Heartland Payment Systems Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2015

2.4

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

The gentleman I interviewed with was very smug. He acted just like the Sandler guys that have trained him and he seemed to have a chip on his shoulder the whole time. I have worked in sales and have a ton of sales experience but that didn't seem to matter to him. He also prejudged me based on two people he hired from a company I had worked for that didn't work out for him.

Interview Questions

• He asked me to name the compartments of the Sandler submarine.   1 Answer

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems (Cleveland, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

It was supposed to be a phone interview. The HR representative phoned the day before and asked some preliminary questions. I was informed that I had the skill set and experience they were looking for and then scheduled another phone interview the next day. The representative did not call me nor send an email explaining why. It was very dissappointing. I attempted to contact them three times via phone and email with no response. If this is how their Human Resources Department treats prospective employees, it makes me wonder how they treat current ones.

Interview Questions

• How did I like the "Generalist" role I held?   1 Answer

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview equivalent of the spartan race only to be disappointed at the end. For once, I agree with the bandwagon in saying shame on heartland. spent 15 mins w a phone screen-er, and then an hr impressing a recruiter who scheduled me for an interview with his boss. We met in the Marriott lobby and stayed in the lobby. yes that's right we interviewed in the lobby in public. I'm all for unique interviewing but it came off as if they were trying to big time me with the Marriott(ffs) and then falling flat. I interviewed for 2HRS & 45MINS before I stopped her and let her know it wasn't going to work for me. She took the rejection pretty badly and countered with, "but im making 3 times as much as my previous job" to which I said "good for you".. and then an awkward silence while she fumbled and dropped some paperwork to show my why i should take the job.

I'm sorry but if you want direct control over me and my work, and ownership of any inventions, and complete just ownership of me by locking me down as a W2, there better be a salary base.

THIS IS an independent contractor position but heartland is trying to double dip.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Heartland Payment Systems (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online via LinkedIn and was contacted by a recruiter in 48 hours. Talked in length about my experience and accomplishments. She was able to answer all my questions and I felt it went well. After that, I took an online assessment and was scheduled to meet with the Division Manager. DM asked similar questions but dove a bit deeper in growing my pipeline and situational questions. I understand some people's concern for the comp plan but this is why I wanted to work there. It is true pay for performance and I want to earn what I'm worth. It's not for everyone. If you are a marginal performer then your pay will reflect that.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you set a goal for yourself and failed? Reflecting, what could you have done differently?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

Initially,I was contacted by a recruiter who scheduled a phone interview with me for a couple days later. The phone interview with the recruiter laud approximately one hour. After my phone interview with the recruiter, she sent me an online personality profile assessment which consisted of multiple choice questions and took approximately one hour. I then was contacted a week layer by a local territory manager for a phone interview. After the phone interview with the local manager, he then requested and scheduled a face-to-face interview. In the face-to-fave interview, I interviewed with 2 different managers individually each lasting one hour. After I completed the in person interviews, I was contacted 3 days later with a job offer that I eventually declined.

Interview Questions

• Will your spouse be on board with you accepting a job paying commission only?   1 Answer

This position and company came across as a pyramid scheme In the interview. I was told that I would need to go out and recruit employees that would report to me and that I would make commission on what they sold. My gut instincts were "why are they trying to sell me on the job in this interview?" When I got home I logged into Glass Door and my suspicions were confirmed when I started reading the reviews from the current and former employees. Not only did I get confirmation on red flags but I also was able to get information regarding micromanagement and lack of training. Thank you Glass Door! Without your services I may have made a terrible decision for the future of my family and myself!

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems (Columbus, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter almost within 2 days form applying. Second meeting with district manager. Standard questions regarding previous employment and qualifications. Then moved on into asking standard questions about myself and success stories. Final part was about Heartland as a company and what they do as well as compensation and what is expected from you as a Relationship Manager.

Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems (Cleveland, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

Initial one hour interview with human resources representative.

Second interview with hiring manager which lasted a little less than one hour.

Both interviews were by phone and were very cordial. The human resources representative did a good job on selling the company and its benefits. The hiring manager did a good job at explaining the department structure and the expectations of the job.

Interview Questions

• What are my compensation expectations?   1 Answer

Division Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems (Las Vegas, NV) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, and spoke with him at length. He said he was hiring for Division Manager and was interested in me. I was passed to a second recruiter who e-mailed me about a entry level street level beat position. I declined that call and reminded them I was already talking to another recruiter who considering me for the Division Manager position. I then received a phone call from a third recruiter who suggested I could be hired for a Territory Manager position. I agreed to a in depth interview on this position. To my surprise a Territory Manager is a Street Level Entry Position where I have my own quota as a individual contributor and then have to go on 20 appointments a month with green newbies to the industry - all with no base. Lots of run around. They will hire anyone and put any in any position, because they don't have a base salary and it all still involves street level sales contribution. Maybe a fancy title. But not a management position for sure.

Interview Questions

• Would you consider proving yourself and your skills as a entry level representative before we promote you to a manager?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems (San Diego, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

First I met with territory manager, then division manager. Very important to them was a candidate's competitiveness and urgency. You should try to rank high on these when you complete the online personality test. As this is a work from home job, you should also try to reflect high levels of self-discipline and organization. They basically want someone who is hungry and can handle rejection.

Next you are hired on a temporary basis for their "Jump Start Program". You are supposed to get 10 first time appointments and 4 referral meetings in 5 business days. It amounts to a lot of cold calling, drop-ins, and using your existing network to sell a product/service you really know nothing about. In their forms they state that on average, it takes new RMs 10 working hours to achieve this but this is clearly false. They also do not tell you that your employment is dependent on successfully completing this program but they make you sign an agreement that states this. I did not receive the agreement until day 2 of my jump start which is when I backed out. Supposedly I was supposed to be compensated for my work and time however they have conditions for this and obviously they do not make it easy.

I believe the Heartland intentionally structures their hiring process to obtain a certain type of workforce - one that is young, bold, ambitious, and does not stop to question.

Based on my experience, I cannot believe the company is honest and transparent as they make themselves out to be. They were not up front about commission. I only found out after reading the fine print that the 50% signing bonus only applies to 3-year contracts and that it is capped at $7,500. While the 50% signing bonus was disclosed, the 3 year contract and $7,500 cap was not. When I asked about the cap, the TM lied and said there was no cap. Then he backtracked and said that that would apply if I get them on a 5-year contract.

I was also told by the TM that they are not an ISO but rather have a direct relationship with Visa and Mastercard and that's how they are able to offer such good pricing. Sounds great, right? Especially for a company that's entering a new market. Turns out it's false. On their website it says clearly at the bottom in fine print "Heartland is a registered ISO of Wells Fargo Bank..". When I asked the DM about this, he said they just provide insurance for Heartland similar to what the FDIC does for banks. However, if you read through their 10-K, you will find that this is not the case.

Those are just 2 of several examples where I was either lied to or mislead so based on my experience, I cannot believe the company is honest and transparent as they make themselves out to be. I was excited by the prospect for working for an honest and ethical company with unlimited earnings potential. And while I do believe there are a few salespersons in the company making lots of money, I would imagine that is the exception and not the norm. After my experience, I can fully see why others on this forum have likened heartland to a cult.

IT Interview

Interview

The hiring and interview process varies depending on the department. My personal experience was that the interview was fairly easy and generic. I had one interview with two individuals, and I received a job offer shortly thereafter. We basically just reviewed my resume and discussed my experience. There were no difficult or unexpected questions.

Interview Questions

• We just reviewed my resume, and discussed the job and my past experience.   Answer Question