Hearst Corporation

Getting the Interview

30 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Beauty Director Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Interview Details – Meetings with both HR and management team members

Interview Question – Not that difficult -- mostly about what clients have relationships with   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – No connection with management team

Ad Sales Assistant Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hearst Corporation in June 2013.

Interview Details – Initial interview with HR. Just a general "personality" interview.
2nd interview was with the team that I would be working with.

Negotiation Details – As a temp, there was no negotiation.

Web Editor Interview

Web Editor
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hearst Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details – I sent in my resume to a recruiter and heard back from the head of a department a few days later so schedule an interview. She emailed me on Sunday and we set up an interview on Tuesday. When I got there, she was about 15 minutes late. The interview was long, with her talking a lot, and at the end she told me that I would need to submit a writing test. It was basically a pitch package for different types of stories that I think would well on the site. I submitted it on Thursday evening. She acknowledged receiving the test, but didn't follow up with me after. After I sent two emails following up, she responded with a generic response, "we went with someone else." She didn't even acknowledge the editing test I had done (it took me 3-4 hours mind you). The interviewer also talked about the office politics, which I thought was super inappropriate. She seemed like she didn't really know what she was doing.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Editorial Intern Interview

Interviewed at Hearst Corporation

Interview Details – Contacted a local media group that they own. Got an interview request a few weeks later. Just one phone interview

Interview Question – Mostly asked about my resume, and asked which stories in the newspaper I had most enjoyed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Fashion Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Hearst Corporation in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very brief and I expected to be asked more questions than I was. The questions were very straight-forward such as, 'How would you best handle a difficult situation?' etc. Since the interview was so brief, I was a little nervous about getting hired but fortunately I was!

Interview Question – I wouldn't say that I asked a very difficult question during my interview.   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume through my school's career services website - I heard back from the company within 2 weeks and went in for a quick interview (2:1). Everyone was extremely nice, the interview was very informal and they were mostly trying to see if I was willing to intern for them, and if I was a good fit.

Interview Question – No difficult question, they were all pretty standard: walk us through your resume, why an internship in marketing.   Answer Question

Test Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hearst Corporation in May 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume through email to an employee who I had previously met at a networking event. About a week later I was asked to come in for an interview. After arriving I I had a short 30 minute interview with one of the Test Engineers. The questions were nothing too out of the ordinary and mostly just asked me to verify things on my resume.I was then given a tour of the floor where I was introduced to the other departments. Everyone was very friendly and you could tell that it was a great work environment.

Interview Question – What was your most recent challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant to the Publisher Interview

Executive Assistant to the Publisher
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hearst Corporation.

Interview Details – Hiring process was a total of 5 and very scattered. It took over 1 month and the recruiter was not very knowledgeable or on tune for the position as she could not answer my questions properly.

Interview Question – Asked multiple questions about company and department so do your homework and understand what they do and the history   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation and the job range i requested from initial interview dropped.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hearst Corporation in February 2010.

Interview Details – Chosen out of 300 applicants, three different interviews, very difficult to get the job. Hiring manager and I had the same hobbies and this may be the reason this set me apart.

Interview Question – All pretty straight forward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Salary is low pay.

Executive Assistant to the Publisher Interview

Executive Assistant to the Publisher
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Hearst Corporation in February 2012.

Interview Details – It was brief and informative, I found the human resources rep to be friendly and helpful.

Interview Question – Are you confident?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Hearst Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hearst Corporation interview questions and advice. All 30 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hearst Corporation employees and interview candidates.