Helzberg Diamonds

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in March 2010.

I applied online. The district manager set up my review with who was then the store manager of the Oak Park location. He was a little smug. He even looked me over and said he thought I had the look they were going for. I almost didn't return for my next interview with the district manager. But I did and that interview was great.

Interview Questions
    • You really need strong sales experience. Mostly scenarios of how to handle customers.   Answer Question
    Well they offered me a dollar less an hour of what I was currently making. With the promise of amazing commission potential.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Helzberg Diamonds.

Interview process at my time of hire was a 3-part process. It included two interviews and a telescreen session which verified I wasn't a crazy person or a liar. After successful hire, I was subjected to a hair drug screen, which was painless. The interview is set to be intimidating, but is much less difficult, and hiring is based of a good first impression. Dress well.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, based on wages.

Store Manager Interview

Interviewed with regional and flew to Kansas City to interview with DVP and Sr. Vp. interviewed with various people. Interviews were intense and long. Interviewers were professional and well informed. A very long process.

Interview Questions
    • What to do with a team member who isn't meeting expectations.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Longer process but thorough as they want a good fit for the store. Three interviews with three separate managers and then had another with a regional manager. Interview was straightforward with many behavioral questions. Sales and customer based questioning focusing on reactions.

Negotiation accepted.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Helzberg Diamonds.

I applied online, the manager called me and I went in for an interview, it lasted probably an hour, there was much social talking mixed in with regular interview questions. I was called back for a second interview both with store manager and the assistant manager, it was basically just more of the same. They offered me the job then and I started work the next week.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult, this manager was very easy to talk to.   Answer Question
    Be sure you know what your STATUS is going to be before accepting a position.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Helzberg Diamonds.

Advertised opening was for a specific mall in which I had worked as a jewelry store manager. Half hour interview was with a store manager who explained that the regional manager had asked him to meet with me. We met standing in a Helzberg store with several associates looking on, but far enough away so they probably could not hear us. A couple was looking at diamonds in the more private office area where I presume the interview would have taken place if the space had been available. Interviewer provided an overview of the company, Warren Buffet ownership, company expansion plans, mall hours, Christmas holiday vacation restrictions. During the interview apologized and left me twice to handle questions from sales associate who was working with the couple. The interviewer called me a fe days later to say that they had filled all open positions internally, but said, this is retail so things change fast so stay in touch. The manager who interviewed me ended up in the advertised position.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to start as a sales associate to get to know our systems and culture?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Helzberg Diamonds.

Interviewed with Regional Sales Manager, whose challenge questions were somewhat insulting; seemingly more geared towards self-display of position than being geared towards a hiring solution -whose ramblings of personal knowledge/gains were clearly placed out there for leaving the impression. Regardless, my experience in retail sales (as well as senior management positions) for the most part spoke for itself. It became, then, a matter of allowing the "motions" to play themselves out.

Interview Questions
    • Questions that could have multiple definitions/meanings; depending on previous work experiences/companies engaged with.   View Answer
    For me, my interview took place at the food court of the particular mall I was to be hired at; with all of the associable noise that accompanied a lunchtime encounter at such a location. Because of my (previous) experience, my requested amount had to be negotiated between the GM and VP, who ultimately approved it. Interestingly enough, the interview with the VP occurred at Atlanta-Hartsfield airport over a quick (airport restaurant) lunch (before the VP was to catch his next flight out... home to Kansas). The VP, as it turned-out, was a genuinely nice guy, with a proper management style/attitude.

Full Time Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Helzberg Diamonds.

Phone interview, in-store interview with store manager, followed by interview with Regional Manager

Very easy

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in March 2009.

Whole process took over a month from submission of application/resume. Three total interviews. Process has recently changed to make it more streamlined and quicker. Less interviews and "red tape" before a candidate gets an offer. Also at least half of the new process is done online without meeting anyone. Once a face to face interview is set, the hiring manager has pretty much made up their mind whether you are to be hired or not. It is encouraged to think about what other locations you are willing to work at, because often for advancement or for general business needs you will be asked to accept a position at a different location (where there will be a better fit).

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard interviews...involved more the company selling itself and applying itself to the candidate's experience and desires than other way around. Because of this format, make sure you have your questions ready to inquire more about the company, expectations, and how realistic those expectations are. If possible, talk to current employees to get their candid feelings and opinions (but remember take every bit of advice or opinion with a "a grain of salt")   Answer Question
    It is necessary to look at the base wage as whether that is livable. Although the company promotes positions as commission and bonus based, it is currently very difficult to make those standards (especially if you are just starting out with the company).

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in September 2009.

Three interview are typical

They give a base pay and tell you how much you can make with commission which in the end is unrealistic.