KLA-Tencor
www.kla-tencor.com Milpitas, CA 5000+ Employees

KLA-Tencor Software Engineer Interview Question

I interviewed in Migdal Ha`Emeq (Israel) and was asked:
"Here I will refer only to the second interview because the first one was really trivial. 1) You have a plate with areas, some of them must be checked and the order of the check is given. Your maching has three operations: move to the cell, aquire the image, measure the image. How can you do it as efficiently as possible"
Add Tags [?]
Answer Flag Question

Part of a Software Engineer Interview Review - one of 146 KLA-Tencor Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

of 2
votes
I said that it seems classic producer-consumer problem and that move-aquire must be implemented as one thread and this thread is the producer, and the second thread or pull of threads are the measuring threads, the consumers.
I said that we need some round-buffer to keep all the jobs and each measuring thread will keep also its own local buffer with k jobs. All the partners that use the buffer must get a mutex lock for it, so there will be mutual exclusion and measuring thread lock the buffer and take k jobs at once, to reduce number of mutex invocations. Also I said that it is possible that producer makes jobs whe there is no memory, so I add semaphor isBufferFull that initially is set on n and one semaphor for measuring threads that initially is set on zero.

Here are the pseudocodes I wrote:
semafor isBufferFull = n;
semafor isBufferEmpty = 0;

For Aquisition: For Measure:
forever do{ forever do{
mv.move(); isBufferEmpty.get(k);
Img im = aquire(); buffer.copy(myBuff, k);
isBufferFull.get(1); isBufferFull.release(k);
buffer.add(im); process(myBuff);
isBufferEmpty.release(1);
}
- Interview Candidate on Jan 11, 2010 Flag Response

To comment on this question, Sign In with Facebook or Sign Up

KLA-Tencor – Why Work for Us?

KLA-Tencor Corporation is the world's leading supplier of process control and yield management solutions for the semiconductor and related microelectronics industries. We have been in business for over 30 years and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KLA-Tencor interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by KLA-Tencor employees and interview candidates.