Hewlett-Packard

Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.9

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

I was asked to create a deck that summarized and make recommendations around the registration flow. Once that was reviewed I was brought in for 5-6 people to interview me in-person. It was the typical mix of Engineering and Product leads, ending with the VP of Product.

My interview with the VP was unceremoniously terminated the moment she established I had no degree. Apparently HP don't screen candidates very well and their exec staff aren't particularly well mannered.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Easy, friendly. They put me completely at ease which enabled me to think clearly, and answer accurately. This is one of the biggest flaws at most interviews, where the process becomes an inquisition. Not so here. It was more a conversational style.

Software Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied through their website (online form), and uploaded my resume. I received the call from HR after about two weeks, and they asked some questions about my background. afterwards, they asked for my availability for next weeks, and after several formal email I had my first technical phone interview about 50 minutes. Overally, my interview processes was included two phone interviews, in addition to the in site interview in Roseville, CA location. there were 3 interviewers including the hiring manager (plus lunch). I had the tour arround HP with all interviewers, they were from different departments, and they show me their laps.

Network TestAt HP Roseville Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Submitted my resume at job fair. Got a call about a month later for 30 minute phone interview. The interviewer was laid-back. Not a very difficult interview at all. Received an email a couple weeks later with offer. I think they are seeking "blank-slate" sorts of people so that they can train them specifically for the tasks they are doing.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral. Not very technical. They just asked if I know TCL or Python.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in November 2014.

I applied to this position as a new graduate (BS in computer science) few months before I got a call from a recruiter. She spoke to me and got inputs about my background and experience. Then I was called in to do a 2 hour coding test onsite at the Sunnyvale campus. You are left in a conference room alone with scratch paper and pens. There were 4 questions and it was all based on C and C++. A current software engineer will be administering the test by walking in every few mins to make sure everything is okay and to see if you have any questions. I took a picture of the test and I'm sharing the questions below.

Interview Questions
    • Merge two sorted lists. You can choose the structure in which they are represented, and briefly state in the comments. You may rely on the two lists being sorted at the start.   Answer Question
    • strncpy() is a function in the C standard library. Here is the description of it from the linux manual page:

char * strncpy (char * destination, const char * source, size_t num);

Copy characters from string
      Copies the first num characters of source to destination. If the end of the source C string (which is signalled by a null character) is found before num characters have been copied, destination is padded with zeroes until a total number of num characters have been written to it.

No null-character is implicitly appended at the end of the destination if source is longer than num. Thus, in this case, destination shall not be considered a null terminated C string (reading it as such would overflow).

destination and source shall *not* overlap (see memmove for a safer alternative when overlapping)

Return value: strncpy() function returns a pointer to the destination string dest.

IMPLEMENT IT.

Answer Question
    • Write an efficient function to return the number of days since the January 1st for the current year given the month (1-12) and day (1-31) as parameters (assume non leap year to keep it simple). Here's the function prototype:

int DaysInYear (int month, int day);

For example, DaysInYear (1,1) should return zero. April, June, September, and November has 30 days, February has 28 and the rest have 31 days.

Answer Question
    • The operating system typically allocates memory in pages such that the base address of the page are 0, 4K, 8K etc. Given two addresses (pointers), write a function to find if two pointers are on the same page. Here's the function prototype:

int AreOnSamePage (void * a, void * b);

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in November 2014.

Worst recruiting process experience in 20 years!

Recruiter reached out regarding several opportunities that I might be interested in. Discussed what with the recruitter what a best fit would be and what I was interested in. Then nothing. I followed up several times over the next few weeks.

After three months, a coordinator reached out with an urgent request to interview the following week. I confirmed the role they wanted to discussed. They scheduled and then rescheduled twice with an interview that took place two months laters.

At the interview, there were executives from three separate divisions. They all asked questions which were neither aligned to the opportunity discussed with the recruiter nor my experience.

No doubt I should have been suspicious with the delays, but how could both HR and Executives agree to use their time to interview for an executive position with someone whose experience does not align with the role they are looking for.

No wonder why HP continues to flounder!

Interview Questions
    • What do you think HP need's to do to improve?   Answer Question
    • Other questions were technical in nature and specific to the role: how would you go about .... with follow on questions to delve deeper into a topic   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in November 2014.

On Campus interview after I submitted my cv at the job fair. I was asked to appear for the interview the very next day. I was asked one technical question and other questions were about my past work.
    I talked about my masters thesis. I also talked about the past projects I had done when I worked for different companies. Some questions were asked about that work too. Like what is the goal of your thesis.

Interview Questions
    • Given a string find the count of all the characters in the string.
      Given a file with comma separated values how will you read the data.

IT Developer/Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

College Hire process was excellent. The person came to the campus and was very professional providing information about HP and the jobs they were hiring for. After that a recruiter picked up my resume and I was called in for 2 other interviews for 2 different opportunities. Both were all day interviews taking me to lunch and the first one I did not get hired but was hired for the 2nd opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • It's been so long ago I don't remember the questions that was asked.   Answer Question

Graduate Signal Integrity Summer/Fremont, CA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Two rounds of phone interview. The manager called me and asked a few basic questions. It seems that they want to hire someone who can work for them for 4-6 months because the they want the intern participate in the entire process of the project.

Senior Functional Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Just had a skype and phone interview with HP.Everything went well as the questions were related to QA,Previous job related and how would me experience fit in their project.Hoping to hear positive response.It is a 6month contract.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult.Everything related to previous work,SQL,and how previous experience matches their current project tasks.   Answer Question