Hearst Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.6

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (Buffalo, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Three step process. First a personal phone interveiw, then a technical phone interveiw, then finially an in-person interveiw. I only got to participate i the personal phone interview. I felt it went well but they must have been looking for something else. The woman i spoke with was friendly and very informative about the company and the buffalo area.

Interview Questions

• Describe a chalenging project you've worked on.
      descrbe yourself.
      How much are you looking to make?

Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly laid back, but I would definitely consider it to be a fair assessment of my abilities. I love that they are really thorough finding the right person, and I respected them more for that fact. They also talked about the office environment and assessed my personality to make sure I would be the most effective candidate personality-wise.

Interview Questions

• If multiple editors asked you to help them complete each of their big projects by the end of the day, but you knew it would be an overload, what would you do?   Answer Question

Programmatic Yield Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online on the weekend and was contacted within several hours. I had a phone interview scheduled the following monday and an in person interview scheduled a few days after. The interview went well. I sat with two people, questions were fairly easy and it was more to get a sense of the role and for them to feel me out.

Afterwards they said I would be hearing back shortly. It's been three weeks, I've followed up twice and have not received word back from anybody I interviewed. Its been a huge disappointment since the team seemed quite nice. A sorry, we've went with somebody else email would have been sufficient.

Art Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by the hiring manager via email. I came in for an interview about 3-4 days later, I had a one-on-one meeting in a conference room. The office had a relaxed vibe to it. The manager and staff were very kind, helpful and professional, but ultimately on follow-up the salary offer wasn't competitive so I declined.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to take a design test?   1 Answer

salary not competitive enough for the role

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I was first contacted by HR to confirm my salary expectations. Then, I was contacted by the current assistant who arranged an interview with a Director within the department. The Director didn't ask me all too many questions about myself, but gave me a rundown of the job and opened up the floor for my own questions. I was then contacted by the Director a day later to come back for a second interview with the VP I would be supporting. Spent about a half hour with her describing her expectations and how demanding the job was going to be. In both cases, no hard/trick questions. I felt it was more a way for them to see me, gauge my character and how I'd react to the demanding job description. Have not heard back since I interviewed two weeks ago, but accepted an offer elsewhere.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The interviews themselves were decent. Everyone I met with was friendly and engaging and the questions were constructive and conversational rather than some of the stock interview questions. However, they way they handled the interview process was disorganized and frustrating. Scheduling interviews was somewhat cumbersome and arriving at their building was poorly coordinated. My biggest issue was that they invited me back for a 3rd in-person round and informed me that I was one of a few final candidates. That interview was difficult to pin down and after I had re-arranged my schedule with my current job, they canceled and told me they would need to reschedule it. I provided additional times and then when they didn't get back to me after a day reached out again. Finally I was told that they had moved ahead with someone else. Not getting the job is one thing, but you shouldn't promise a final round interview to someone and then jerk them around with the scheduling only to tell them "never mind". Unprofessional and frustrating.

Sales Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Interview

The first interview was on the phone. Standard questions were asked about my interests, background, and experiences. The in person interviews were pretty similar. I met with four different people who asked how my background applied to the role I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• how my background applied to the role I was applying for.   Answer Question

Credits Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

My supervisor was very kind. She asked a range of questions to discover if I was a good fit for the role. The questions were why I wanted to be at ELLE, which blogs I currently followed, who were my favorite designers and so much more. It was a little nerve wrecking because it was so short, but it had me understand why it was important she asked such questions.

Interview Questions

• Who is your favorite blogger?   1 Answer

Senior Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (Charlotte, NC) in November 2014.

Interview

This was for the Hearst Service Center division, Enterprise Technology department. I applied on Linkedin, was contacted by their internal recruiter a few days later. Spoke voice for an initial screening and spoke to the hiring manager the next day. Phone interview went very well and I had the impression that my background and experience was on target with the skills they were looking for. Went in for an in-person interview with the manager I spoke with, his manager and an additional team member. The higher level manager dominated the interview and I got the impression that the final decision would be mostly his. He discussed their initiatives and I discussed my background. He cut me off a few times while I was talking but pointed out several skills that he liked. It seems they are trying to downsize their data centers by moving to Linux and virtualizing as much as they can, running in AWS if possible. I tried to get some feedback at the end of the interview but he said something like "don't know, have to discuss it with the team". Persisting a little I asked if he had any reservations and he did respond that he didn't. As far as skills and experience goes, I thought the interview went well but didn't get a good feeling about the senior manager's aggressive attitude and unwillingness to give me any feedback. He did, however, volunteer that they would be moving quickly and would be making a decision that week so "I wouldn't have long to wait". As it turns out, I would have quite a long wait as I never heard from them again after the interview. Discovering that they are in the category of companies that don't have the courtesy to notify you once they've made a hiring decision despite the fact that you've made the time for an in-person interview was a disappointment. That combined with the senior manager's refusal to give me any feedback, his attitude and the dynamics of the group I interviewed with (they seemed slightly cowed by the senior manager) left me with serious reservations as to whether this would be a team I would want to work with anyway. And on top of all that, parking at the Hearst Tower and at all covered garages along Tryon is $130 a month. I was told it is not covered or subsidized by Hearst.

Interview Questions

• There really were no difficult or unexpected questions during the interview. The senior manager did seem interested in why I was considering making a change and why I left my previous position.   Answer Question

Information Technology Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Interview

Fairly average interview, they ask about my background and skills. The interview was quick, but the position did not require much experience. There was only one round of interviews. When hired it took a few days to receive the call, and I started the following week.

Interview Questions

• I told describe myself and how would I be a best fit for the position.   Answer Question