Helzberg Diamonds Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.3

Store Manager Interview

Interviewed with regional and flew to Kansas City to interview with DVP and Sr. Vp. interviewed with various people. Interviews were intense and long. Interviewers were professional and well informed. A very long process.

Interview Questions
    • What to do with a team member who isn't meeting expectations.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds.

Interview process at my time of hire was a 3-part process. It included two interviews and a telescreen session which verified I wasn't a crazy person or a liar. After successful hire, I was subjected to a hair drug screen, which was painless. The interview is set to be intimidating, but is much less difficult, and hiring is based of a good first impression. Dress well.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, based on wages.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hanover, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in September 2010.

Do skills test online then a few days later got phone call for interview 1:1 with store manager, after pass u'll interview wit region manager, and store manager and then phone test. Then Background check and drug test.

Interview Questions
    U can negotiate if u have experience.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds.

there was a total of 3 interviews. first, with the store manager. She asked about my jewelry experience in regards to length of experience and what i sold most. she also asked about my sales style (if Im a soft or hard closer); what my past sales numbers were; why i left my previous job. She asked me if i knew who Warren Buffet was and i did not. luckily, this wasn't a deal breaker, but i highly recommend knowing who he is, and about his decision to purchase helzberg in 1995. She also asked me to tell her about a time a customer was very angry and displeased and how i handled it. The second interview entailed an automated phone interview and i think that was when i also consented to a credit check (if you have significanty bad credit, you might not get the job). The phone interview asked questions about my experiences with coworker dishonesty, my reactions, my marijuana use--if I've ever experimented at all-- my friends' recreational use of marijuana, extacy, etc.), if I've ever been fired, my political views on the legalization of marijuana, if I'm answering honestly... and a bunch of other questions that will leave you anxiously waiting for the next question you might answer "incorrectly". the third interview entailed meeting the regional manager, which asked pretty much the same questions as the manager in the first interview. it was at this third interview that i was offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really stumped me, so I'd have to go with the question about who Warren Buffet was - quite embarrassing not to know and a giant plus if you can discuss him.   Answer Question
    there was no negotiation. the job was offered, i accepted, and was asked to take a hair follicle test the same day.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds.

Advertised opening was for a specific mall in which I had worked as a jewelry store manager. Half hour interview was with a store manager who explained that the regional manager had asked him to meet with me. We met standing in a Helzberg store with several associates looking on, but far enough away so they probably could not hear us. A couple was looking at diamonds in the more private office area where I presume the interview would have taken place if the space had been available. Interviewer provided an overview of the company, Warren Buffet ownership, company expansion plans, mall hours, Christmas holiday vacation restrictions. During the interview apologized and left me twice to handle questions from sales associate who was working with the couple. The interviewer called me a fe days later to say that they had filled all open positions internally, but said, this is retail so things change fast so stay in touch. The manager who interviewed me ended up in the advertised position.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to start as a sales associate to get to know our systems and culture?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in January 2008.

Had to go through quite a few interviews because I think they will weed out not so good potentials, but I don't think that is always the case because some people can BS there way through anything.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a certain question on something you don't have experience in.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in August 2010.

The order of this process can vary from person to person, however generally this is how it happens. After you apply, they first weed out who they might consider. Then they run your credit. Bad credit? Forget about working at Helzberg, they don't make exceptions. Next, they will call you in for an interview with the manager. If you make that cut you also have to make it through the background check and a phone interview with a security company. Be careful with your answers on the phone interview, it is slightly counter intuitive and not very many people pass. There is also a drug test (they use a hair sample) that you must pass. Next, if you have made it to the last stage you will have an interview with the Regional manager to make a final selection. This process can and did take around 3 weeks. This is a normal hiring time for Helzberg.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate my hourly pay slightly, and also work hour stipulations. If you have experience and something to back up your requests make sure you ask. Of course wait until after you have been offered the job for the pay - but I was very upfront about my personal priorities and what hours I would be working.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Macon, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds.

Interviewed with Regional Sales Manager, whose challenge questions were somewhat insulting; seemingly more geared towards self-display of position than being geared towards a hiring solution -whose ramblings of personal knowledge/gains were clearly placed out there for leaving the impression. Regardless, my experience in retail sales (as well as senior management positions) for the most part spoke for itself. It became, then, a matter of allowing the "motions" to play themselves out.

Interview Questions
    • Questions that could have multiple definitions/meanings; depending on previous work experiences/companies engaged with.   View Answer
    For me, my interview took place at the food court of the particular mall I was to be hired at; with all of the associable noise that accompanied a lunchtime encounter at such a location. Because of my (previous) experience, my requested amount had to be negotiated between the GM and VP, who ultimately approved it. Interestingly enough, the interview with the VP occurred at Atlanta-Hartsfield airport over a quick (airport restaurant) lunch (before the VP was to catch his next flight out... home to Kansas). The VP, as it turned-out, was a genuinely nice guy, with a proper management style/attitude.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds.

I applied online, the manager called me and I went in for an interview, it lasted probably an hour, there was much social talking mixed in with regular interview questions. I was called back for a second interview both with store manager and the assistant manager, it was basically just more of the same. They offered me the job then and I started work the next week.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult, this manager was very easy to talk to.   Answer Question
    Be sure you know what your STATUS is going to be before accepting a position.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in March 2009.

Whole process took over a month from submission of application/resume. Three total interviews. Process has recently changed to make it more streamlined and quicker. Less interviews and "red tape" before a candidate gets an offer. Also at least half of the new process is done online without meeting anyone. Once a face to face interview is set, the hiring manager has pretty much made up their mind whether you are to be hired or not. It is encouraged to think about what other locations you are willing to work at, because often for advancement or for general business needs you will be asked to accept a position at a different location (where there will be a better fit).

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard interviews...involved more the company selling itself and applying itself to the candidate's experience and desires than other way around. Because of this format, make sure you have your questions ready to inquire more about the company, expectations, and how realistic those expectations are. If possible, talk to current employees to get their candid feelings and opinions (but remember take every bit of advice or opinion with a "a grain of salt")   Answer Question
    It is necessary to look at the base wage as whether that is livable. Although the company promotes positions as commission and bonus based, it is currently very difficult to make those standards (especially if you are just starting out with the company).

Worked for Helzberg Diamonds? Contribute to the Community!