Herbert Smith

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Herbert Smith

Trainee Interview

i would recommend applying for a vacation scheme. the interview for this involved reading a document and then going through the materials with two partners. i had a good/bad cop situation. i kept answering the questions in a legalistic way but quickly realised they wanted you to think more of business relationship solutions not just suing whoever! the training contract interview after the vacation scheme was comparatively relaxed. the internship is basically a 2-week interview, so if you don't mess that up, you're in!

2-3 PQE Funds Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Herbert Smith in September 2011.

I applied for this role through a recruiter and it took approximately three weeks for an interview offer to come through.

The first interview was with one partner and a senior associate and was a very relaxed affair. We went through my CV in detail and I was expected to go into some detail on various examples of work that I had provided. There were some technical questions (such as what clauses are important in certain documents) but on the whole they appeared to want to get a detailed picture of my experiience. The interviewers were very friendly.

The second interview was much more daunting and was taken by two partners. I had received a prior warning that this would be more technical and it largely consisted of questions on aspects of law. I was expected to talk through transactions I had been involved in (and the reasons for the fund structure etc) and answer some scenario-type questions.

There were also some questions designed to test my research of the firm. For example, "what is the funds team's primary area of work" - answer = listed funds and alternatives.

the partners were nice but there was more of an 'edge' to this interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you include in a fund distribution agreement to protect the manager in respect of fees paid to the distributor?   View Answer

Lawyer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Herbert Smith in June 2008.

I was a student on their vacation scheme and then interviewed for a final offer as well.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed business/legal case study about setting up a petroleum refinery   Answer Question