Hearst Corporation

Updated Nov 2, 2014
Updated Nov 2, 2014

2.5

Information Technology Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Fairly average interview, they ask about my background and skills. The interview was quick, but the position did not require much experience. There was only one round of interviews. When hired it took a few days to receive the call, and I started the following week.

Interview Questions
    • I told describe myself and how would I be a best fit for the position.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hearst Corporation.

2 interviews. One with HR and one with the management team. Met with 5 people in one day. All were really friendly and wanted to get to know me and my interests. Wanted to see if it was a good personality fit. Great company. Swift call-back response

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hearst Corporation.

phone interview first. this is mostly to get a broad idea of your skillset and how you would fit in, personality wise, with the team. interviews done by potential coworkers as well as managers, so more people have an opinion and compare notes. followed up by in-person technical interview. questions were textbook programming and involved writing on the whiteboard, on the spot so to speak, mostly interviewers interested in how you think while you solve problems, how you step through it mentally, what you do when you hit a wall, etc. how creative the problem solving process is. questions not hard per se, but also can be obscure and not everyday topics.

Interview Questions
    • range of front end and backend questions. some factual, others theoretical.   Answer Question
    negotiated salary fairly easily. not a huge increase over the initial offer, but not bad either. i always try to negotiate.

Account Manager/Advertising Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation.

I obtained the interview by first arranging an informational interview with the publication's regional sales manager. A few weeks later, he contacted me to advise of a job opening. We met for a more formal interview, and shortly thereafter, Hearst flew me to its New York corporate headquarters. I had an excellent experience with the magazine's staff, and felt my experience was a solid fit with the publication's sales goals and objectives. The day after I returned home, I received a job offer. However, a few hours later, the offer was rescinded because Corporate dictated the position go to a current Hearst employee. I was very disappointed, but the regional sales manager went out of his way to notify me about other opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • What do expect to be your total compensation?   View Answer

Digital Media Consultant Interview

1 phone screening with recruiter. Rather detailed questions & a bit challenging.

2nd interview was with hiring manager. It was more exploratory, reviewing past positions, short term and long term career goals.
    He went into great depth about day to day tasks in the position. What they are looking for and what the the model of success has looked like for past reps.

3rd interview was a sales pitch. I got to pitch what I currently was selling at what is now my previous employer

Ad Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Over a few months I interviewed with several magazines. I was very junior so I was not chosen several times until my skills and personality finally met with the right team.

I could not negotiate

Senior Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation in June 2014.

Applied online and heard nothing but managed to get a direct contact through a friend with the Dep Ed and then got an interview.
    Was very relaxed, asked about my history and for me to explain the direction I was heading. Then for me to suggest stories for the mag and how I would change anything.
    Was given an extensive edit test which is basically free work but you have to do it. Wanted 6-8 ideas and to edit a 2000 word feature.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult. I did my research about the again and the company.   Answer Question

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hearst Corporation in May 2014.

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week. Really basic interview, it was for entry level. First, I met with HR and then the director of the team I would be working on. Some behavioral questions and we talked about past job experiences.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Spoke with HR first, and then met with the team that I was joining.

Beauty Director Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Meetings with both HR and management team members

Interview Questions
    • Not that difficult -- mostly about what clients have relationships with   Answer Question

No connection with management team