Helzberg Diamonds

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hanover, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in September 2010.

Interview Details – Do skills test online then a few days later got phone call for interview 1:1 with store manager, after pass u'll interview wit region manager, and store manager and then phone test. Then Background check and drug test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – U can negotiate if u have experience.

Portland, OR

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in September 2011.

Interview Details – Store manager was very interested in me due to my strong retail background. They seemed very friendly. but asked me personal questions during the first interview. That should have been my warning. This was followed by a pleasant, but lukewarm interview with the regional manager. I then had another interview and was told " My regional doesn't think that your enthusiastic for the job, but I'm willing to give you a shot" I was really taken back by this comment. It was very unprofessional and set a negative tone.

Interview Question – Are you in a relationship or do you have any family ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no room negotiation. I was lead to believe that I would earn enough Commission to make up for the low hourly wage.

Very Easy Interview

Austin, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in June 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online at the Helzburg Diamonds website and it took about 30 minutes to enter in all of the information. I was informed that a background check, credit check, and hair test would be required if hired for the job. I met one on one with the store manager of the location I applied at which was at a mall location. The interview was short and I was asked only a few questions. We talked about the the background and values of the company which all sounded very good. The manager was nice and the employees said they had worked there for several years and liked working there.

Interview Question – Do you know anything about the company?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The pay was too low for what I was looking for in a sales position. Retail hours and location were also turnoffs for the job.

Sales Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in July 2010.

Interview Details – This part was good, I was interviewed by not only the manager, but also the district manager and met with a long term employee also.

Interview Question – I don't really remember   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds.

Interview Details – there was a total of 3 interviews. first, with the store manager. She asked about my jewelry experience in regards to length of experience and what i sold most. she also asked about my sales style (if Im a soft or hard closer); what my past sales numbers were; why i left my previous job. She asked me if i knew who Warren Buffet was and i did not. luckily, this wasn't a deal breaker, but i highly recommend knowing who he is, and about his decision to purchase helzberg in 1995. She also asked me to tell her about a time a customer was very angry and displeased and how i handled it. The second interview entailed an automated phone interview and i think that was when i also consented to a credit check (if you have significanty bad credit, you might not get the job). The phone interview asked questions about my experiences with coworker dishonesty, my reactions, my marijuana use--if I've ever experimented at all-- my friends' recreational use of marijuana, extacy, etc.), if I've ever been fired, my political views on the legalization of marijuana, if I'm answering honestly... and a bunch of other questions that will leave you anxiously waiting for the next question you might answer "incorrectly". the third interview entailed meeting the regional manager, which asked pretty much the same questions as the manager in the first interview. it was at this third interview that i was offered a position.

Interview Question – Nothing really stumped me, so I'd have to go with the question about who Warren Buffet was - quite embarrassing not to know and a giant plus if you can discuss him.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation. the job was offered, i accepted, and was asked to take a hair follicle test the same day.

Sales Associate

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in January 2008.

Interview Details – Had to go through quite a few interviews because I think they will weed out not so good potentials, but I don't think that is always the case because some people can BS there way through anything.

Interview Question – How would you handle a certain question on something you don't have experience in.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Helzberg Diamonds in August 2010.

Interview Details – The order of this process can vary from person to person, however generally this is how it happens. After you apply, they first weed out who they might consider. Then they run your credit. Bad credit? Forget about working at Helzberg, they don't make exceptions. Next, they will call you in for an interview with the manager. If you make that cut you also have to make it through the background check and a phone interview with a security company. Be careful with your answers on the phone interview, it is slightly counter intuitive and not very many people pass. There is also a drug test (they use a hair sample) that you must pass. Next, if you have made it to the last stage you will have an interview with the Regional manager to make a final selection. This process can and did take around 3 weeks. This is a normal hiring time for Helzberg.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my hourly pay slightly, and also work hour stipulations. If you have experience and something to back up your requests make sure you ask. Of course wait until after you have been offered the job for the pay - but I was very upfront about my personal priorities and what hours I would be working.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Helzberg Diamonds

Worked for Helzberg Diamonds? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Helzberg Diamonds Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Helzberg Diamonds employees and interview candidates.