Advisory Board

Employer Engaged

Interview Question

Business Analyst Interview Austin, TX

Here's the deal: You have to know SQL. By all accounts, and

according to people within the company, they are no longer hiring people who do not have previous SQL experience. If there is one thing that I can point to that probably cost me the offer, it is that I have not used SQL in a while, and it showed. Everyone with whom I interviewed asked SQL questions. They will give you a set of EMR (Electronic Medical Record) data (2 or 3 tables) and ask questions about how you the tables might be manipulated to provide information. So you not only need to know how to select certain data types and columns to provide insight in theory, but you also must know how to construct the correct select statement. Expect questions on inner/outer joins, unions, subqueries, aggreagtor functions including how to use sum and/or count with group by. If you don't have solid command of SQL and a good bit of fresh, current use, you are probably wasting your time. Yes, SQL is a rather small language in the DML context, and something that can be picked up rather easily, but probably not quickly and completely enough to impress in the interview. Bottom line: don't expect to fake it till' you make it.
Answer

Interview Answer

1 Answer

Hi ,
Thank you very much for your interview experience, I have my interview in 3 weeks from today so definitely helps. Is there a case interview too? What sort of cases are asked? Can you provide any examples?

Also can you provide examples of the SQL questions you were asked and the behavioral questions in individual and panel interviews.

ds on Feb 28, 2013

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.