Hewlett-Packard

3.1

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Americas Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in January 2014.

4 different interviews with 3 different people. Overall process exceeded 90 days.

Interview Questions
    • What career steps have best prepared you for this position?   Answer Question
    No real negotiation. Offer was very fair for job requirements.

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in August 2013.

Initially apply on company website, then got phone screen.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Recruiting team (from HR) makes the initial contact. Sometimes the candidate's information is given directly to the hiring manager. The hiring manager or a member of the technical recruiting team might do a phone screen to see if the candidate qualifies for an on-site interview. Normally the phone screen lasts about 1 hour, and will ask the candidate to solve problems pertaining to the job (physical design, verification, validation, etc.) also, some basic electrical engineering concepts will be asked at this point. If the phone screen person perceives the candidate has performed well during the phone screen, the candidate will be invited to an on-site interview with a team. This interview normally takes the whole day with 5 or 6 1-hour interviews. Each interview will address 2 to 6 technical questions in the areas of Basic Electrical Engineering concepts, physical design/functional design/verification, Computer Engineering, Design for Test, Validation. Lunch hour with the interview team will be part of the day and if the interview process has gone well, the candidate might also interview with or meet someone from upper management, at which point management looks for leadership, drive, self-motivation, etc. qualities in a candidate. The team then reviews their impressions and either recommend or not the candidate for a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the Basic Electrical Engineering questions are the most difficult during the process because they tend to have a "trick", something that will make you think past just knowing Ohms Law or the circuit in question. Often there is a variable that makes the problem different that it appears at first look. They want to know how observant you are about these details, and how you can drive to a solution. Even if your answer is wrong (it often is) they are testing for your thought process.   Answer Question

Software Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Applied for specific opening through central HR system. HP uses Taleo's horrible web hosting for that. See jobs.hp.com.

Interested manager called for phone screen. There may have been 2 calls, cannot remember for sure. Invited me to on-site interview. Note: in prior years, I had also worked for HP and been involved in interviewing. Back then, it was often left to an experienced engineer to take on the job of all phone screenings, and then a hiring manager might pick from the pool of those who passed that stage, in order to invite someone in for an interview.

My interview this time was not nearly as challenging or difficult as the interviews I had given when I had worked for HP previously. Similar format, though. Several different people within a broader team would each take a turn at a sub-interview asking questions intended to discern whether I could do the job with respect to some general aspect of skills, such as understanding or being able to reason about deployment issues at an architectural level, having basic problem-solving skills toward algorithm generation, and so on. A different team member hosted me for lunch at the local cafeteria in order to allow me to ask questions without any concerns about how it might affect the outcome (this person would not be involved in the final decision). Frankly, I was a bit disappointed that the interview was not more rigorous, though at the same time, I was relieved. Perhaps it was the strength of my background/resume, my former employment in an equivalent position with the company, or something like that; or maybe this particular team so rarely had the opportunity to hire anyone that they were just out of practice at interviewing candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Work out an algorithm for printing out the individual characters to show the decimal representation of an arbitrary integer.   View Answer
    I didn't attempt any negotiation. The offered salary was more than I expected.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in August 2012.

I was initially contacted by a hiring manager via eMail. The next step was a 30 minute technical screening. I was then contacted by another hiring manager to set up a 4 hour technical interview. The Technical interview was divided into four 1-hour sections each on different technical aspects.

Interview Questions
    • Now that you've heard about the job and position, what would you change about the position.   View Answer

I accepted another position with a company that is a much better fit. This division of HP seemed very task oriented and rigid.

Software Development Engineer V Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in July 2012.

Hiring process was cumbersome. There's an onerous background-check, no face-to-face interaction with HR. You have to negotiate very aggressively as the the company is very mercenary in its negotiations. HP will not attract top talent in its current state.

Interview Questions
    • None. Be sure to ask which projects you're being hired for and read up on them. Understand the relevant technologies.   Answer Question
    Cutthroat

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in June 2011.

There were two initial phone interviews. Next I had a panel interview with around six people. They each took turns asking specific questions about past experiences and how I would handle specific situitions. Next I was called to discuss my expectations for compensation. The offer came a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you didn't agree with your manager. What did you do?   Answer Question
    Being honest and open can really help and speed up the negotiations

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in December 2010.

Interview was 1 hr long. Asked Q's on networking, testing, C. They need guys with good programming skills

Interview Questions
    • write a C program to check a string is palindrome or not   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in June 2010.

I was called by a recruiter about a contract position. During the first --and only-- interview day, I met with three people: the hiring manager, a person at that team, the director of a stakeholder team. That evening, I received a call from the recruiter with a job offer. I accepted. After five months in that role, I applied for a job as a regular HP employee. That hiring process took approximately four weeks. The hiring manager set up interviews with several people inside and outside our team. These interviews were complete within a week. Then I waited for three weeks and was told that the hiring process is slow. Eventually, I was hired full time. Although I took a cut in base salary, I received health care, 401(k) matching, free access to the fitness center and opportunities for salary increases, annual performance bonuses and stock.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a search optimization plan for telecommunications service.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I was told what the annual salary would be. Knowing that it was going to be a short-term pay cut, my manager also provided a signing bonus and told me, sincerely, that this is the best he could do as a start. He said, if I continued to perform as I had, he'd see to a salary increase.

Software Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in November 2009.

Met a manager at an HP event on a college campus. Connected really well with him, and sensed that he was really looking for top talent, and willing to pay for it. Did an on site tour, and was impressed with the size of the campus. Did a 4 hour interview a few weeks later, split into 4 one hour interviews. Two with developers, two with management. Technical interviewers weren't very engaging, and didn't really dig very deep to find out much about my potential and how much I really knew. Management interviews were much more engaging.

Interview Questions
    • Some vague questions about Java web server containers. Other questions about beans, servlets, etc.   View Answers (3)
    • A logical math problem involving a rowboat, a lake, and a lion that can go 3x as fast as the boat. The question was whether or not I could make it to the shore.   View Answers (2)
    It helps if you have another offer on the table, but I wouldn't try to be too obvious in using it for leverage. They'll offer what they think you're worth, and if that's not enough, then it's not the place for you.