Hertz

Getting the Interview

39 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hyannis, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Hertz in October 2008.

Interview Details – Just basic questions on what I've done. Then details on what the job would entail

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Baton Rouge, LA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hertz in May 2011.

Interview Details – Received an interview thru my university

Interview Question – Name three words to describe yourself   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – There was none just an hourly offer that was non negotiable.

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hertz in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online last Thursday, and on Friday, I received a call from a recruiter in New Jersey. We talked for a few minutes and he asked me some basic questions about my previous job experience. Then we scheduled an interview for Monday at a Manhattan location. Monday I had my interview at 1:30, but showed up a few minutes early. I was out of there by 1:38! The interview was not really an interview, but just an explanation of what the job was. I did some research on my interviewer and learned that she's a college student, so probably around my age. This was why she was so laid back and easy going.

I was told that I would be getting a call back. I didn't think I would. So on Wednesday, I sent an email to the recruiter asking how to send a thank you to the interviewer, and by the time my next class started, I was offered the job!

I drug tested the same day! Easiest process ever.

McKinney, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Hertz in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was called about the job by an HR rep, told about the position and scheduled a 1 on 2 interview the next week with branch and regional manager. I went to the interview and they asked a little about customer service and a little about sales but mainly the described the job to me and what I would be doing and what they pay was: $10.50 an hour with 10-15 OT hours a week. Not great but I'll take it for now. And they asked if I was ok with washing cars in formal attire and blah blah blah. I feel like I answered all their questions very well and made a good impression and the regional manager said I would be hearing from them, and I took that as a good sign. They said they had 2 more people to interview in the next few days and said they would call either by the end of last week or beginning of this. It's Tuesday and I have received nothing. I sent a thank you email to them on Wednesday or Thursday, got no reply. I'm very disappointed as I feel I am beyond qualified for the job and that I did well in the interview.

Interview Question – How do you deal with difficult customers?   View Answers (2)

Antioch, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hertz in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call from a recruiter the next day. Had a brief phone interview regarding previous sales and customer service experience.(about 15 min). The recruiter then said a driver's license with a clean record was required so I was sent a link via email to fill out a form for a dmv check. The next day the recruiter called back to schedule interview with area manager. The area manager was very nice and professional. The interview consisted of scenario questions(about 3-4) and then I was told more about the position and what to expect. I was then offered a second interview on the spot with a person from HR. The second interview was more information about the company and the expectations they have for the person in a manager trainee position. I was then told that the two interviewers would make a decision and I should hear back from the recruiter within 3-5 business days. I received a call from the recruiter the next morning with an offer. I was then sent to the same website I submited my driver's license information to complete and agree to a background check which I was told should take about 3-5 business days. I also was sent to complete a drug test. Overall fairly easy and basic interview.

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a risky project that you were involved in?   View Answer
  • When was a time that required you to bend the rules to satisfy a customer? Who made the decision?   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work for Hertz?   View Answer
  • Why should we hire you? What do you have to offer the company?   View Answer
  • How comfortable are you with sales quotas? What experience do you have in sales and customer service? What do you consider good customer service?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no chance for negotiation it was a base pay and you either accept or not.

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Hertz in April 2011.

Interview Details – From application submission to initial contact with the recruiter, then scheduling the first interview, going through the interview, scheduling the second interview, going through the second interview took an excruciating seven weeks. Sweet jesus, how pathetically sluggish. If I had to do it again I would never have even bothered.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were pretty straight forward, 'Tell me about yourself, 'what are your experiences in sales?,' 'describe a difficult situation you've experienced in a customer service situation and how you solved it.' One question that I hadn't seen before was 'I have a group of 18 salesmen on my crew, how do you feel you'll rank among them if you worked here?'   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I STILL haven't received word about an offer but i'll update this post when I do. I wanted to make sure that I had the chance to warn any future applicant of the reality of the pace of the application process before they put forth the effort.

Lansing, MI

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hertz in March 2011.

Interview Details – The interview went well; pretty straightforward. It was almost more of an orientation than an interview...I was asked very few questions. The manager interviewed me, but he was also the only employee working so he had to keep going to the counter and assisting customers. He was quite honest about the position and made it very clear that this position would mostly be nights and weekends.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were forced to deal with an unhappy customer.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined the offer because it was only $10 an hour, and as I would have had to relocate, there was no way I could have relocated for such little pay.

Very Difficult Interview

Sacramento, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hertz in November 2010.

Interview Details – I made it pass the 1 interview but did not make it pass the 2nd interview. The reason why is because I lack sales experience so if you really want this job... get some sales experience. They will drill you over and over again with crazy questions. Thank goodness I didn't get this job... otherwise I'd be washing cars in a business suit.

Interview Questions

• What are your experiences in sales and business? In a situation where all your co workers and supervisors are busy and you have to deal with an angry customer, how will deal with them? Are you okay with washing cars in a business suit and ready to work at anytime?   Answer Question
  • Why should we hire you? What can you offer us? Are you a loyal and hard worker? How does your college majors relate to this position? How many friends do you have? Are you popular? Are you a leader or a follower?   Answer Question

Manager Trainee

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hertz.

Interview Details – I was contacted via email to applied for an opening for a manger trainee position. After doing so I had an interview set up. The interview was a shadow interview. I sat behind the desk and basically just watched what a manager trainee does.

Interview Question – The question that caught me was 3 adjectives that described myself. I went blank. Also, during the shadow interview I was confused on what I should be doing.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Manager Trainee

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Hertz.

Interview Details – Apply online.
Recruiter calls, makes the job sound awesome, sets up interview.
Apparently there's supposed to be two interviews, but I only did one. Took an hour, basic interview questions, told me the recruiter would call in two or three days.
Recruiter called a half hour later to offer me the job, contingent on an immediate drug test.

The guy I interviewed with is gone now though. The new area manager likes to see enthusiasm.

Interview Question – I don't know what he asks.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. You get what they pay.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hertz