Hensel Phelps Construction

Updated Jan 5, 2015

2.6

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

Three interviews, including a dinner and round robin style interviews the next morning. Easy going people, very concerned with right fit versus skills you bring to the table. Fun interview process, don't get stressed out!

Interview Questions
Not flexible with their offer

Other Interview Reviews for Hensel Phelps Construction

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

The interview was with five operation managers. The questions were unlike any other interview I have had in they past in the sense that they were not asked by HR personnel. All of the questions were field and experienced based. No trick or psychological questions here. Very smooth and went by quickly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

The on campus interview was very behavioral question based.
    Second Interview: 5 Separate interviews. Job Site visit. Social event. The entire process was very relaxed and the company is mainly looking for whether you are a good fit for the company. The company office was very nice and everyone was friendly.

Low starting salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction in October 2014.

I was part of the college recruitment process for my starting interview. I was asked to fly on the company budget to Arizona to participate in the second round of interviews. The second round of interviews started as a social activity the night before the interviews with about 25 people from the district office. We went to a driving range by the name of Top Golf and had a very enjoyable time. The environment was very laid back and it was pretty easy to talk with others and get to know the people in the company. The next morning the interviews were held from 8 A.M. till 4 P.M. with a lunch break in between the interviews were round robin and I was interviewed by six different members of the company ranging form the community outreach coordinator, to superintendents, operations managers and then the district manager. The interviews seemed to just be a continuation of the conversations that I had been having with those individuals the night before. Fairly laid back, but at the same time there were two that had more of a direct approach personality during the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were handed a quarter million dollars?   View Answer

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction in October 2014.

Was called the next day from applying through college website. Once i met with the HP rep, the conversation stayed primarily on the role of the job and a brief run down of the way the company is internally structured and how you advance. Any and all other questions were either geared towards my understanding of the company and where i see myself in the near future... (Their eyes light up when you say " i am looking to relocate") other than that for me the initial interview went well. (This post being roughly 34hrs since we spoke) . Currently waiting for second call

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Hensel Phelps   View Answer
    • What type of background do you have in construction?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction in August 2014.

The interview process truly starts upon shaking the recruiter's hand (usually on-campus) and continues for a solid two weeks thereafter. The first engagement determines whether or not you'll be attending the actual interview at the district that's hiring. Upon making the cut (from the pool of first-impression-candidates), you'll move on to the "Round Robin" interview which consists of 5 to 10 current employees. The interviewers do not take on HR roles but range from Project Engineers to Managers and Superintendents.

Interview Questions
    • Overall, there truly was not a difficult question. The questions were quite exciting and straightforward.   Answer Question
    I do not suggest negotiating - The company does a very good job in putting forth a competitive yet fair offer. Do ask about the company benefits and learn about what employees of the company accumulate over time in the form of additional benefits and retirement plan. It'll make more sense as to why an entry level candidate shouldn't negotiate the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chantilly, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chantilly, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction in May 2014.

I was asked to come to Chantilly for 2 days for interviews. We went to Bonefish for dinner. It was lowkey, just a chance to meet some younger guys in the company. The next day we went and toured a few jobsites, checked out the office, and then had round robin interviews.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were too difficult. Use 3 words to describe yourself was one of the questions.   Answer Question
    I haven't declined or accepted yet. I have also not tried to negotiate yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction in March 2014.

Make sure you show the you have a passion for building, construction and do not mind getting dirty. Dinner and Bocci Ball with all the Candidates then they get you a hotel room. Next day you interview with about 7 different people all separately.

Interview Questions
    • What is the funnest thing you have ever done?   View Answer

Field Engineer Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

I sat in front of a superintendent and an estimator. There interview was very straight forward and comfortable. They really just reviewed my resume with me. The big key with these guys is to display that you are willing to pick up and move wherever they need you.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation, everyone starts out with the same offer

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction in November 2013.

The interview process took about a week. I went in and met several managers, a week later I received a formal offer.