Hewlett-Packard

1,364 candidate interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in December 2013.

Interview Details – This was a scheduled event held at HP

The whole process went like this:

1. Screening and verification of the documents

2. Written Test :

This test was having 3 sections :
 -Aptitude
 -Verbal
 -Technical

-> Aptitude: The problems were on Mixtures , Profit and loss , Trains , Data interpretation etc.. and I found all of them VERY tough ( maybe I wasn't well prepared)

-> Verbal: This was the easiest section

->Technical(35 questions) :
This section had questions based on C , C++ and MySql. I found MySql the easiest one they gave basic queries based on the tables eg. Schema of two tables with a question and the query was in one of the options. It was quite easy.
C++ : most of the questions were on C++ they give you a code snippet and you need to find the output I found it a little tedious. You have to be really good at C++.
C : It was not as tough as C++ and not too easy also. The problems were again on code snippets.

( I wasn't able to clear the 1st round but one of my friend got through it and that person was selected for this position so I am sharing the further rounds acc. to my friend's experience. I must say they would have kept the cut off really high since they selected 2-5 candidates from the batch of 150-200 people. So if you are reading my review I request you to study well in all the subjects. May you succeed in your interview)

3. Technical Round ( Elimination round 45 mins ):

This round went like this :
Tell about yourself and then explain your project on a board.
They asked about basic concepts of C,C++,DBMS,JAVA like
-Inline Functions,
-Function pointer,
-Pointers,
-Reversing a string without using strrev() ,
-Reversing a linked list ,
-Program to find factorial of a number,
-Swings ,
-Servlets ,
-JDBC,etc.,
-A scenario to write DBMS query
- Puzzles

4. Managerial Round ( Elimination Round 30 mins ) :

This contained both the Technical and HR questions
Tell about yourself
Difference between fault and defect
Compilation steps
Primary key and super key
Different Ways of sending a piece of data
Alternate method to replace a sequence of pointers
Difference between TCP and UDP
About IP address
Few questions from your resume
Most frustrating moment in your life
Your short term and long term goals

5. HR Round ( NO Elimination 5 mins ):

Again brief about yourself
What do you know about HP?
Why HP?
Are you ready to relocate?
Your package expectation?
How long will you stay in HP?

Interview Question – There were few random numbers(like 0987654321) given in the question and there are "n" friends and each of them calls the other from their number which is "x" digits similar to other friend's number. ( I am sorry I cannot recollect the exact question I am just trying to give some idea about it)
So there was a huge paragraph providing such details and 5 questions based on the information provided. ( I found it the trickiest one )
  Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on their company website. Got a call from HR within a week.

Had a phone interview with hiring manager and later called me in for on-site interview. Very well organized.

Interview Question – Step 1: Phone interview with hiring manager
Questions related to core java & multi-threading

Step 2: On-site interview with 4 team members
Questions related to my previous work experience, hiberante, Http, database table design, data structures(stacks & queue), algorithms (how to find if a given single list is circular or not), questions on java reflection etc

Step3 : phone interview with director
Lots of behavioral questions and questions related to their products such as What do you know about the products, how can you improve them, challenges faced in previous jobs, passionate about which technologies etc.
  Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Technical Consultant
Herndon, VA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in January 2008.

Interview Details – I interviewed with multiple levels of management and technical people on the account. They pressed me for my experience working with the government and tested my skills with the equipment available on the account. I went through three series of interviews over a two week period, took a drug and personality test, followed by a full background check.

Interview Question – What is the hardest thing about working with the government?   Answer Question

Technology Consultant Interview

I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in June 2009.

Interview Details – Went thru 3 rounds....every round was very tough and challenging

Interview Question – the interview process was challenging to the mind   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed up with a full day of multiple interviews. Many behavioral situation questions to determine team fit.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you were asked to do something you considered questionable or not correct and what you did as a result.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate - take it or leave it.

IT Analyst Interview

IT Analyst
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in August 2009.

Interview Details – They do a round robin scenario based interview. They typically will have 2-3 people in each interview and you might do4-6 interviews in a day. In each interview, they are looking for different things, traits, experiences, etc.

Interview Question – They are all scenario based. Research behavioral interview process on the internet for more info.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation phase was 2-3 day process. Nothing abnormal.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was asked for a phone screen interview. If passed I would have been asked for an on site interview

Interview Question – Though it was an hour long phones screen interview, the manager asked me question starting from Ampere's law to FETs and op amp and so on.   Answer Question

Process Associate Interview

Chennai (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2011.

Interview Details – Communication skills, skills related to SAP n Excel or any Technical Knowledge will be an added advantages, HP does not compromise on the quality of services n supports so gv main emphasis on that.

Interview Question – Why u should be hired by HP ?   View Answer

Senior Associate, Corporate Strategy Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in July 2007.

Interview Details – Interview Process:
1. Two phone interviews (30 minutes each)
2. Four on-site interviews in one day (45 minutes each)
3. One final interview

Interview Advice:
- Mix of consulting style cases and behavioral questions
- Know how Profit & Loss statements work
- Financial questions about HP's business units (read 10Q before interview)
- Prepare for recent developments at HP and have recommendations ready
- Why HP? Why Strategy
- Career goals. What do you want to do after Corporate Strategy?

General Impressions:
- All employees are ex-Consultants
- Interviewer made it clear that work-life balance is an issue
- Offer is somewhat negotiable (if you get an offer, they really want you)

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a P&L. How do you get from EBIT to Cash Flow?   View Answer
  • Estimate the profit margins of our Printing and Server business. Why are there differences? How can we improve profitability?   View Answer

Vice President Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – Flown in for intensive day. Interviewed by 7 different people. Senior executive did not show causing a change to the program. This was my first hint that there were problems in this area. Desks were empty in a large way was my second hint. Offer was very thorough and came by email within 5 days of the process. Was uncertain about the future of this team. Hindsight was spot on target.

Interview Question – Did not expect to be interviewed by person I was to replace.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard interview questions and advice. All 1,364 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees and interview candidates.