Hertz

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.4

Branch Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hertz.

First phone interview was fairly simple. Asked questions about my highest level of education obtained, last job experience. This initial stage was more like the HR staff informing how one individual through the "Trainee" program can exceed to become a Branch Manager.
    The title stages to become the Branch Manager were:
    1. Branch Manger Trainee
    2. Management Associate
    3. Assistant Manager
    4. Branch Manager

In order to progress from each stage, you must pass a verbal and written exam and meet sales expectations. Upon becoming the Assistant Manager, the individual may apply for a Branch Manager position if available. From that perspective, I think the Job Title should be called "Assistant Manager" position.

After the first phone interview, the HR staff you spoke to forwards your application to a Hertz Manager in your local area to see if scheduling for person-to-person interview.

Branch Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hertz.

I made sure to fill out the application AND cover letter thoroughly. I was contacted by corporate (Hertz corp) human resources woman who had me on the phone for a good 30 minutes or so. She asked me questions and then broke down the pay scale, benefits, and room for advancement. She also told me she went through the training program herself and after becoming a branch manager she had the ability to shift into different routes and decided to go into corporate and into HR making "pretty good money". I then received e-mails and had to take a personality as well as an IQ test (analogy, math, etc) it as timed and you must do well on them. I passed. She then set me up (within 3 days) to interview with a area manager (1 up above a branch manager) ... I went in for the interview which was straight forward, no strange or hard questions. I went in confident and spoke to him as I would sit and try to speak to a friend or family member, however I kept it very professional. I also wore a suit with a tie and brought resumes and showed up 15 minutes early. Needless to say I was told within a week I would hear back and within a week I received a call and a e-mail asking if I was still interested in the position. I returned the e-mail and the call and said I was, and within 24 hours I was told I landed the position as long as I passed the credit check, drivers license record, background check, drug test, employment, and everything else under the sun. I am waiting to hear back from them all (5-7 days again) and then I will have to give my current employer my 2 weeks notice in order to start for hertz. Just a heads up, if you do get an offer, you have 24 hours exactly to take a drug test or they will retract their offer. Starting pay for myself will be 12.50/hr + comm + bonus which will increase in 3 months to 15/hr + higher comm + higher bonus. Between 8 months-1.5 years it again goes up to salary - 40k + comm + bonus + free company car + free gas + free insurance. 4 weeks vacation, dental, vision, medical, life ins, 401k etc. From what I read I hear that commission depending on location is 5-7k and bonus is 1-3k. so salary will be around 50-55k before taxes... But factor in a free company car, free gas, and free insurance and it doesn't seem too bad. Also places have different hours, my location is a mon-fri 8-5 with a saturday half day (9-1) however I believe as a manager you work the occasional saturday or 2 saturdays a month. I hope this helps anyone who is considering the job. BTW, at the 6 month mark (where you will become an assistant manager) salary is between 30-34k, commission and bonus will increase that to what I am reading to be 43-47k before taxes. Not TOO bad considering at 12-16 months total salary will increase to what I said above (around 50-55k, car, gas, ins, etc) Good luck everyone. I will update in the future with how I like the job and the pay scale, hours, etc. Oh one last thing. Everyone keeps saying long long long hours. Well, you DO GET TIME AND A HALF. I will gladly work over time to make time and a half.

Interview Questions
    • I came into a store and wanted to buy a womans purse, sell me a purse while I talk on my cell phone and give you an attitude like I am not interested in what you have to say, yet have absolutely no idea what I want to buy or what is best for me.   View Answer
    No negation. Was told prior what the pay would be, so I knew already. If it is not specified, ASK. 1-3 months $12.50/hr + comm + bonus ... after 3 months 15hr + higher comm + higher bonus ... after 6-8 months (assistant manager) 30k + higher comm + higher bonus (around 43-47k before taxes) ... 8-1.5 years (branch manager) 40k + higher comm + higher bonus - 47-55k (before taxes) + free car, free gas, free insurance. 60 days to receive full benefits. 4 weeks vaca, dental, vision, medical, life insurance, 401k, paid sick, paid personal days.

Sales and Operations Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, NC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hertz in February 2015.

I applied for the position online. After about 3 months, I was contacted by a recruiter and had a short interview to verify my work history and job history. This interview lasted about 10 minutes. The recruiter set me up for a face-to-face interview with the branch and district managers for the following week. I showed up to the face-to-face interview 10 minutes early, dressed in a suit with resume in hand. I interviewed with the managers for about an hour. We went over my job and education history and they asked me some situational questions. The interview itself was laid back, but very thorough. I was told that they had a few more candidates to interview and that I would hear back in a week or so. The following week I was contacted by the recruiter and was offered the position with the conditions that I passed my background check and drug test. One week later, I was sent an email with the official offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to deal with an irate customer? How did you deal with them?
      Why are you interested in working for Hertz?

Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hertz in February 2015.

I was contacted, by email, 2 to 3 weeks after submitting my application for the position. A phone interview with the recruiter was scheduled within the next couple days.

At the conclusion of the short phone interview the recruiter asked for availability for an in-person interview with the hiring manager. Within a couple days I was granted an interview for the following week.

Two days after the in-person interview I was given an offer for more than my asking salary. I was happy with the experience, in total 2 weeks from 1st contact to interview and receive an offer.

I should note that I applied for multiple positions of similar weight. One of which I had a recruiter interview that went as well and was told I would have an in-person interview within 2 weeks. I never heard back and was not able to get a hold of that recruiter again. So I would say my speedy experience above is likely not typical.

Interview Questions
    • "Casual" interview style. They asked questions referencing my experience and how it would apply to the position they were offering. Also some questions on how well I work with others.   Answer Question

Counter Sales Representative Interview

2 interviews really laid back and easy going. Was not intimidating and great employess and managers. Both interviews done within one week and had an offer by the following Monday. Recruited was also very helpful and kept me informed of what was going on and how everything was going to happen

Interview Questions
    Was not able to negotiate.

Hertz Customer Service Representative Interview

Easy,no tricky questions,3 interviews ,the last one with the on site manager,she is really nice,they wanna make sure you like to work based on commision and that you are a hard seller.takes about 3 weeks until you get hired since they have to do the background check and being understaffed takes a while even though they really need people

No negotiation

Lot Attendant Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Hertz.

Very easy- no problem. I was asked to show up and I did at a certain time. the questions were not hard or strange. the person that was giving the interview was nice and very good. I did not take the job because a couple of days later my old boss had called me and I went back to work with that company.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hertz.

You apply online and someone from the corporate office calls and does a quick phone interview. After that you're offered a face to face interview and that was basically just to learn more about me. They had already decided to hire me from how it felt.

Interview Questions
    • They ask the basic interview questions. Describe yourself. Give an example of.... and of course what are your strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation for salary.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hertz.

Well he told me the first interview would be short because it just to see if I can communicate well, if I showed up on time and if my appearance was professional. He said him or his recruiter will call if I get a call back. I don't think I did well because he told me how many candidates he has to interview.

Reservation Multi-skill Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online – interviewed at Hertz.

It took quite a while for a recruiter to give me a call back. I waited about 3 weeks for the training classes to start. It was 6 weeks paid training.

Interview Questions
    • They did a behavioral test by asking questions about situations in the past whether work related or personal. Such as what situations in the past have you dealt with involving a difficult situation and how did you handle it, what was the outcome, etc.   View Answer
    They told me what the base pay was and there was no negotiation.