Hess Corporation

44 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hess Corporation in September 2011.

Interview Details – Two hour long interview, half an hour each with HR, a manager, and two others from the group. The next day I was asked to do a phone interview with the head supervisor. I was told that I would have an answer within 2-3 weeks and got an offer 1 week later. Seemed to me a wonderful company to be a part of. Everyone I interviewed with was very excited to work there and went into very detailed descriptions about the company, the actual group, and the job description. Everyone tried their best to make me feel at ease and were very friendly.

Interview Question – Most of the questions I was asked involved my prior experience at other oil and gas companies. Other than that I was asked questions about how I deal with certain situations like deadlines and little supervision.   Answer Question

Gas Attendant Interview

Binghamton, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hess Corporation in September 2011.

Interview Details – The people when they interviewed me just seemed to not be ready. The general manager was training someone else to do the interviews so i was a test. They were asking me all sorts of behavioral questions which i answered right away. When completed i was told i would get a call back the following week, and after 2 0r 3 i just gave up and let it go. The number they have for the store is restricted so i could not reach them and was not going to just go into the store and ask. Oh well, i found a new job the next week and am very happy.

Interview Question – Name a time you failed, and the result   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Hess Corporation in November 2009.

Interview Details – behavior questions

Land Negotiator Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Hess Corporation in July 2010.

Interview Details – I took a full day of work off for the highly anticipated interview. I was scheduled to interview with 5 separate people. Only 3 people showed up for their scheduled time slot. I was left sitting in an empty conference room for 20 minutes. Recruiter did not follow up and notified me after 4 weeks that the position was already filled.

Interview Question – Basic interview questions about the industry, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Hess Corporation in September 2010.

Interview Details – This was a typical interview where the company wanted to know more about the candidate and discuss everything in the candidate's resume thoroughly.

Intern Interview

Houston, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Hess Corporation in November 2009.

Interview Details – career fair on campus
on campus interview with 2 people
in office interview with 3 managers

Interview Question – interviewer kept persisting to give details on previous internship project   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

Position In Corporate Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Hess Corporation in February 2010.

Interview Details – Gained the interview through networking. Interview was rather straight-forward. Nothing too challenging. My reputation in the industry spoke for itself.

Interview Question – There were no specific questions that were difficult. I was just very honest about myself and what I could bring to their team. I already had a very strong reputation in the industry and was well liked. Those things worked in my advantage, but most people can also work to gain a good reputation via networking. Takes time, but so well worth it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Can never hurt to ask for more money. Often they will meet you in the middle as long as you are reasonable.

Very Easy Interview

Advisor Geology Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Hess Corporation in October 2009.

Interview Details – The interviewing manager was new to their position, highly educated but clearly out of their league for managing a team and making staffing decisions. The questions were focused on minor technical methods they like to use, and what areas I worked in the past. HR knew I was overqualified and perhaps it was a good exercise for them to get a read on their new manager as well as me. It was nice of Hess to do that. The position is still not filled! I am waiting for a mid-senior management position to open up at Hess as I like the people at Hess and the company's size and business methods.

Interview Question – nothing difficult or unexpected   View Answer

Natural Gas Ops Interview

Woodbridge, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hess Corporation in November 2009.

Interview Details – Impressive HR effort, quick communication. Very well-organized college recruiting day. Consisted of three 1:1 behavioral interviews and several informational sessions. The questions were standard for behavioral interviews. Overall, a it seems like most within the company are easy to get along with and are not out to drill anyone in an interview. One downside - HR promised a response within one week, and no response was given for three full weeks.

Supply Chain Interview

Houston, TX

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hess Corporation in November 2008.

Interview Details – 2 person panel for first round; interviewed with 3 managers for second round; also had a panel lunch discussion with several employees

Interview Question – All behavioral questions   View Answer