Hensel Phelps Construction Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2015

2.6

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

Interview

recruted me at my school for an internship. I had two internships with the company. those who have interned with the company do no have to have an interview. but those without internships will be flown to the district office for a in person interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction (Irvine, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I first applied online in January and received a rejection 2 weeks later. In March, Hensel Phelps was coming to my school to have an information session. I was contacted approx. 4 weeks later for a first round interview at their San Diego office. The interview consisted of 3 separate 15 minute interviews with Project Manager, Superintendent, and finally Operations Manager. Very straightforward. Hiring process was quick from then on. I was invited 2 days after the first interview for a second interview at the district headquarters in Irvine, CA. There was about 16 interviewees from different backgrounds. We were all given a schedule of what room to be in at what time and who our interviewers were. This stage consisted of another 3 separate interviews as well. It followed a "speed-dating" format. Received an offer a week later. Straightforward questions. Interview was very conversational and was more or less driven by how you frame your qualifications and what you want to highlight that would make you a more desirable candidate. They really wanted to make sure I was a good fit based on my personality, work ethic, and motivation. Advice: BE YOURSELF and have a genuine conversation.

Interview Questions

• You are the chief of police for a large metropolitan area. Your men has apprehended a man who has claimed he planted a bomb in a highly populated area in the city. You have one hour, what do you do? If you were to interrogate the terrorist, where would you draw the line?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable. Excellent compensation package as is.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction (Sacramento, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was working for another company on one of their sites. The Safety Director for the site called me into is his office and asked if I was interested at all in working for Hensel Phelps. I actually was looking around at the time and for what I saw of the site I was on with them HP was very organized. I sat and talked with the safety director about general departments of HP and their responsibilities. He told me if I truly was interested he had a place for me. I thought about it and safety was not where I saw myself heading and declined

Interview Questions

• Willingness to travel and relocate per project needs   1 Answer

position offered was not in direction I saw my career going

Construction Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction (Orlando, FL) in February 2015.

Interview

Amazing, Got to meet the head of different departments. I got a feeling that it was a really nice place to work. We rotated talking to the same person for about an hour each. I got to talk to the guy that does BIM as well.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how I got into Construction Management   1 Answer

Interview

Few rounds of interview. First interview shortly after the career fair. The second round of interview is at their office. The company flew interviewees out and took them on a site visit. The interview was a round robin interview with managers of various departments. Few weeks to hear back.

Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

Interview

The interviews were round robin style and I met with six or seven different individuals. The company responded within a few days after the interview process with an offer. The whole thing seemed a little more intense than it needed to be but I understand the desire to have multiple people review the same candidate.

VDC Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

Interview

We started with a site walk and then went to the district. I then had multiple interviews (3), with a project manager, operations manager, and hiring manager. Each interview was close to an hour long and it was a great q&A session. Each were very polite and respectful but detailed conversations about personality and skills.

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

Interview

Three interviews, including a dinner and round robin style interviews the next morning. Easy going people, very concerned with right fit versus skills you bring to the table. Fun interview process, don't get stressed out!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not flexible with their offer

Field Engineer/Office Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction (San Jose, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Their hiring interview was a positive experience. I was expecting to be asked more information about my current experience and details on related projects. I spoke to both hiring mangers at the same time and then I was interview on a one on one situation. It felt more of a personality fit and willingness to do the job type of interview.

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps Construction.

Interview

The interview was with five operation managers. The questions were unlike any other interview I have had in they past in the sense that they were not asked by HR personnel. All of the questions were field and experienced based. No trick or psychological questions here. Very smooth and went by quickly.