Hearst Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Sep 24, 2014
Updated Sep 24, 2014

2.5

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hearst Corporation.

phone interview first. this is mostly to get a broad idea of your skillset and how you would fit in, personality wise, with the team. interviews done by potential coworkers as well as managers, so more people have an opinion and compare notes. followed up by in-person technical interview. questions were textbook programming and involved writing on the whiteboard, on the spot so to speak, mostly interviewers interested in how you think while you solve problems, how you step through it mentally, what you do when you hit a wall, etc. how creative the problem solving process is. questions not hard per se, but also can be obscure and not everyday topics.

Interview Questions
    • range of front end and backend questions. some factual, others theoretical.   Answer Question
    negotiated salary fairly easily. not a huge increase over the initial offer, but not bad either. i always try to negotiate.

Account Manager/Advertising Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation.

I obtained the interview by first arranging an informational interview with the publication's regional sales manager. A few weeks later, he contacted me to advise of a job opening. We met for a more formal interview, and shortly thereafter, Hearst flew me to its New York corporate headquarters. I had an excellent experience with the magazine's staff, and felt my experience was a solid fit with the publication's sales goals and objectives. The day after I returned home, I received a job offer. However, a few hours later, the offer was rescinded because Corporate dictated the position go to a current Hearst employee. I was very disappointed, but the regional sales manager went out of his way to notify me about other opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • What do expect to be your total compensation?   View Answer

Ad Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Over a few months I interviewed with several magazines. I was very junior so I was not chosen several times until my skills and personality finally met with the right team.

I could not negotiate

Senior Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation in June 2014.

Applied online and heard nothing but managed to get a direct contact through a friend with the Dep Ed and then got an interview.
    Was very relaxed, asked about my history and for me to explain the direction I was heading. Then for me to suggest stories for the mag and how I would change anything.
    Was given an extensive edit test which is basically free work but you have to do it. Wanted 6-8 ideas and to edit a 2000 word feature.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult. I did my research about the again and the company.   Answer Question

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hearst Corporation in May 2014.

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week. Really basic interview, it was for entry level. First, I met with HR and then the director of the team I would be working on. Some behavioral questions and we talked about past job experiences.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Spoke with HR first, and then met with the team that I was joining.

Beauty Director Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Meetings with both HR and management team members

Interview Questions
    • Not that difficult -- mostly about what clients have relationships with   Answer Question

No connection with management team

Editorial Intern Interview

Contacted a local media group that they own. Got an interview request a few weeks later. Just one phone interview

Interview Questions
    • Mostly asked about my resume, and asked which stories in the newspaper I had most enjoyed.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Web Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation in March 2014.

I sent in my resume to a recruiter and heard back from the head of a department a few days later so schedule an interview. She emailed me on Sunday and we set up an interview on Tuesday. When I got there, she was about 15 minutes late. The interview was long, with her talking a lot, and at the end she told me that I would need to submit a writing test. It was basically a pitch package for different types of stories that I think would well on the site. I submitted it on Thursday evening. She acknowledged receiving the test, but didn't follow up with me after. After I sent two emails following up, she responded with a generic response, "we went with someone else." She didn't even acknowledge the editing test I had done (it took me 3-4 hours mind you). The interviewer also talked about the office politics, which I thought was super inappropriate. She seemed like she didn't really know what she was doing.

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation.

I submitted my resume through my school's career services website - I heard back from the company within 2 weeks and went in for a quick interview (2:1). Everyone was extremely nice, the interview was very informal and they were mostly trying to see if I was willing to intern for them, and if I was a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question, they were all pretty standard: walk us through your resume, why an internship in marketing.   Answer Question