Heritage Foundation Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2015

2.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at Heritage Foundation

Research Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Heritage Foundation.

Interview

Was contacted for one phone interview. Asked very basic questions about my research experience, preferred sources for research, and my background. It was really pleasant to speak with the staff member over the phone. I just talked about my life/professional experiences, there were not too many difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• What sources do you most commonly look to for research?   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Heritage Foundation (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was not locally based, so I had an initial phone interview with the position's supervisor of about 30 minutes, a secondary vetting interview with HR representative of about 45 minutes, and was then flown in for a 30-minute face-to-face interview with the department director.

It took a substantial amount of time (several weeks to get an offer), and the reasoning for the delay was not apparent.

Interview Questions

• How does this job help you achieve your long-term professional goal?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Heritage Foundation (Washington, DC).

Interview

Received an email asking for an interview. Met with HR guy. Extremely awkward interviewer who had a long list of questions, but never actually seemed to write anything down. Gave me the expected timeline going forward, including next interview, etc. He was very nice, the questions were not particularly difficult, but I have never had an interview with someone quite so awkward. Never met anyone else in the organization, so my only experience was HR, which didn't really let me get a feeling of whether I was in for a bunch of awkward folks or just him.

Fundraising Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Heritage Foundation (Washington, DC) in March 2010.

Interview

Phone interviews with interest and skills questions. Standard stuff. In person interviews with all relevant staff...a couple random SBOs but nothing unusual. Heritage seems like a great place to work if you agree with their perspectives. I enjoyed my interview with their staff (peers, supervisor, and department head) and was treated kindly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Heritage?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Heritage Foundation (Washington, DC) in February 2010.

Interview

Basically my interviewer wanted to know that I was a supporter of the conservative movement. Once I was able to regurgitate a few quotes and examples from history I was more or less "in". If you are qualified they will take you. Very strong internship program!

Interview Questions

• How do you plan on helping the conservative movement?   Answer Question
    • Who, in your mind, personifies the conservative movement and why?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

I don't think I have ever had a worse or more insulting interview process. I was contacted by the Heritage Foundation about interviewing for an internship position while I was out of the country. I explained that I was not in America at the moment, but would be very happy to either do the interview when I returned in a few days or to do a Skype or FaceTime interview. The interviewer asked if I would be available to skype the next day, and I said I was. I asked if 10 am would work, and after receiving no response, assumed that their silence was agreement to the interview time. I logged into Skype the next day 5 minutes before the time, and emailed that I was ready to begin whenever was most convenient. After waiting for 20 minutes, I received an email stating that they would have to postpone the interview. I responded telling them that it was no problem, and asked when would work better for them. My next contact with them was receiving an email thanking them for my application, but informing me that they had just filled the position that morning. I was very taken aback, as I felt they at least owed me the decency to interview with them, after leaving me waiting for 20 minutes and then being the ones to cancel/postpone the interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Heritage Foundation in March 2010.

Interview

Standard interview over the phone.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Heritage Foundation in June 2009.

Interview

Applied online. Received phone call for interview. Accepted after 15 min phone interview

Interview Questions

• What is your previos experience   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much to negotiate as an intern