Heartland Payment Systems Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems in March 2015.

Initially,I was contacted by a recruiter who scheduled a phone interview with me for a couple days later. The phone interview with the recruiter laud approximately one hour. After my phone interview with the recruiter, she sent me an online personality profile assessment which consisted of multiple choice questions and took approximately one hour. I then was contacted a week layer by a local territory manager for a phone interview. After the phone interview with the local manager, he then requested and scheduled a face-to-face interview. In the face-to-fave interview, I interviewed with 2 different managers individually each lasting one hour. After I completed the in person interviews, I was contacted 3 days later with a job offer that I eventually declined.

Interview Questions
    • Will your spouse be on board with you accepting a job paying commission only?   View Answer

This position and company came across as a pyramid scheme In the interview. I was told that I would need to go out and recruit employees that would report to me and that I would make commission on what they sold. My gut instincts were "why are they trying to sell me on the job in this interview?" When I got home I logged into Glass Door and my suspicions were confirmed when I started reading the reviews from the current and former employees. Not only did I get confirmation on red flags but I also was able to get information regarding micromanagement and lack of training. Thank you Glass Door! Without your services I may have made a terrible decision for the future of my family and myself!

Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems in March 2015.

Initial one hour interview with human resources representative.

Second interview with hiring manager which lasted a little less than one hour.

Both interviews were by phone and were very cordial. The human resources representative did a good job on selling the company and its benefits. The hiring manager did a good job at explaining the department structure and the expectations of the job.

Interview Questions
    • What are my compensation expectations?   View Answer

Division Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems in February 2015.

Contacted by a recruiter, and spoke with him at length. He said he was hiring for Division Manager and was interested in me. I was passed to a second recruiter who e-mailed me about a entry level street level beat position. I declined that call and reminded them I was already talking to another recruiter who considering me for the Division Manager position. I then received a phone call from a third recruiter who suggested I could be hired for a Territory Manager position. I agreed to a in depth interview on this position. To my surprise a Territory Manager is a Street Level Entry Position where I have my own quota as a individual contributor and then have to go on 20 appointments a month with green newbies to the industry - all with no base. Lots of run around. They will hire anyone and put any in any position, because they don't have a base salary and it all still involves street level sales contribution. Maybe a fancy title. But not a management position for sure.

Interview Questions
    • Would you consider proving yourself and your skills as a entry level representative before we promote you to a manager?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems in January 2015.

First I met with territory manager, then division manager. Very important to them was a candidate's competitiveness and urgency. You should try to rank high on these when you complete the online personality test. As this is a work from home job, you should also try to reflect high levels of self-discipline and organization. They basically want someone who is hungry and can handle rejection.

Next you are hired on a temporary basis for their "Jump Start Program". You are supposed to get 10 first time appointments and 4 referral meetings in 5 business days. It amounts to a lot of cold calling, drop-ins, and using your existing network to sell a product/service you really know nothing about. In their forms they state that on average, it takes new RMs 10 working hours to achieve this but this is clearly false. They also do not tell you that your employment is dependent on successfully completing this program but they make you sign an agreement that states this. I did not receive the agreement until day 2 of my jump start which is when I backed out. Supposedly I was supposed to be compensated for my work and time however they have conditions for this and obviously they do not make it easy.

I believe the Heartland intentionally structures their hiring process to obtain a certain type of workforce - one that is young, bold, ambitious, and does not stop to question.

Based on my experience, I cannot believe the company is honest and transparent as they make themselves out to be. They were not up front about commission. I only found out after reading the fine print that the 50% signing bonus only applies to 3-year contracts and that it is capped at $7,500. While the 50% signing bonus was disclosed, the 3 year contract and $7,500 cap was not. When I asked about the cap, the TM lied and said there was no cap. Then he backtracked and said that that would apply if I get them on a 5-year contract.

I was also told by the TM that they are not an ISO but rather have a direct relationship with Visa and Mastercard and that's how they are able to offer such good pricing. Sounds great, right? Especially for a company that's entering a new market. Turns out it's false. On their website it says clearly at the bottom in fine print "Heartland is a registered ISO of Wells Fargo Bank..". When I asked the DM about this, he said they just provide insurance for Heartland similar to what the FDIC does for banks. However, if you read through their 10-K, you will find that this is not the case.

Those are just 2 of several examples where I was either lied to or mislead so based on my experience, I cannot believe the company is honest and transparent as they make themselves out to be. I was excited by the prospect for working for an honest and ethical company with unlimited earnings potential. And while I do believe there are a few salespersons in the company making lots of money, I would imagine that is the exception and not the norm. After my experience, I can fully see why others on this forum have likened heartland to a cult.

IT Interview

The hiring and interview process varies depending on the department. My personal experience was that the interview was fairly easy and generic. I had one interview with two individuals, and I received a job offer shortly thereafter. We basically just reviewed my resume and discussed my experience. There were no difficult or unexpected questions.

Interview Questions
    • We just reviewed my resume, and discussed the job and my past experience.   Answer Question

Territory Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Heartland Payment Systems.

I found them on linked in. I invest in (and help start) a couple of business and worked in business to business sales for years. They called me/emailed me at the same time to set up an interview (12 hours after I applied). Had 1 phone interview that lasted 10 minutes a couple of days later.

For those that have no experience this company will prey on you. Those like me with years of sales management and experience with REAL companies will realize very fast this place is a MLM type scam. Territory Managers that are to recruit and train their own employees, dancing around direct questions about the position and quotas, "work from home," "make your own schedule," all the common phrases from scam companies. When the company is selling YOU to take the job, walk away (unless you are a specialist entertaining multiple offers obv.). Only MLM companies make you find your own staff and the managers had a PERSONAL quota on top of the teams. Are you kidding? The cherry on top? They were the same. So you want me to "hire, train, mentor, and guide" employees while working full time to hit sales quotas like a rep? That's not the purpose of a sales manager. I stopped the interview after this line of discussion to tell them I was not interested. I recommend those with experience not waste their time. 100% commission? No thanks, too many companies need sales people and offer base +commission with better products. Sign up with Mary Kay or Avon and you would probably make more money. Good luck.

Just read the description above.

Relationship Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems.

Pre-screen.. Followed by sales assessment. Then 1st interview w/ territory manager. Then 2nd interview by division manager. Then offered. Got to get a great feel for my expectations and the company expectations

Senior Product Advisor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Heartland Payment Systems.

Only had one interview...found out it is 100% commission payroll sales job. No way at all! Good luck getting anyone with experience to leave a current salaried position for 100% commission.

Relationship Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Heartland Payment Systems.

If "selected" they will ask you to go out an obtain 20 appointments as a condition of employment. Your manager will go out with you to these.

Interview Questions
    • Easy interview if you can fog a mirror your in as long as you can obtain 20 quality appts with merchants which is where the rubber meets the road.   Answer Question
    zero salary nothing to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Heartland Payment Systems.

Applied online received phone call from hiring center.
    2 interviews.