Healthline Systems

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Diego, CA

I interviewed at Healthline Systems in November 2012.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with an HR person who asked more general questions. That one was kind of confusing but the woman interviewing was nice. She was clearly not a tech person, but had to ask general tech questions like "what was your experience with x", then wrote the answers down or just felt okay that you could answer. Then they scheduled me for an in person interview with three developers and the boss. One of the developers came off as a nice, the other two came off as completely doubting and unfriendly. They had me answer a few more detailed code questions about a page of code. They're easy if you know the material, which I didn't particularly well, and so sat in awkward silence for a while. I found it to be a strange interview as they just jumped right in to technical stuff rather than putting me more at ease with normal conversation for a minute or two.

Anonymous Interview

San Diego, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Healthline Systems in April 2010.

Interview Details – Went through a relatively painless interview process with this company. Made it through all the hoops (seemingly) but didn't get an offer in the end.

Applied online received a call back two business days later where I did a quick "get to know you" phone interview. Setup an in person interview with HR and the person who would be supervising my work . They wanted to bring me in the next day.

HR Interview: was interesting, a very nice lady just simply had a 8 questions and spent most of the time just writing down my answers.

Boss Interview: The normal- where have you been, what have done questions. There were a few distracting nuances from the interviewor other than that is was fairly painless. Nothing technical which was somewhat surprising. I was upset with this, because I felt like they were looking for a warm body that would be there for the next 20 years (something the interviewor bragged about) and not necessarily the person with the right skills. Left on a good note, I felt I answered what was asked- wasn't really given any direction on expanding on some of my experiences, but I did so anyway in some circumstances.

Came back the next day for a Personality test/skills test. If your HR and your reading this- please "can" this exercise. The skills test was a general test. May as well have been set up for a cashiers position. There were a few sections that I felt were meaningful but otherwise it was probably a waste of company resources and a waster of two hours of my time. Then the dreaded personality test which measures absolutely nothing in my opinion- other than weeding out people that can potentially upstage a superior. "Its yes or no answers" which I felt I could have answered "maybe" on alot of them. If you get down to it these personality tests are Great for job security- the superior picks someone he can manipulate, but really how many people make an honest attempt to answer those questions. This continues to be one of the most pointless exercises a firm/company can do.

I then had a discussion with the person leaving the job. We had a somewhat candid conversation but i could tell she was holding back quite a bit. Don't really know what it was- I didn't want to be nosey. I found that she didn't do what i thought were a few really important pieces of the job. We had the same background, similar experience, but were different people. I honestly felt like I could have come into the position and had it at another level in a few weeks.

Finally, they closed me with a head of other another department who would work closely with my department. She hinted around that i was a job hopper, but let me explain myself- thought that was nice. Made a few remarks that made me think she would be a treat to work with, which I could care less because she seemed more ambitious than anyone i talked to there. I could tell she didn't care for the person I was replacing- which made me feel so excited to work for them. Again, lots of walk me through your life, but little in the way of technical detailed background questions surrounding the job.

Waited a few days- they called two of my references. One of my references told me he heard deeper questions at a Beauty contest. They probed him for the answer as to why I was leaving. Again, no questions on my technical or work expertise.

I sent a follow up email to HR which they promptly replied with a form email you are "good" but we found better.

Good company- great product. Interview was okay to bad. They missed on me.

Very Easy Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Healthline Systems in January 2010.

