HeidelbergCement

Very Difficult Interview

IT Project Manager - II Interview

IT Project Manager - II
Irving, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at HeidelbergCement in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an e-mail three months later asking if I am interested in a phone screening. In the initial e-mail they mentioned I was overqualified for the position and it was not a senior level job. Either way - I had a phone screening with the Sr. Recruiter which lasted 30 minutes. He asked me regular Project Management questions and gave me the salary info and about the company. Within the same day he set up an interview with the Hiring Manager. I had a 30 minutes phone conversation with her who asked regular PM questions. I have been doing PM job for 10+ years (including 7+ years with Fortune 1) I answered all the questions with as much details as possible. The next day I got a call from a Recruiting Coordinate who set up an onsite interview.
The onsite interviewers name and positions were sent to me in advance.

At the onsite interview I spent one hour with the Hiring Manager (non - technical and not a PM) who told me about the company, told me about their process and asked regular PM questions. I mentioned some fundamental mistakes they are making with their process and told her I will be able to help her fix those. I told her - I will not sugar code things, and I am a straight shooter.

I spend the next hour with 4 employees (to be the peers) for an hour. Couple of them were PM Level I and I was interviewing for Level II. They attacked me like a bunch of dogs like I was a piece of meat. I answered all the questions with utmost respect and with examples of the projects. They all were trying to show each other that they were smarter than me and each other by outdoing each other with questions. I I showed them my portfolio of 15+ certificates, Systems Engineering Degree, MBA degree and so on. I thought that it was a conflict of interest for two employees that were at Level I to conduct my interview as they seemed to be interested in taking on the Level II position themselves. Anyhow - they tried to trip me with questions

Interview Question – If you had to choose one phase of the project to be most important, which phase would it be?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at HeidelbergCement in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through my University and several weeks after submission, I was contacted by phone by the manager of sales and marketing asking me if I could come to their site for an interview the next morning. The interview was with the manager of sales and marketing and the manager of engineering. The interview was very easy, with them just going over my resume and asking questions. I was then shown around and met the current intern who they told me to talk to for a few minutes. The intern was generally unresponsive, but when I was able to get a sentence out of him, he said he was generally uninterested in the job because he was simply reproducing 2D AutoCAD sketches for months. I was then given a tour of the facility and by now I was fairly sure I was going to get an offer.

Interview Question – What does this thing on your resume mean?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I went into this interview knowing that they only had two intern positions for this year and they already had verbally given job offers to two of my friends. They promptly sent the email offer to one of my friends who accepted, but they held off on sending the more official email offer to the other. They instead sent the second email offer to myself a few days after my interview. I was disgusted with the company and declined the offer.

Worked for HeidelbergCement? Contribute to the Community!