Heartland Alliance Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2015

3.2

Prosumer On Community Support Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Hiring process started with a phone interview in which I was asked very basic questions, mainly to see my phone manners and my desire to work for them. Next was an in-person interview with two supervisors, one clinical supervisor and one business operations supervisor, which was the most in-depth segment of the interview process. Finally, there was a team interview with the Community Support Team, mainly to see if it was a proper fit for their team and for me.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a participant of the program was using drugs or drinking alcohol when you visited them in their home?   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I was given a 3 hour writing exercise to complete at home. Tasks included looking up flights, writing a letter, editing a budget, and creating a Power Point. I completed all the steps in the time allotted, but never heard from anyone again. I emailed Heartland Alliance a week later, and they told me they were still looking through applications and exercise responses. Then, a couple weeks after that, I received an automated message that the position had been filled. I had shown my work to a former supervisor and colleagues who had all been impressed and seemed sure I'd get an interview, which makes me think that something like my schedule or background contributed to my not getting the job. So why make me go through a 3 hour writing exercise if they weren't going to ever interview me anyway? It kind of made me happy I didn't get a job there. If this was the interview, what would working there had been like?

Residential Instructor Interview

Interview

Was long and consisted of several interviews. First a phone interview, then the first in-person interview, followed by a second in-person interview. The wait was long in between each interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

I came in as a referrel and they needed me so it really wasn't difficult. I applied for another position while I was there, a community finance advisor. I already worked there so any job that you apply for, and have the qualifications, you automatically get an interview. So I got the interview and it was standard.

Interview Questions

• Have you experience working with the immigrant community. Are you familiar with case management. Wha tis your experience with family finances. they gave me an example of a situation and I needed to write the steps I would take to handle it. The situation was a woman was in a shelter because of neighborhood violence she didn't want to live in her home and she had lots of debt. There might have been more to it. THen she gave me time to complete the question and I handed it in.   1 Answer

Case Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Heartland Alliance.

Interview

I submitted my application on a Sunday. Got a phone interview on a Tuesday. A face to face interview on a Thursday. Got a call back Friday to go into a site and shadow on Monday. Began working on Thursday. I had already been cleared by DCFS from a prior job. They need people fast at all times - rotating door of staff.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with high pressure situations such as AWOLs, fights, sexual advances.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The asked how much I wanted. I said 15 they began me at 14 but then moved my pay down to 13 due to the pay scale they go by.

Family Reunification Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Heartland Alliance (Des Plaines, IL).

Interview

My first interview was at the job fair they held. I had already applied to the position about a week before but figured I'd go to show my interest and desire for this position. The lady interviewed me and it went really well. She said they'd call me or email me for a second interview if I qualify. A couple of weeks later got the email I have been waiting for. Make the 45 minute drive out to the site. I started my interview with another employee there while the director was finishing up with another interview. Five minutes into my interview with her she states that she call tell me right away I don't qualify (which I do but I'm not going to sit there and argue). As if that wasn't bad enough she then tells me if I was interested in the other positions (WAAAYY lower pay). If I were interested I would have applied. I told her no thank you, "I'd like you to consider me for the job I came to interview for". She then proceeds to tell me that they no longer have any more positions for FRS. Waste of my time. I got the email on Thursday, and Monday all positions have been filled? No phone call or email to let me know nor was there an attempt. Thanks but no thanks. I would suggest they be a little more professional in that aspect. Some of us are looking to start a career and leading someone to believe they have a chance at something or deceivingly trying to recruit people to lower positions is unprofessional and looks bad on the agency.

Interview Questions

• Very easy interview. All questions were expected. Well, except for the one asking if I'd consider a different position.   Answer Question

Case Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Heartland Alliance in July 2014.

Interview

There were three interviews, the first was with supervisors, the second with the Program Director and the third with Human Resources. A lot of hoops to jump through for a relatively low paying position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL).

Interview

There were several interviews. One was a piece of cake the other two were grillers. Every time I thought the interview was over another person came in and interviewed me. One guy was eating a sandwich while he interviewed me. Each interview was about 3 1/2 hours long. The phone interview itself was 1 hour. Some of the questions didn't even relate to the position. I felt as thought I was applying for a citizenship test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They offered to pay me 3,000 less than I wanted so I declined. 2 Days later they called me and offered me 4,000 on top of their original offer. This also happened to my friend, who also got the job. He got them to add 1500 a year to his potential salary.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

From the beginning to the end of the process, the staff at Heartland Alliance was kind and helpful. I submitted a cover letter, resume, and writing sample that carefully spoke to the positions important requirements, including managing data sets and consolidating large data into comprehensive briefs. I received a response from the hiring manager a month after, and interviewed within three weeks after that. The interview included two staff members and also including a short writing assignment. All questions were focused on previous experience and focused on the positive contributions that a candidate could make.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage two projects with similar timelines? What questions would you ask, and what steps would you take to ensure both projects are completed timely and accurately?   Answer Question

Temp Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Heartland Alliance (Chicago, IL) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied online and then had both a phone interview and in person interview with a group of people I would be potentially working with. The questions mainly regarded my past experiences and skills and how this would relate to the work I would potentially be doing. Both interviews went extremely well, however due to lack of funding the position was made redundant. Which is a typical story for many jobs in the NGO sector.