Hewlett-Packard

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied online and interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – Applied online for this position. I was called and went through two phone interviews prior to being contacted by an HP HR person to schedule a face-to-face interview. At that time, I did not realize the interview would be conducted at a "Career" day at the local university. I accepted and attended the interview; however, it was a very unstructured event. The two nice gentlemen who interviewed me had no idea what position I had applied for or had been scheduled to interview for a specific position. They were very thorough on general topics and very willing to share information and experiences about HP and the employment process.

Interview Question – Asked general personality/skills questions. Nothing specific.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Hewlett-Packard

Interview Details – I work in china hp before.

Interview Question – I don't know how to provide the information. china is different with us when interview.   Answer Question

Boise, ID

I applied online and interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – 4-5 people interview. Basic level to advance topics in the field. Try to show that you can solve by working in team environment. Some folks have subject matter from fundamental level.

Interview Question – Social Questions. Working in team environment.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Long time back with there was not much job around.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fort Collins, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – Recruiting team (from HR) makes the initial contact. Sometimes the candidate's information is given directly to the hiring manager. The hiring manager or a member of the technical recruiting team might do a phone screen to see if the candidate qualifies for an on-site interview. Normally the phone screen lasts about 1 hour, and will ask the candidate to solve problems pertaining to the job (physical design, verification, validation, etc.) also, some basic electrical engineering concepts will be asked at this point. If the phone screen person perceives the candidate has performed well during the phone screen, the candidate will be invited to an on-site interview with a team. This interview normally takes the whole day with 5 or 6 1-hour interviews. Each interview will address 2 to 6 technical questions in the areas of Basic Electrical Engineering concepts, physical design/functional design/verification, Computer Engineering, Design for Test, Validation. Lunch hour with the interview team will be part of the day and if the interview process has gone well, the candidate might also interview with or meet someone from upper management, at which point management looks for leadership, drive, self-motivation, etc. qualities in a candidate. The team then reviews their impressions and either recommend or not the candidate for a job offer.

Interview Question – Some of the Basic Electrical Engineering questions are the most difficult during the process because they tend to have a "trick", something that will make you think past just knowing Ohms Law or the circuit in question. Often there is a variable that makes the problem different that it appears at first look. They want to know how observant you are about these details, and how you can drive to a solution. Even if your answer is wrong (it often is) they are testing for your thought process.   Answer Question

Irving, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in May 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview- Basic thought process questions and a few broad technical questions. Mainly interested to see how you think.

Interview Question – Tell me what happens when you click a button on your mouse. (hardware switches, data flow, software interpretation, etc.   Answer Question

Roseville, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in March 2012.

Interview Details – Questions on resume.
Can you explain me your project?
What's inside computer? Questions on PCI, Signal Integrity.
BIOS questions.
Diff between BJT and FET.
Questions on PCB design

Interview Question – Question on resume.   Answer Question

Roseville, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online through the website and got a call back within 1-2 weeks. After the initial screening, I was set up with a technical interview that was around 45 minutes long. There was a lot of questions regarding my past projects as well as material I learned in my coursework. Although the position was entry level, it felt like the constant barrage of questions required a more seasoned engineer or at least someone with some internship experience. Everything on your resume is fair game, so make sure you know the ins and outs of each thing you put on there. The interviewer will dig like there's no tomorrow...

Interview Question – What is the chipset of the motherboard in your computer that you're using?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was for an entry level new graduate position in digital hardware design. Previous to the interview I had been told there would be a technical evaluation and I should have a pen and paper.

The first 30 minutes were a basic personality test and the last hour and a half was technical. I was asked 5 technical questions, 3 regarding digital design (designing a flip flop, microprocessor architecture, etc) and 2 with analog design (op amp assumptions, op amp transfer functions, RC transfer functions).

Having interviewed at other places with 'technical' interviews I was not quite ready for this one. Review and make clear the fundamentals that you learned freshman/sophomore year and you'll do fine. Sad I didn't prepare properly :(

Interview Questions

Heredia (Costa Rica)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2011.

Interview Details – Three interviews. The first was human resources, was a soft interview. Second interview was by phone and was technical about Linux, C++ and some soft skills, 30-60 min long. The third interview had 3 fases, the first with the manager and HR (soft skills), second about electrical engineering knowledge (mainly ASIC) and the third about programming and logic, the questions was mainly related to C++.

Interview Question – About pointer and references in C++. Very detailed questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They showed me the salary and I accept it

Hardware Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2010.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interview

Interview Question – High Speed design questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!