertise, career expectations.
    2 negative point: the interview was scheduled at 9am, but the office was closed when I arrived ("nobody gets here until 9:30am", I was later told). Also, they kept saying that I would be expected to work long hours ("everybody stays really late", "we work week-end"...), really insisting on the time commitment, as if life outside work didn't exist, so that the candidate has no other choice than to say that he's ready to work 24/7 (if he really wants the job).
    They gave me an assignment (30-60-90 day plan). They got back to me quickly to let me know that they would not go further with me, which was fine. I asked for but didn't get any feedback. Called me back for a second onsite interview a month later, still didn't make it.

Interview Questions
    • what is your highest achievement in your personal life (not work related, that was a separate question)   Answer Question

Front End Engineer/Mobile Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online – interviewed at HealthTap in September 2014.

Without a doubt the worst company I've ever interviewed at. The initial contact was great.. I applied online and was invited to an onsite interview without even doing a phone screen (this should have been a red flag). The onsite interview was a disaster. The office was very disorganized, and the recruiter was extremely unprofessional. The recruiter could not answer a simple question about the hiring process. She left me in the interview office for over 30 minutes before my interview started. Right before I got up to leave, she returned and apologized for "being in a meeting".

My first interviewer had just joined the Mobile Engineering team a week ago, and could offer no real perspective on the company. The interviewer seemed incredibly apathetic and lacked energy and excitement toward the company and product. After my interview, the interviewer and I circled the office aimlessly trying to find the recruiter. When we couldn't find her, I was dismissed by the engineer who was clearly embarrassed for what had happened. What a disaster in organization. Stay away.

Front End Engineer/Mobile Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at HealthTap.

First was a phone screen before coming in for a few in person interviews. The process is pretty standard until they give you an offer. The wouldn't do it over the phone, but made me come in. After that they gave me a really low ball offer when I declined it, they brought the offer, but said I had to accept it today or the whole thing was off. It was a pretty bad experience.

Interview Questions
    • They wanted to know if I'll take the offer before they even gave it to me.   Answer Question
    Terrible, they cornered me and said I had to sign the day they gave it to me instead of the customary 48 hours.

Remote Customer Service Specialist (NightShift) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at HealthTap in July 2014.

I applied online and received a telephone call from HR the next day. Great job HealthTap. I spoke with a woman in HR briefly about my background, experience and availability. I was then invited to come in for an interview the following evening at 7:00 PM. I appreciate the flexibility of the team, since I currently have a job that I enjoy. I explained that I was very interested in their business model and was looking for a night position for extra income and could very easily provide customer support remotely. During our telephone conversation, the woman in HR insisted that they were looking for somebody who is flexible. I said what do you mean by that? I wasn't given a clear answer. I mean how flexible can one be when applying for a position where the hours are listed 10PM to 7AM? It didn't appear they were looking for a career-minded person, based on the contents of the job posting. Then the woman in HR explained that she would be sending an assignment for which she would like me to complete prior to the interview. Prior to receiving the assignment, she then asked how long will it take me to send the assignment back? Since I had no idea what the assignment entailed, I waited a moment, then asked how long do you anticipate the test will require of my time? Note: I am employed and I am seeking an additional source of income. HR said it should take no longer than two hours. I said, no problem, I'll have that to you by 10:00 this evening. I provided that time because I worked until 6:30 PM that day and anticipated that I would begin the assignment once I got home from work. I emailed the assignment back at about 2 in the morning. My interview was scheduled for 7:00 PM. I arrived for my interview and as I exited the elevator, an open room appears to my left. Many employees working late and also celebrating with cake. Fine. So far, so good. I feel the positive energy of the office. As I exited the elevator, a female employee was entering, so I asked if she could point me to the direction of HR? I am meeting with her for an interview this evening. She was gracious, kind and walked me to . She then introduced me to one male and one female. Although these two staff members were friendly, they appeared very unorganized, unprofessional, unprepared and did not have my resume nor did they review it prior to me arriving for the interview. In addition, they did not review the assignment for which they requested I complete prior to the interview. We spoke briefly about this test and the male interviewer had no idea what this test entailed, nor did the female interviewer. As the interview, or if I would even call it that.. ended, she asked if I had any further questions.? I said, yes. What is the average age of the employees, here at RedTap? I should have video this with my google glass.. Her answer was 40. all those 40 year olds work upstairs. this is the 20 year old floor. Oh.. she said. I look younger than I am.. because I dont normally wear a hoody.

Interview Questions
    • How flexible are you?   View Answer
    • We work a lot of hours and we're looking for somebody who is flexible. I heard this more than 5 times from various employees. I began to think I had a sign on me that read "she is not flexible"   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at HealthTap.

Questions were mostly around role match -what I have done previously and what the company needed. It seemed easy and seemed to have gone well. In the back of my mind I was however wary, given they are known to hire folks only from Ivy-league organizations. I enjoyed talking to the folks, no doubt they are smart and will get to where they want to. Just wish that they could be more open in giving feedback, and considering really passionate candidates w/o ivy-league background.

Contractor Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at HealthTap.

Interview process was quick and straightforward. It took two rounds within one week. The best part of it was to deal with Diana, who is the head of talent acquisition.

Interview Questions
    • What can you do for Healthtap and what can Healthtap do for you?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HealthTap.

The interview process took approximately three weeks, from phone screen through offer. The questions focused on practical skills, prior experiences, and interest in the health space.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to quantify prior tasks that I had always though of in a qualitative way. The company is "metrics oriented" so be prepared to put numbers on your past accomplishments or efforts and to explain what you learned.   View Answer

Undisclosed Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HealthTap.

After the initial phone screen, interviews were a multi-round process, with several senior managers. Questions focused on prior experience, measurable results and metrics, and interest in the company's mission.

Interview Questions
    The offer was market and what I was looking for.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at HealthTap.

4 technical onsite interviews in total, 1 hr interview, 1 CEO interview. The engineers are very nice, but the management team seems not great.

The company seems never respect engineers, nor candidates.