Hewlett-Packard

1 Interview Review

4.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Finance Programs Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in December 2011.

This was an interview for an internal position, open only to current employees. Consisted of five 30 minute phone calls, each with 6-10 questions. The focus was to understand my background (qualify me), gauge my interest (would I accept), transition time considerations and job expectations.

In every case the call started 2-10 minutes late, one of them was rescheduled 3 times
In every case the interviews ran long into the next time
In every case the interviewer used up all but the last minute or two
In every case I was forced to type out my questions to get feedback because additional time later was not available.
The hiring manager told me I made the short list to be one of two candidates but once he decided, I did not get a phone call with the bad news, instead he sent me a late night 'bad news' email. That one still stings a little.

Sample Questions:

1) Have you ever been asked to do anything by a manager you know to be an incorrect approach (not illegal) and what did you do about it?

2) When you are asked to complete a task in what you know is an impossible timeline, what do you do?

3) Describe your personal style for getting your work done and is that style different when collaborating, why?

4) What was your greatest disappointment at HP and how did you deal with it?

5) How quickly can you cut the ties to your current job and start this job if you are selected.

6) Would you consider moving yourself to Houston to make yourself a better internal candidate?

If internal candidates experience this kind of treatment, this total lack of calendar integrity or consideration for the candidate, I can only imagine how new hire candidates must view this company.

Interview Questions
  • Why haven't you paid your own way to move to Houston to be a more competitive internal job seeker?   View Answer
  • Do you have a problem with a standing Sunday night conference call. The APJ team uses their Monday morning staff to kick off the week and we need to be there.   View Answer