Hearst Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Sep 5, 2014
Updated Sep 5, 2014

2.5

Account Manager/Advertising Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hearst Corporation.

I obtained the interview by first arranging an informational interview with the publication's regional sales manager. A few weeks later, he contacted me to advise of a job opening. We met for a more formal interview, and shortly thereafter, Hearst flew me to its New York corporate headquarters. I had an excellent experience with the magazine's staff, and felt my experience was a solid fit with the publication's sales goals and objectives. The day after I returned home, I received a job offer. However, a few hours later, the offer was rescinded because Corporate dictated the position go to a current Hearst employee. I was very disappointed, but the regional sales manager went out of his way to notify me about other opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • What do expect to be your total compensation?   View Answer

Senior Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hearst Corporation in June 2014.

Applied online and heard nothing but managed to get a direct contact through a friend with the Dep Ed and then got an interview.
    Was very relaxed, asked about my history and for me to explain the direction I was heading. Then for me to suggest stories for the mag and how I would change anything.
    Was given an extensive edit test which is basically free work but you have to do it. Wanted 6-8 ideas and to edit a 2000 word feature.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult. I did my research about the again and the company.   Answer Question

Ad Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Over a few months I interviewed with several magazines. I was very junior so I was not chosen several times until my skills and personality finally met with the right team.

I could not negotiate

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Hearst Corporation in April 2010.

I heard about the job through a friend. I interviewed with the magazine's editor. She wanted my resume, of course, but specifically, about my managing skills. A few days later, I was hired. I didn't have to jump through hoops, interviewing with lots if other management. The Editorial Director made the decision. And HR was very organized about setting you up.

Interview Questions
    • After detailing their operations, the Ed Director asked what, if any, changes I would make to have things run more smoothly.   Answer Question
    An offer was made. I tried for more and was told that after a few months, I might be considered for a raise. And I was about 5 months down the road and got what I wanted. As long as the offer is within your range, accept the offer and prove yourself worthy for what you originally wanted.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Hearst Corporation in August 2012.

First, I was contacted by the sales coordinator. Then, there were two rounds of interviews. One with sales coordinator and one with the sales assistant. About two days later, I was offered the internship. Of course, this internship requires school credit. So make sure that your university offers an internship program.

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hearst Corporation in May 2014.

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week. Really basic interview, it was for entry level. First, I met with HR and then the director of the team I would be working on. Some behavioral questions and we talked about past job experiences.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Spoke with HR first, and then met with the team that I was joining.

Beauty Director Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Meetings with both HR and management team members

Interview Questions
    • Not that difficult -- mostly about what clients have relationships with   Answer Question

No connection with management team

Ad Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hearst Corporation in June 2013.

Initial interview with HR. Just a general "personality" interview.
    2nd interview was with the team that I would be working with.

As a temp, there was no negotiation.

Web Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hearst Corporation in March 2014.

I sent in my resume to a recruiter and heard back from the head of a department a few days later so schedule an interview. She emailed me on Sunday and we set up an interview on Tuesday. When I got there, she was about 15 minutes late. The interview was long, with her talking a lot, and at the end she told me that I would need to submit a writing test. It was basically a pitch package for different types of stories that I think would well on the site. I submitted it on Thursday evening. She acknowledged receiving the test, but didn't follow up with me after. After I sent two emails following up, she responded with a generic response, "we went with someone else." She didn't even acknowledge the editing test I had done (it took me 3-4 hours mind you). The interviewer also talked about the office politics, which I thought was super inappropriate. She seemed like she didn't really know what she was doing.

Interview Questions

Worked for Hearst Corporation? Contribute to the Community!