Heartland Payment Systems Relationship Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems in March 2015.

Initially,I was contacted by a recruiter who scheduled a phone interview with me for a couple days later. The phone interview with the recruiter laud approximately one hour. After my phone interview with the recruiter, she sent me an online personality profile assessment which consisted of multiple choice questions and took approximately one hour. I then was contacted a week layer by a local territory manager for a phone interview. After the phone interview with the local manager, he then requested and scheduled a face-to-face interview. In the face-to-fave interview, I interviewed with 2 different managers individually each lasting one hour. After I completed the in person interviews, I was contacted 3 days later with a job offer that I eventually declined.

Interview Questions
  • Will your spouse be on board with you accepting a job paying commission only?   View Answer

This position and company came across as a pyramid scheme In the interview. I was told that I would need to go out and recruit employees that would report to me and that I would make commission on what they sold. My gut instincts were "why are they trying to sell me on the job in this interview?" When I got home I logged into Glass Door and my suspicions were confirmed when I started reading the reviews from the current and former employees. Not only did I get confirmation on red flags but I also was able to get information regarding micromanagement and lack of training. Thank you Glass Door! Without your services I may have made a terrible decision for the future of my family and myself!

Other Interview Reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems in January 2015.

First I met with territory manager, then division manager. Very important to them was a candidate's competitiveness and urgency. You should try to rank high on these when you complete the online personality test. As this is a work from home job, you should also try to reflect high levels of self-discipline and organization. They basically want someone who is hungry and can handle rejection.

Next you are hired on a temporary basis for their "Jump Start Program". You are supposed to get 10 first time appointments and 4 referral meetings in 5 business days. It amounts to a lot of cold calling, drop-ins, and using your existing network to sell a product/service you really know nothing about. In their forms they state that on average, it takes new RMs 10 working hours to achieve this but this is clearly false. They also do not tell you that your employment is dependent on successfully completing this program but they make you sign an agreement that states this. I did not receive the agreement until day 2 of my jump start which is when I backed out. Supposedly I was supposed to be compensated for my work and time however they have conditions for this and obviously they do not make it easy.

I believe the Heartland intentionally structures their hiring process to obtain a certain type of workforce - one that is young, bold, ambitious, and does not stop to question.

Based on my experience, I cannot believe the company is honest and transparent as they make themselves out to be. They were not up front about commission. I only found out after reading the fine print that the 50% signing bonus only applies to 3-year contracts and that it is capped at $7,500. While the 50% signing bonus was disclosed, the 3 year contract and $7,500 cap was not. When I asked about the cap, the TM lied and said there was no cap. Then he backtracked and said that that would apply if I get them on a 5-year contract.

I was also told by the TM that they are not an ISO but rather have a direct relationship with Visa and Mastercard and that's how they are able to offer such good pricing. Sounds great, right? Especially for a company that's entering a new market. Turns out it's false. On their website it says clearly at the bottom in fine print "Heartland is a registered ISO of Wells Fargo Bank..". When I asked the DM about this, he said they just provide insurance for Heartland similar to what the FDIC does for banks. However, if you read through their 10-K, you will find that this is not the case.

Those are just 2 of several examples where I was either lied to or mislead so based on my experience, I cannot believe the company is honest and transparent as they make themselves out to be. I was excited by the prospect for working for an honest and ethical company with unlimited earnings potential. And while I do believe there are a few salespersons in the company making lots of money, I would imagine that is the exception and not the norm. After my experience, I can fully see why others on this forum have likened heartland to a cult.

Relationship Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems.

Pre-screen.. Followed by sales assessment. Then 1st interview w/ territory manager. Then 2nd interview by division manager. Then offered. Got to get a great feel for my expectations and the company expectations

Relationship Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Heartland Payment Systems.

If "selected" they will ask you to go out an obtain 20 appointments as a condition of employment. Your manager will go out with you to these.

Interview Questions
    • Easy interview if you can fog a mirror your in as long as you can obtain 20 quality appts with merchants which is where the rubber meets the road.   Answer Question
    zero salary nothing to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Heartland Payment Systems.

Applied online received phone call from hiring center.
    2 interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems in February 2014.

Applied to job posting via email. I received a email reply with a phone screen invite. The phone screen was a traditional introduction call, which ended with a description of the 100% commissioned pay plan.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. All questions were very traditional, like what do you like most/least about your current position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems in October 2013.

The interview process was extremely easy. I hired in about 15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult or unexpected about this interview process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems in August 2013.

They did not set the proper expectations nor did the hiring manager step up to helpo in the field as he promised and as advertised in the job description. They spent too much time looking to hire 10 new reps and hoping a 1 or 2 would stick it out. Promised a management position with no training.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Heartland Payment Systems.

Total calamity. Just don't do it.

Recently Heartland approached me about working for them. They fussed for 1.5 months of the $1000 per week draw that ended in 6 months that I needed to live on until I got the territory up and running, but bragged that I would be making upwards of 10K per month with in a year. This was all before I even began my "initiation" process. They have this "initiation" 2 week period, called Jump Start that you work for minimum wage, supply them with 20 strong contacts and 4 referral partners. They expect you to QUIT your current job and dedicate everything to Heartland even though you will NOT get a JOB offer unless everything is done "exactly" perfect per Heartland during the initiation "Jump Start" period. They will ask you to put their name on your car insurance during this period too. You will go through this "initiation" process with NO Training on their computer system ATLAS, NO Nothing about the products and have to be totally dependent on your Manager because you have to take them on your first 20 appointments. You will hear words like Transparent, Honest, Ethical and Character be very cautious. Your will have to sign a Jump Start Contract. Durning my Jump Start the Manager tried to Re Negotiate my pay, Codes were NOT supplied to me the first day of Jump Start but 4 days later inhibiting my ability to achieve any timely success, Management has NO sense of urgency of your success or do they care. I had live appointment that manager really didn't care about then merchants went to other processors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online – interviewed at Heartland Payment Systems in December 2012.

Applied off add on LinkedIn, met with DM and TM. interviewed a few times. Then brought me on board. Needed to make 10 appointments to get started.

Interview Questions
    • How do you expect to handle coming up with new leads to create business   View Answer
    no negotiation, 100% commission.