Heritage Auctions

3 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Interview

Marketing

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Heritage Auctions.

Interview Details – HR was pretty quick to respond to my resume and within 1 1/2 weeks I had a phone interview. Three days later I had an in person interview and the next day an offer. There call back time was very good.

Interview Question – The assessment tests   Answer Question

Client Services Representative Interview

Client Services Representative
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Heritage Auctions in February 2013.

Interview Details – I received a very quick response after submitting my resume and cover letter. The corporate HR recruiter emailed me the next morning to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview took place that afternoon - it was about 10 minutes long and was very basic. And that is where simplicity ended in the Heritage Auctions interview process.

Upon successful completion of the phone interview, I received by email the two tests I describe in detail in the "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question" section right below. Those two tests took over two hours to complete. I was asked to complete them by the next day at the latest so Heritage could decide if they would invite me in for the initial in-person interview. I felt it was a lot of time to invest when I still didn't know what the office looked like, what vibe I would get from my first impression, and didn't have full details on what the job entailed other than the online description.

I finished the tests and returned them the same day. The recruiter contacted me the next morning to schedule my in-person interview with her. We scheduled it for the beginning of the next week. When I arrived for the in-person, I spent the first hour and a half doing more testing - a short 20 question IQ quiz that was timed and that did not have any complex math on it. Then there was a writing sample test and a few tests to check accuracy and reasoning skills. After completing those, I had a twenty minute interview with the recruiter (she is fantastic, by the way), that was basically an extended version of the phone interview. Standard resume and past experience questions and a few more details about the Client Services position.

At the conclusion of the interview, she scheduled a second in-person interview with the supervisor of Client Services for the middle of the following week. That was a more in-depth interview but the questions were still very standard and typical. I was given a good impression of the full scope of duties associated with the job. As the second interview was winding down, I was expecting to be told that they would be in touch to let me know if I had the job. Instead, they said they'd be in touch to let me know if they would progress onto the third and final interview.

I was contacted the next day to schedule the third interview with the head of the Auction department, which wasn't able to be scheduled for another week and a half due to her availability. Then, I was called two days before the interview date and it was rescheduled for the beginning of the next week because she was out of the office. When I finally had that interview, it was almost a carbon copy of the second in-person interview. No new questions were really asked - it was still all very standard, top 10 interview type questions.

I was offered the job the next day but my start date wasn't for another three weeks. In my opinion, it was a needlessly complicated process that took entirely too long and was extremely inefficient and excessive for an entry-level position paying $14.00 an hour.

Interview Question – After the initial phone interview, the corporate HR recruiter sent me a 75 question behavioral/personality survey and a 200 question test somewhat similar to an IQ test. I was asked to return both by the next day and informed that the 200 question test alone would take approximately an hour and a half.

The behavioral/personality survey was very standard, posing different situations, ranking them from 1 to 5. But the 200 question test? All I can say is thank goodness I was at home and had access to online algebraic calculators and whatnot or I would have been doomed.

Rather than being arranged in the typical style of an IQ test, this one was divided into sections: Spelling, Vocabulary, Grammar, Math, and Logic. Each section started off with super easy, very basic questions, such a 2+2 and progressed to extremely complex algebra and geometry that went way beyond anything I'd come across, even in college. All questions were multiple choice, by the way.

I am definitely a spelling, vocabulary and grammar person, so I was confident in my ability to answer the majority of the questions in those sections, even though they also progressed to quite a complex level. But math is not my thing at all. I barely scraped by in high school and college algebra. In the 20 plus years that I've been out of school, I have never once needed to know anything about the Pythagorean or any other theorem or equation or fraction-solving formula. But to pass that test, I needed to know those kinds of things for some of the questions. I just copied and pasted the whole equation into an online algebra calculator, hit enter, and had my answer.

I really felt like the 200 question test was excessive after only having a phone interview and not even knowing if I would be invited for the first in-person interview until I completed the test and scored a passing grade.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was told the starting rate right up front during the phone interview and once again during my first in-person interview with the recruiter. She was very proactive about disclosing the starting rate and making sure I wanted to proceed, as I was overqualified from my past experience.

Marketing Account Executive Interview

Marketing Account Executive
Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Heritage Auctions in October 2012.

Interview Details – A corporate recruiter called me about a career opportunity with Heritage Auctions, after advising the recruiter I am interested in pursuing a career with the company I was asked to complete a 2 hour personality assessment and application.

The tests consist of personality questions, math, problem solving and word definitions. Once you pass the personality assessment they will contact you for a face interview. The face interview was scheduled 3 days later. When I arrived I was informed the 1st face interview consist of 3 more test lasting 1.5 hours including math, number matching and writing a paragraph. Once you complete the test you than speak with the recruiter about your past experience and career path.

After the 2nd test you must go back for 1-2 additional interviews.

Interview Question – A total for 4 tests are given prior to completing your 1st department interview.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Heritage Auctions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Heritage Auctions interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Heritage Auctions employees and interview candidates.