Hewlett-Packard

Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Developer/Engineer Interview

IT Developer/Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in October 2013.

Interview Details – Great Company! But the interview process was a little weird. Hewlett-Packard came to my college campus for interviews and recruiting where I interviewed for the first time for a Supply Chain position at the Houston Campus. It was a really good interview, I felt confident and the interviewer was very kind. I did not receive a call back after a week or two so I decided to email my interviewer letting him know how much I enjoyed talking with him about HP and how excited I was at the prospect of being considered. He emailed me back saying he would pass around my resume to other managers in hopes that they would need someone like me. That was a little discouraging since I suppose he had decided he didn't want to hire me, but a few days later I received a random call from another Manager at HP who was hiring IT Developer's at the Houston campus. I was in IT hardware support at the time so I was really excited about talking with him. He told me he was looking to hire individuals who might be capable, and that maybe we could meet up at the campus in Houston when I was coming into town for another interview that weekend. I thought that was fantastic! I was really pumped and excited about it when I received another random phone call from the same manager the morning of my drive to Houston for another interview with an offer for the job in Houston. I was so excited I accepted and cancelled my interview in Houston that morning.

So that's the story of how the interview process went for me, the second interview required no in depth questioning, not very many technical questions, I suppose they just kind of took me at my word which I thought was great. I was so used to super crazy in-depth interviewing from so many companies it was refreshing to be so easily brought in to work by such a great company. So I've been here since January 2014 and I've really enjoyed it. At first I was skeptical since the hiring process was so easy but I've learned so so much. And I feel confident in my IT and programming skills (which I had very little of when I started at this position). It's a great company to work for, especially out of college. They pay well too which is great! I'm a happy camper here so if you get an offer, I suggest you take it and run.

Good luck in the job search! You'll find one. Just be patient and fierce.

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate because I was so excited to be offered a job. I think the offer was more than fair.

Information Architect Interview

Information Architect
Cleveland, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – Process was over several weeks. Had to sit with 3 managers as well as team members, many questions about my background, past projects, skills, etc. Did not get an offer for over 30 days after the interviews.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

Software Testing Interview

Software Testing
Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in June 2014.

Interview Details – Got my interview via a recruiting agency. Process was fast for the scheduling. Very casual. Just background experience related questions. Supposed to have a technical assignment after the interview but ended up not getting one.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Administration Interview

Administration

Interviewed at Hewlett-Packard

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty straightfoward. HP asked standard IT quesitons in regards to my past experience. Also, the interview was a couple of hours with a tour of the facility.

ASIC/VLSI Engineering Interview

ASIC/VLSI Engineering

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2014.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview and 1 Skype interview with two people. Phone interview was just gauging my general computer engineering knowledge. Skype was a programming question(calculate a number squared without using the provided libraries) and a hardware question (examine some registers and op codes and figure out why actual output doesn't match expected output, there was a flipped bit).

Interview Question – In phone interview I didn't know what to expect. I was asked about how linked lists work and also about overloading a function and operator. Luckily I knew the answers. Phone interview just tested my overall knowledge and Skype interview tested how I code and how I would debug.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had the main manager call me up the next day after the Skype interview and offer me the job. The price was fair since I had no experience so I accepted it.

Software Designer Interview

Software Designer

Interviewed at Hewlett-Packard

Interview Details – On campus interview at a university. I was interviewed by two employees, an HP recruiter and an HP manager. They looked through my resume and derived behavioral questions from them. For example, "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person?" or "What is your ideal job?" ...etc.

Interview Question – Wanted to know my best and least favorite classes in college.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Received a better offer

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

Interviewed at Hewlett-Packard

Interview Details – The job interview process can be lengthy. Being interviewed once and getting a job offer is typically a thing of the past. Today, many companies have an involved interview process starting with screening interviews, followed by in-person interviews, second interviews and even third interviews.

Interview Question – tech knowledge, team spirit   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time where you messed up or did something wrong?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a hiring manager at HP for a position at HP Autonomy. I had a phone interview with the manager for some basic information. After that, I had an in person interview at my university campus during the Fall career fair.

Interview Questions

IT Project Manager Interview

IT Project Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in May 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring Process is always slow in this company so stay patient. Interviews and feedback are somewhat slow as well. Some will ask more technical skill based questions and others will be based more on the soft skills. Come prepared for both and know your content.

Interview Question – There were no specific questions just more information about yourself and your previous experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes, negotiate they have the flexibility.