Interview Details – My interview experience with Healthline Systems I would probably mark as one of the worst, if not the worst interview experience in 60-80 technical interviews I’ve participated in over the years. I had applied for a software development position and on the forefront this was not much different from standard technical interviews. On site, I was met by HR and was asked common interview questions such as what are your goals, strengths and weaknesses, and what are you looking for when applying for this position. Next, I was introduced to other software engineers, who asked a few questions regarding my previous work experience and work environments, but primarily they provided me a bit of the history and background of Healthline Systems and their team. Finally, I met with the chief architect and that's where things went downhill. He did not appear to have any interest being present for the interview. I was asked about 3 questions total-regarding my education and the type of software application(s) used at my previous employer. In one question, he asked how my previous employer’s applications were built in which I answered by discussing the tiers, programming languages utilized, and database platform used. I asked if I was providing enough detail or if he wanted more specifics in answering his question. Instead, in a condescending tone, he repeated his question in verbatim without elaborating and gave me an unfriendly “you’re stupid if you don’t understand what I am asking” look. Question #2…he looked at my education/degree and insulted me with an elitist comment. As the interview came to an end, I was able to interject a handful of questions. The questions I asked were not answered thoroughly. His responses were in fragmented one-liner sentences or one word answers if at all. As quickly as he had walked in the room, he left the interview. His demeanor during the interview – his slouching and grunting – made it very obvious to me that he felt I was wasting his time.

Very Easy Interview

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Healthline Systems.

Interview Details – Interviewed for a Software Developer position at HealthLine. The interviewers here act like they're all knowing and wise simply because they're kings of their little bubble that is the company. I recommend that any software developer who is serious about a rewarding career should look elsewhere.

You'll come to this interview and get asked completely irrelevant things like "what's the equation for the surface area of a cylinder", and the interviewers will claim that this speaks to your problem solving capabilities.

You won't get questions about algorithms or design patterns or complex architecture, probably because the company's interviewers (so-called Chief Software Architect) are incompetent or obsolete in those fields or the software development they do there is so elementary it's ridiculous.

If you're a mid-level developer or engineer, I encourage you to be on the lookout for this, and challenge your interviewer's technical knowledge right back at them - It's your right to inform yourself of the level of competency of the people you'll be answering to.

I interviewed with a Manager of Development and a Chief Architect - Fancy titles, but gave the impression of having antiquated practice and philosophies from the 80s or 90s.

Stay awayyyyyy!

Interview Question – How to make your C# application connect to a SQL backend. LMAO   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They thought they were interviewing me, but I was interviewing them, and they failed.

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Healthline Systems in December 2011.

Interview Details – My interview process was a quick process - in 1 week, I established initial contact, interviewed onsite directly (no phone screen first) and then the next day after the 1st onsite interview was informed I didn't get through.

Onsite, I was first interviewed by the HR personnel which was a standard interview process - why do you want to leave, how will I be a good fit etc? I was informed by HR that there would be a skills test and possibly 2-3 rounds of interviews if they decided to go ahead. Then next round was a panel interview - it consisted of 1 manager and 2 developers. They initially asked about my work experience and made me describe my current roles and responsibilities. I was then asked some questions about the technologies that they were using and if I was familiar with WCF, JQuery, JavaScript and SQL.

Then I was handed 2 pages that had around 5 coding puzzles. These were quite tricky for me (wasn't quite ready for this, to be frank). These Coding Puzzle problems basically covered tree collections, recursive functions and class OOPs principles like inheritance, overloading and internal classes. There were some SQL based coding questions like String, substring, IndexOf, case and ^.

One advice - prepare well for tricky programming type interview questions - find output / error / explain code.

Interview Question – 5 coding puzzles. These were quite tricky for me (wasn't quite ready for this, to be frank). These Coding Puzzle problems basically covered tree collections, recursive functions and class OOPs principles like inheritance, overloading and internal classes. There were some SQL based coding questions like String, substring, IndexOf, case and ^.   View Answer

Client Support/Training Specialist Interview

Client Support/Training Specialist

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Healthline Systems in June 2010.

Interview Details – I thought that it was a great interview. It was by far the best interview I've ever done. I answered all the questions correctly, had all the skill sets, and I even brought in a deliverable to make my interview even stronger. It was great until this one guy came in to interview me. I was told that he was a cross b/w the COO and the network admin. I totally agree with the person who wrote the review before me in every way. He had this attitude about him as if he was above me. I felt as if he just took one look at me and made his decision without even opening his mouth. Those type of people dont really get too far in life so Im not going to get mad about it. I just find it funny that the person who wrote the review before me experienced the same situation with the same guy.

Interview Question – The diameter of a circle.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Healthline Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Healthline Systems interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Healthline Systems employees and interview candidates.