Hewlett-Packard Hardware Engineer Interview Questions

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied online for this position. I was called and went through two phone interviews prior to being contacted by an HP HR person to schedule a face-to-face interview. At that time, I did not realize the interview would be conducted at a "Career" day at the local university. I accepted and attended the interview; however, it was a very unstructured event. The two nice gentlemen who interviewed me had no idea what position I had applied for or had been scheduled to interview for a specific position. They were very thorough on general topics and very willing to share information and experiences about HP and the employment process.

Interview Questions

• Asked general personality/skills questions. Nothing specific.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Hardware Engineer Interview

Interview

I work in china hp before.

Interview Questions

• I don't know how to provide the information. china is different with us when interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Fort Collins, CO).

Interview

Recruiting team (from HR) makes the initial contact. Sometimes the candidate's information is given directly to the hiring manager. The hiring manager or a member of the technical recruiting team might do a phone screen to see if the candidate qualifies for an on-site interview. Normally the phone screen lasts about 1 hour, and will ask the candidate to solve problems pertaining to the job (physical design, verification, validation, etc.) also, some basic electrical engineering concepts will be asked at this point. If the phone screen person perceives the candidate has performed well during the phone screen, the candidate will be invited to an on-site interview with a team. This interview normally takes the whole day with 5 or 6 1-hour interviews. Each interview will address 2 to 6 technical questions in the areas of Basic Electrical Engineering concepts, physical design/functional design/verification, Computer Engineering, Design for Test, Validation. Lunch hour with the interview team will be part of the day and if the interview process has gone well, the candidate might also interview with or meet someone from upper management, at which point management looks for leadership, drive, self-motivation, etc. qualities in a candidate. The team then reviews their impressions and either recommend or not the candidate for a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Some of the Basic Electrical Engineering questions are the most difficult during the process because they tend to have a "trick", something that will make you think past just knowing Ohms Law or the circuit in question. Often there is a variable that makes the problem different that it appears at first look. They want to know how observant you are about these details, and how you can drive to a solution. Even if your answer is wrong (it often is) they are testing for your thought process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Boise, ID).

Interview

4-5 people interview. Basic level to advance topics in the field. Try to show that you can solve by working in team environment. Some folks have subject matter from fundamental level.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Long time back with there was not much job around.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Roseville, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Questions on resume. Can you explain me your project? What's inside computer? Questions on PCI, Signal Integrity. BIOS questions. Diff between BJT and FET. Questions on PCB design

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Roseville, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied online through the website and got a call back within 1-2 weeks. After the initial screening, I was set up with a technical interview that was around 45 minutes long. There was a lot of questions regarding my past projects as well as material I learned in my coursework. Although the position was entry level, it felt like the constant barrage of questions required a more seasoned engineer or at least someone with some internship experience. Everything on your resume is fair game, so make sure you know the ins and outs of each thing you put on there. The interviewer will dig like there's no tomorrow...

Interview Questions

• What is the chipset of the motherboard in your computer that you're using?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Seattle, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview was for an entry level new graduate position in digital hardware design. Previous to the interview I had been told there would be a technical evaluation and I should have a pen and paper. The first 30 minutes were a basic personality test and the last hour and a half was technical. I was asked 5 technical questions, 3 regarding digital design (designing a flip flop, microprocessor architecture, etc) and 2 with analog design (op amp assumptions, op amp transfer functions, RC transfer functions). Having interviewed at other places with 'technical' interviews I was not quite ready for this one. Review and make clear the fundamentals that you learned freshman/sophomore year and you'll do fine. Sad I didn't prepare properly :(

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Irving, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

Phone interview- Basic thought process questions and a few broad technical questions. Mainly interested to see how you think.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what happens when you click a button on your mouse. (hardware switches, data flow, software interpretation, etc.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Singapore (Singapore)) in January 2015.

Interview

Two rounds of interview in one day, the first with three engineers (future colleague/seniors) and the second with the manager of the division. Approximately one hour for each. General questions regarding the CV (explaining previous projects and experience), a little bit about motivation and several technical questions about inkjet printer. First, I was given a paper test with two questions (substractive and additive color system, basic statistics) and secondly a case study on the studying a possible improvement for a printer based on a sample printed page. Also a color blind test.

Interview Questions

• I was given several pages printed from different printers, and was asked to compare their quality and how to improve the weakest one   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Heredia (Costa Rica)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Heredia (Costa Rica)) in February 2011.

Interview

Three interviews. The first was human resources, was a soft interview. Second interview was by phone and was technical about Linux, C++ and some soft skills, 30-60 min long. The third interview had 3 fases, the first with the manager and HR (soft skills), second about electrical engineering knowledge (mainly ASIC) and the third about programming and logic, the questions was mainly related to C++.

Interview Questions

• About pointer and references in C++. Very detailed questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

They showed me the salary and I accept it