Hewlett-Packard

Updated Dec 12, 2014
1,669 Interview Reviews

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in October 2014.

I was contacted by the hiring manager via email about 1 week after giving them my resume at a university job fair. I then corresponded (via email) with a software engineer to set up a phone screening. We set aside an hour (but in the email he told me it should only take about half an hour). We began with some standard behavioral questions (tell me about a situation in which you disagreed with a coworker about how to solve a task, etc.). Then he asked me about some things on my resume (which language was my favorite and why, etc.). The next few questions were about software development (specifically interested in my understanding of agile programming and some of the benefits of agile over waterfall). Then came the more technical part of the interview. I was asked to tell him what I would ask a customer (to determine requirements) about a tic-tac-toe game they want me to make. Then I was asked what kind of design I would use and what languages I would use to do it in. Finally I was asked how I would test it. I thought the interviewer was very friendly and although I don't think I will get an invitation for an on-site interview (because the interview was based around web development which I don't have much experience in yet) it was one of the better phone screenings I've had (I've had non-technical people try to screen for technical positions which is a disaster).

Interview Questions
    • What design pattern would you use to build tic-tac-toe web application?   View Answers (3)

Senior BOM Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

I was initially brought on as a contractor with possibility of a permanent position. HP is a big company with many buildings & corridors, so know where you are going prior to your interview. I believe my interview went really well. The hiring manager brought in 3 more of her team members to interview me at the same time with her in a conference room. I was a little nervous with 4 people being in there, but all were very nice & personable. Each team member had a different responsibility in her group, so they all asked me questions pertaining to my position and how I could help each of their responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • What additional core values can you & your expertise bring to our group in notebook service?   Answer Question
    I worked with a recruiter for an hourly wage since I was hired on initially as a contractor.

Hardware Design Engineer Interview

The process started with an info session. The info session is when you fall in love with it. As Federer is to Tennis, HP is to hardware design.
    Post that, is a behavioral interview. Approx 30 mins.

IT Developer/Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in October 2014.

One interview, walked in 30 minutes early and they took me up 15 minutes before the scheduled time, sat with the entire team and talked/answered questions/asked questions the whole time. I was surprised at how easy the questions were, classic interview questions but it wasn't uptight or anything, they were all really accommodating and friendly, great group of professionals.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how the Spring framework operates in conjunction with Java.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in October 2014.

I applied through the job fair in my college and had an on campus interview. The interviewer is nice and questions are simple. The whole process is about 1 hour. I feel that the interviewer cares too much about my GPA, rather than my skill and capability.

IT Developer/Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conway, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conway, AR

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

The process began at an on-campus career fair where I talked to a gentleman from HP who took my information and gave me a job number to apply with on their careers website. After I applied I waited about a week and received a call to schedule a phone interview the next week. When it was time for me to get called for the phone interview I was never contacted. I waited two weeks with no word whatsoever and I was finally contacted again by a different person wanting salary information and a few other details. About a week later I was contacted again to set up another phone interview which ended up taking place the next week. After that interview I waited one more week and I was contacted by someone who offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for HP?
      Do you have any project management experience?
      Knowledge of Waterfall and Agile methodologies.

Answer Question
    There was no negotiation in my process and after asking around I haven't heard of any for anyone else either. They make it very clear that what they offer is what you will get.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Phone interviews are not interesting by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster.phone interview and questions related to behavioral HR questions and some technical questions.

Graduate Development Program Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Day1: Received an email to sign up for a virtual interview

Day5: Took part in a virtual interview with a hiring recruiter. She screened my resume and asked me basic questions to qualify me for the position.

Day7: I was referred for the position.

Day9: I received a call from a hiring recruiter who went over the program with me, and asked me if I had any questions. She then scheduled an interview date with a hiring manager.

Day11: Took place in a interview with the hiring manager. The interview was fairly easy for the most part. Some questions asked were:

Why did you choose this position?
    Why would you like to work for HP?
    Tell me about a time that you overcame a issue at work?
    How do you handle difficult working situations?
    How much would you like to be compensated?
    Are you willing to relocate?
    What is your weakness in your current position?
    What is your weakness (general)?
    What are your strengths?
    Where do you see yourself in the next 10 years?

The hiring manager also wanted me to explain my entire resume to her as well as my education and background...this is how the interview started out, so be prepared to explain those things in detail because they will have your resume handy.

The interview process took close to 50minutes.

After the interview I was told that I did really good and that I would be setup for a final interview in a couple of weeks with the direct manager whom I will be working for to include a panel. I will update this once I have my final interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is your weakness in your current position was difficult for me because I don't feel or like to feel that I have a weakness.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Hiring process took 1 week. Interview was technical and based on lean principles. Initial phone screening was basic: available for relocation, visa status, why are you fit for this position, work history. 1:1 technical interview with hiring manager which lasted for about an hour.

Back Office Administration Interview

I was called by a recruiter for an opportunity. Things seemed pretty standard at first: telephone interview to go over my background, qualifications and interest. Invited to recruiters office for interview, etc. Nothing too unusual until I got to the recruiters office . . .

The recruiter asked me blatantly illegal questions: Are you married? Does your spouse work? Do you have children. I was absolutely shocked.

The two hour interview had been going very well up to that point. The above questions were the recruiter's final questions. I was caught completely off-guard, but answered the questions.

When I told the recruiter that I was married and did have small children, it was like all of the air was sucked out of the room. The recruiter's demeanor completely changed and she got a look on her face like "what a waste of time." She abruptly concluded the interview at that point.

Interview Questions
    • It seemed like HP hired the recruiter so those questions could be asked while shielding HP from liability for asking them.   Answer Question