Heidrick & Struggles

Updated Nov 12, 2014
Updated Nov 12, 2014

2.7

Partner/Principal Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Heidrick & Struggles.

An unprofessional process -- took over 8 months in waiting for interviews to be scheduled, followed through, and feedback to be provided. All indications had been positive up to the very last set of interviews and then a complete reversal of direction to basically conclude, not that skills and experience weren't a fit, but rather that the "rolodex" of former clients wasn't as strong as what they needed. Interviewers generally unprepared as if someone had just handed the resume to them a few minutes prior to the beginning of the interview and with little direction as to topics to cover.

Also disturbing was how people talked about the organization -- to a person, multiple references were made as to how the organization has struggled internally with past CEOs; the lack of positive relationships/in fighting across the different business lines; unclear vision and strategic direction; and the lack of collegial, respectful relationships among peers. Also mentioned was the arbitrary manner in which performance management activities are conducted, citing unclear performance expectations; minimal and/or inconsistent feedback; and increased sales targets, set independently of true business planning. It was as if everyone wanted to validate the various articles that have been published regarding the struggles that the organization has had over the past several years -- i.e., yes, we're bad and we are determined to prove it to you. Well, they certainly succeeded -- exceeding all expectations for how badly a recruiting process can be conducted and not withstanding a bad process, how disappointingly unprofessional the practitioners and leadership team turned-out to be.

Talent Acquisition Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Heidrick & Struggles in January 2014.

Through networking, I was contacted by a "Partner in Charge" in Heidrick & Struggles Dallas office. After preparing thoroughly for the meeting and driving an hour to their office, I was met by an assistant who was completely surprised at my presence. The "Partner in Charge" was no where to be found. I was put in a conference room and told my interviewer was "parking" and would be up to meet me in 5 minutes. Literally 43 minutes later, this "Partner in Charge" came into the conference room and sat down. He didn't even apologize. Instead, he started swearing that his assistant didn't bring in any paper for him to write things down on. He excused himself and made the assistant come into the conference room and after he sat down, give him paper and a writing instrument. I was very uncomfortable as I'm sure the assistant was. I mentally chalked his behavior up to the stress of running late for the interview.

He then proceeded to tell me he didn't feel I was a fit for the role his client was looking for. I asked him why he felt the need to meet me face to face and suggested we could have networked for other opportunities over the phone. He said that was probably the right thing to do and seemed flustered. He then regrouped and said he wanted me to meet one of his newest recruiters. Always taking the opportunity to network, I agreed. He brought in this new recruiter and they proceeded to talk about their golf outings at various country clubs.

The arrogance and readily apparent incompetence of this "Partner in Charge" was astounding. As a 20+ year veteran of agency, RPO and Corporate Talent Acquisition, I can honestly say this was the worst recruiting experience I have been a part of. On the bright side, I can now share my story to recruiting managers and recruiters as an example of what not to do.

Stay away from this company. There are much, much more competent Executive Search firms in Dallas.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Heidrick & Struggles in January 2014.

I had four interview rounds. They weren't too difficult, and mostly you got to ask the questions. It was more about making sure I had all my questions answered and could decided if this was the position for me, than assessing my skills. I felt very comfortable, and I had all the information I needed to make a decision.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't feel like there were any questions that were too difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Heidrick & Struggles.

2 video interviews with corporate. 6 in-person interviews in the satellite office I would be working.

Interview Questions
    • None, straightforward behavioral questions and career review.   Answer Question
    Good back and forth dialogue

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Heidrick & Struggles in July 2008.

My hiring process was great. I met with the Office Administrator for the first round. I was invited back to meet with potential Partner and Associate I would be supporting. The recruiter I was working with (through the Office Administrator) let me know with 7 days that they would be offering me the position. i was very happy with the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult, the entire process was very easy to be honest. The Partner I worked for and interviewed with was very polite and asked smart questions.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. I was very happy with the offer.

SRA Interview

Comprehensive

Professional

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Heidrick & Struggles in January 2013.

noting to be afraid of , had to give a ppt on a topic followed by an interview. there is no GD or any thing

Interview Questions
    • The ppt topic was very abstract, has to get to the finer details of it, have to think a lot about it.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Heidrick & Struggles in November 2012.

In the HR round I was asked a very known and obvious question tell me about yourself and then about your summer internship.
    About strength and weakness.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Heidrick & Struggles in May 2012.

There were three rounds..

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Heidrick & Struggles in November 2011.

Very much a word-of-mouth/reputation type of hiring - you need to be known in the market and have reference-able experience with former employers and clients.
    You are only as good as your market reputation.
    Be open and don't be shy to shout out your achievements.
    3-5 rounds of interviews, depending on your experience and position that you are applying for.

Interview Questions
    • None really - if you are confident and well-prepared, there should not be any difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question
    A bit one-sided, take it or leave it.