Hensel Phelps Construction

Average Difficulty
21 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chantilly, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction in May 2014.

Interview Details – I was asked to come to Chantilly for 2 days for interviews. We went to Bonefish for dinner. It was lowkey, just a chance to meet some younger guys in the company. The next day we went and toured a few jobsites, checked out the office, and then had round robin interviews.

Interview Question – None of the questions were too difficult. Use 3 words to describe yourself was one of the questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I haven't declined or accepted yet. I have also not tried to negotiate yet.

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction in March 2014.

Interview Details – Make sure you show the you have a passion for building, construction and do not mind getting dirty. Dinner and Bocci Ball with all the Candidates then they get you a hotel room. Next day you interview with about 7 different people all separately.

Interview Question – What is the funnest thing you have ever done?   View Answer

Field/Office Engineer Interview

Field/Office Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

Interview Details – Phone interview will be short and ask what you know about the company and how you heard of the company. If they decide to fly you to the district office for an interview, you will be interviewed by about 10 people ranging from entry level up to operations managers. They are looking for leaders and not so much technical experience. Most new hires are fresh college grads. It's hard to teach the Hensel Phelps Way to people in the industry. Then they sit in a room with pictures of the interviewees and decide together who to hire.

Interview Question – None. The interview was easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I recommend against negotiating unless it is a very strong employees market. I have heard comments by upper management that indicate this.

Field Engineer

I applied in-person and interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

Interview Details – I sat in front of a superintendent and an estimator. There interview was very straight forward and comfortable. They really just reviewed my resume with me. The big key with these guys is to display that you are willing to pick up and move wherever they need you.

Interview Question – There were no curve balls   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, everyone starts out with the same offer

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction in November 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process took about a week. I went in and met several managers, a week later I received a formal offer.

Interview Question – Where will you be in 10 years?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction

Interview Details – The interviewer was not a HR person but a Operation Manager, which made it easier for me. Since he ask specific career related questions and less behavioral questions. My interview was at a job fair. I did not fill out an application. I just gave them my resume and they scheduled me for an interview the next day. The interview went well and I got a job offer the next monday. From what I heard they like to hire new college graduate and they have an internship program that develops their potential entry level employees.

Interview Question – what value did your parent teach you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much of a negotiation, I tried to negotiate the salary but i was told is just a base salary that I will receive additional compensation based on cost of living if needed.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

Interview Details – I interviewed with them and I clicked immediately with the recruiters, so I received an on the spot interview. The interview wasn't difficult because I had a background in many of the things they were asking me to be detailed about. I would say the interview wasn't a difficult one.

Interview Question – What sets you apart?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

Interview Details – Recruited at school Fall Career Fair and was called back for an interview the next day. I had two interviewers who were not too tough but not easy either. They really focused on getting to know me as an individual first and then further investigated my skill set and experiences in industry thus far. I got a call back in 3 days or so saying I had gotten the job!

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself. What do you like to do ?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction in October 2012.

Interview Details – 1st round- Interview with a local project engineer and a field engineer. General interview questions; why construction, why Hensel Phelps?

2nd round-Group interview at district headquarters. Interviewed by 6 different employees for about 15-20 minutes each. Questions differed depending on who was giving the interview.

Interview Question – Name a time that you failed a task.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Phone call by local project engineer then a formal email with contract.

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

Interview Details – Effective interview process. Highly detailed and open about salary/benefits etc. There was about 15 of us in a round robin style interview. Interviewed with all kinds of managers and the Vice President. Took us out to eat afterwards and met even more employees. They really sold Hensel Phelps to me!

Interview Question – What was one thing you failed at in your last position (for me an internship)?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hensel Phelps Construction

Worked for Hensel Phelps Construction? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hensel Phelps Construction interview questions and advice. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hensel Phelps Construction employees and interview candidates.