Hewlett-Packard Marketing Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2015

3.1

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Broomfield, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

Four managers taking turns, all sitting in the same, closed, brick room; I provided them a portfolio of my accomplishments and capabilities. Good interview, however, they decided they want and Engineer for this Product Marketing role. I do know three product managers were also picked for a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about laying out a strategic marketing plan?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

Very straightforward and professional. Typical 1st call from HR to determine interest and availability. Then call with the hiring manager. Finally on site for an entire day with the team and manager. They flew me in and put me up in a local hotel. Follow up was reasonable. Had an offer within 2 weeks. Accepted after minimal negotiations around base and grade level.

Interview Questions

• Typical interviews. Mostly around personality fit with the team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Fremont, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I was out on medical leave, so the director requested a telephone interview to see if I was a good fit for his position - which had actually been my position prior to going out on leave....he was a new director, though, so he interviewed me for the job.

Marketing Programs Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Herndon, VA) in September 2014.

Interview

The HR person was very nice and had a pleasant interview with her. She sent out a questionnaire first which took a while to complete. The next part was the hiring manager. She was rude and asked questions that I believe definitely ruled me out from going forward (see unexpected question below) when we were done. Additionally, she rescheduled the interview a couple of times and seemed pressed for time when we spoke which I believe ruled me out before we began. I had the feeling the entire time that she had to be elsewhere and I do not believe anything I said would have made a difference. I was tempted to say, let's reschedule when you are not under pressure of a deadline.

Interview Questions

• What is our complete porfolio of products that we manage?   1 Answer

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Seattle, WA).

Interview

1:1 with the same person on 2 different days, then asked to put together a marketing plan. Phone interviews were then scheduled with other members of the team that were located out-of-town. One Director on the team was late, & spent less than 15 minutes for the call (that was scheduled to be 45 minutes). This interviewer was very negative, and had an air of "I feel threatened/why do I have to talk to you" tone when talking to me. I had to explain an answer 3 times in different ways (a topic I have deep experience in/felt very confident in my past success with), and the entire conversation felt very disjointed. Ultimately, the team passed on me via word from the in-person interview contact. The negative interviewer derailed the entire interview process, although he spent less than 15 minutes on a call with me. I believe this is all for the best, and suspect the disjointed/negative interview experience was a snapshot of the culture of this team.

Marketing Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Houston, TX).

Interview

Really need a connection inside to pull you through the process. Otherwise it is standard interview process.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly difficult. It pays to take the offensive with strong questions of the interviewer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pretty easy - offer and counter offer and done.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

managers are remote so questions around working remotely

Marketing Manager Interview

Interview

nothing too out of the ordinary

Interview Questions

Negotiation

nothing just a offer

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Flew me in for a third round interview. The interview consisted of 8 back to back interviews with various employees within the department. The schedule of who I interviewed with was a little mixed up and different from the initial schedule. Everyone for the most part was nice to talk to but a few seemed uninterested. Pretty straight forward with mostly behavioral questions and a few on the job hypothetical questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

First Part of Interview: Recruiter Call (I had to follow up with this recruiter in order to get 2nd part of interview.) Second Part of Interview: 2nd Recruiter call with internal recruiter. Third Part of Interview: In person interview with hiring manager and team member 4th Part of Interview: Turned in deck and word document creating an entire marketing plan for what your strategy would be. (Asked to do this on a Saturday and turn in on Wednesday, I turned in a 12 page report and 25+ page deck by Tuesday.) 5th Part of Interview: Speak to two directors of cross functional teams. (Asked to speak to two more directors after I was told by director that they wanted to send me an offer) This interview process was ridiculous. I was told I was the final candidate and when salary was being negotiated I was asked to come in for the 5th part of the interview process to meet with two more directors. After that they made me wait another 3 weeks before telling me they wanted to hire a director of marketing before the move one. Not only that, they also decided to change the position to more of a social media type role. They were a mess. The people I met were nice enough, but to drag an interview process for about a month and a half is crazy. Especially after telling me they wanted to give an offer and then bring you back for more interviews. Word of advice: Stop wasting peoples time. After all of the time and effort, you could have at least told gave me some feedback to help me going forward. BTW, you are welcome for the free digital marketing strategy. HP is officially off of my list of companies to work for or buy products from.

Interview Questions

• Inperson interview was pretty easy. Creating a complete marketing strategy for them took a lot of time and effort. I would advise not to do this unless you are really desperate for a job, even then they may just be using you.   Answer Question