Hewlett-Packard

Updated Dec 18, 2014
1,679 Interview Reviews

2.9

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Technical question some practical some not. Standard technicla questions any subject. Behavioural questions. Explain experience and how it is relevant. Several 1 hour interviews will engineers and mgr. Technicla focus. Give detailed examples.

Interview Questions
    • A car as skidding on road. You want to keep car under control. Do you apply front or rear brakes. You have control of this selection.   View Answer
    None

Cyber Security Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

The interview process was very straight forward and quick. They did not delay in coming up with the offer. The HR was very clear upfront about the work.The Job description was not really what I actually encountered after I joined. It was an over inflated JD more than half of which was not true.

Interview Questions
    • There were none, it was to the point and as expected for the role,   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I got two skype interviews and one onsite interview. All of the interviews were very nice. They asked some basic questions on programming languages, algorithms, databases and computer systems.

Interview Questions
    • Just some basic java knowledge, like the difference between HashMap and HashTable in Java.   Answer Question

Customer Engagement Manager Interview

Typical questions asked in most interviews. It is two hiring managers that sit you down and interview you for about an hour. Make sure you dress nice, and bring a copy of your resume.

Interview Questions
    • What about the job description do you dislike the most?   Answer Question
    No real negotiation. Everyone started at the same pay.

Network TestAt HP Roseville Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Submitted my resume at job fair. Got a call about a month later for 30 minute phone interview. The interviewer was laid-back. Not a very difficult interview at all. Received an email a couple weeks later with offer. I think they are seeking "blank-slate" sorts of people so that they can train them specifically for the tasks they are doing.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral. Not very technical. They just asked if I know TCL or Python.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

1 behavioral over the phone interview, then called onsite for four 1 hour interviews. The onsite wasn't that bad. They asked behavioral, technical and just wanted to know why I was interested in working for HP. I got accepted and it was an amazing internship! Also, make sure to be energetic during the interview because it helps.

Interview Questions
    • declare a linked list and traverse it. how to reverse a linked list. I forgot to review linked lists but luckily I remembered it from my data structures class. They had also asked about pointers and such so brush up on that!   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in November 2014.

Worst recruiting process experience in 20 years!

Recruiter reached out regarding several opportunities that I might be interested in. Discussed what with the recruitter what a best fit would be and what I was interested in. Then nothing. I followed up several times over the next few weeks.

After three months, a coordinator reached out with an urgent request to interview the following week. I confirmed the role they wanted to discussed. They scheduled and then rescheduled twice with an interview that took place two months laters.

At the interview, there were executives from three separate divisions. They all asked questions which were neither aligned to the opportunity discussed with the recruiter nor my experience.

No doubt I should have been suspicious with the delays, but how could both HR and Executives agree to use their time to interview for an executive position with someone whose experience does not align with the role they are looking for.

No wonder why HP continues to flounder!

Interview Questions
    • What do you think HP need's to do to improve?   Answer Question
    • Other questions were technical in nature and specific to the role: how would you go about .... with follow on questions to delve deeper into a topic   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

All interviews conducted via phone. Interview pretty easy and open. A good number of questions on HP terminology, systems and processes. Interviewed with hiring manager and technical person. Set yourself apart by demonstrating skills and results.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in November 2014.

I applied to this position as a new graduate (BS in computer science) few months before I got a call from a recruiter. She spoke to me and got inputs about my background and experience. Then I was called in to do a 2 hour coding test onsite at the Sunnyvale campus. You are left in a conference room alone with scratch paper and pens. There were 4 questions and it was all based on C and C++. A current software engineer will be administering the test by walking in every few mins to make sure everything is okay and to see if you have any questions. I took a picture of the test and I'm sharing the questions below.

Interview Questions
    • Merge two sorted lists. You can choose the structure in which they are represented, and briefly state in the comments. You may rely on the two lists being sorted at the start.   Answer Question
    • strncpy() is a function in the C standard library. Here is the description of it from the linux manual page:

char * strncpy (char * destination, const char * source, size_t num);

Copy characters from string
      Copies the first num characters of source to destination. If the end of the source C string (which is signalled by a null character) is found before num characters have been copied, destination is padded with zeroes until a total number of num characters have been written to it.

No null-character is implicitly appended at the end of the destination if source is longer than num. Thus, in this case, destination shall not be considered a null terminated C string (reading it as such would overflow).

destination and source shall *not* overlap (see memmove for a safer alternative when overlapping)

Return value: strncpy() function returns a pointer to the destination string dest.

IMPLEMENT IT.

Answer Question
    • Write an efficient function to return the number of days since the January 1st for the current year given the month (1-12) and day (1-31) as parameters (assume non leap year to keep it simple). Here's the function prototype:

int DaysInYear (int month, int day);

For example, DaysInYear (1,1) should return zero. April, June, September, and November has 30 days, February has 28 and the rest have 31 days.

Answer Question
    • The operating system typically allocates memory in pages such that the base address of the page are 0, 4K, 8K etc. Given two addresses (pointers), write a function to find if two pointers are on the same page. Here's the function prototype:

int AreOnSamePage (void * a, void * b);

Customer Program/Project Manager IV Interview

HP has a very intensive hiring process. If you are selected for a 30 minute screening review and pass that there is more. A select few will be invited in to meet the hiring manager and manager peers as well as everyone reporting to the hiring manager. Then there will be intensive interviews at management level (all the 'behavioral managment interview' questions) then in-depth technical questions from the hiring managers staff.

Interview Questions
    • Provide a detailed description of the computer architecture of the advanced computer product you are interviewing for including diagram and explanations of all relevant modules.   Answer Question