Hearst Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

2.6

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

I had been working at Hearst as a temp for about 2 months in the Employee Benefits department. They asked if i would like to be a part of the department permanently as Administrative Assistant and I said yes. I spoke with 2 of the department heads and was hired from my temp position into full time.

Interview Questions

• What was my long term goals if hired   1 Answer

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn. After our initial phone call, I was set up for a technical phone screen with a member of their Devops team. During the phone screen, the person whom I was speaking with asked me a lot of general technical questions such as, “When you type a URL into your browser, describe for me, in as much detail as possible what happens.” Later, we discussed my background and some internals of things such as Apache, MySQL, etc. I received a follow-up e-mail about 2 days later inviting me to a 1-hour onsite interview. The interview consisted of a three-person panel, including the person whom I spoke with for the technical phone screen. This interview consisted of a review of my background, light technical discussion about topics such as code patterns, how Git works as well as a few other topics. Lastly, I was asked to debug some code on a whiteboard which generated a Fibonacci sequence. I took the opportunity to share an approach to this problem using generators in Python. Overall, I meshed very well with the folks in this interview. Approximately one week passed from the end of this interview until I heard back from the recruiter. I was invited to another 1-hour onsite interview, this time with three leadership-oriented people. The subject matter of this interview was about my experience, MySQL optimization and a rough explanation of what Puppet does and what configuration management suites I’ve used in the past. The interview concluded after approximately 30 minutes. What went right: The recruiting team I worked with were very approachable, knowledgeable and addressed any concerns I had up to final-round interview. Additionally, the first-round interviewers, including the person whom I spoke with on the phone asked very good questions. Between the recruiting team and the three first-round interviewers, everyone seemed like they would be great to work with. What went wrong (why I rated this a negative experience): I could tell about 10 minutes into the final-round interview that the interview panel did not think I was the best fit for this role. During this interview, one member of the panel did not even so much as make direct eye contact with me from behind their laptop screen nor did they ask any questions. In fact, they did not even introduce themselves to me. The two active members of the interview panel were chatting to each other via their open laptops about how the interview was going. These interviewers abruptly concluded the interview about 30 minutes in and showed me out without an opportunity to ask questions. Needless to say, this doesn’t present the corporate culture of Hearst Media in the most positive light. It is perfectly acceptable for the interview panel to think I am not a good fit for the role. However, it is unacceptable to be that unprofessional about it. I followed up with the recruiter about this and received a profuse apology. Thankfully this happened in the interview, since the final-round interviewers are not the type of people I want to work with. I should point out that I preemptively declined an offer since this experience was so bad that I would not entertain an offer if one was presented.

Interview Questions

• When you type a URL into your browser, describe for me, in as much detail as possible what happens.   Answer Question

Digital Media Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Hearst Corporation (Danbury, CT) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager and in person interview with hiring manager. Spent about an hour plus interviewing. The position was not selling what I expected. The recruiter was very nice but, didn't explain what the product to be sold or the position. This position was 100% cold calling and no customer maintenance.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

It was very brief. I think my experience spoke for itself. She contacted me by email. She had gotten a hold of my resume. There were no weird questions. I had experience in the specific area. She had gotten clips from my past work. I was afraid I wouldn't get it because I had more experience in fashion writing. So it was an easy interview. After the interview, I heard from her again once. We kept in contact until I got to the city. Everybody was really helpful inside the office. She didn't just leave me hanging. I found it easy after the interview and coming into the office to fit in. The work wasnt extremely hard. Just some heavy lifting and organizing. Tons of research, but I liked that.

Interview Questions

• Why do you like home interiors or decor? What do you want to accomplish here? Who do you want to meet while here?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (Buffalo, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Three step process. First a personal phone interveiw, then a technical phone interveiw, then finially an in-person interveiw. I only got to participate i the personal phone interview. I felt it went well but they must have been looking for something else. The woman i spoke with was friendly and very informative about the company and the buffalo area.

Interview Questions

• Describe a chalenging project you've worked on. descrbe yourself. How much are you looking to make?   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly laid back, but I would definitely consider it to be a fair assessment of my abilities. I love that they are really thorough finding the right person, and I respected them more for that fact. They also talked about the office environment and assessed my personality to make sure I would be the most effective candidate personality-wise.

Interview Questions

• If multiple editors asked you to help them complete each of their big projects by the end of the day, but you knew it would be an overload, what would you do?   Answer Question

Programmatic Yield Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online on the weekend and was contacted within several hours. I had a phone interview scheduled the following monday and an in person interview scheduled a few days after. The interview went well. I sat with two people, questions were fairly easy and it was more to get a sense of the role and for them to feel me out. Afterwards they said I would be hearing back shortly. It's been three weeks, I've followed up twice and have not received word back from anybody I interviewed. Its been a huge disappointment since the team seemed quite nice. A sorry, we've went with somebody else email would have been sufficient.

Art Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by the hiring manager via email. I came in for an interview about 3-4 days later, I had a one-on-one meeting in a conference room. The office had a relaxed vibe to it. The manager and staff were very kind, helpful and professional, but ultimately on follow-up the salary offer wasn't competitive so I declined.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to take a design test?   1 Answer

salary not competitive enough for the role

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The interviews themselves were decent. Everyone I met with was friendly and engaging and the questions were constructive and conversational rather than some of the stock interview questions. However, they way they handled the interview process was disorganized and frustrating. Scheduling interviews was somewhat cumbersome and arriving at their building was poorly coordinated. My biggest issue was that they invited me back for a 3rd in-person round and informed me that I was one of a few final candidates. That interview was difficult to pin down and after I had re-arranged my schedule with my current job, they canceled and told me they would need to reschedule it. I provided additional times and then when they didn't get back to me after a day reached out again. Finally I was told that they had moved ahead with someone else. Not getting the job is one thing, but you shouldn't promise a final round interview to someone and then jerk them around with the scheduling only to tell them "never mind". Unprofessional and frustrating.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hearst Corporation (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I was first contacted by HR to confirm my salary expectations. Then, I was contacted by the current assistant who arranged an interview with a Director within the department. The Director didn't ask me all too many questions about myself, but gave me a rundown of the job and opened up the floor for my own questions. I was then contacted by the Director a day later to come back for a second interview with the VP I would be supporting. Spent about a half hour with her describing her expectations and how demanding the job was going to be. In both cases, no hard/trick questions. I felt it was more a way for them to see me, gauge my character and how I'd react to the demanding job description. Have not heard back since I interviewed two weeks ago, but accepted an offer elsewhere.