Hewlett-Packard

Updated Sep 15, 2014
1,548 Interview Reviews

2.9

ASIC/VLSI Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2014.

1 phone interview and 1 Skype interview with two people. Phone interview was just gauging my general computer engineering knowledge. Skype was a programming question(calculate a number squared without using the provided libraries) and a hardware question (examine some registers and op codes and figure out why actual output doesn't match expected output, there was a flipped bit).

Interview Questions
    • In phone interview I didn't know what to expect. I was asked about how linked lists work and also about overloading a function and operator. Luckily I knew the answers. Phone interview just tested my overall knowledge and Skype interview tested how I code and how I would debug.   Answer Question
    I had the main manager call me up the next day after the Skype interview and offer me the job. The price was fair since I had no experience so I accepted it.

Software Designer Interview

On campus interview at a university. I was interviewed by two employees, an HP recruiter and an HP manager. They looked through my resume and derived behavioral questions from them. For example, "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person?" or "What is your ideal job?" ...etc.

Interview Questions
    • Wanted to know my best and least favorite classes in college.   View Answer

Received a better offer

Business Analyst Interview

The job interview process can be lengthy. Being interviewed once and getting a job offer is typically a thing of the past. Today, many companies have an involved interview process starting with screening interviews, followed by in-person interviews, second interviews and even third interviews.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time where you messed up or did something wrong?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2013.

I was contacted by a hiring manager at HP for a position at HP Autonomy. I had a phone interview with the manager for some basic information. After that, I had an in person interview at my university campus during the Fall career fair.

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in May 2013.

Hiring Process is always slow in this company so stay patient. Interviews and feedback are somewhat slow as well. Some will ask more technical skill based questions and others will be based more on the soft skills. Come prepared for both and know your content.

Interview Questions
    • There were no specific questions just more information about yourself and your previous experience.   View Answer
    Yes, negotiate they have the flexibility.

Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in December 2013.

Was supposed to be on campus interview then final round of interviews at the Houston office. Instead, the first on campus interview was cancelled, and had several phone interviews before receiving an invitation for a rescheduled on campus interview. The final round of interview in Houston was composed of roughly 5-6 people.

No negotiations

R&D Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Started with a half hour college fair interview. Followed by a one hour technical phone screen solving statics, dynamics, solid mechanics and fluid dynamics questions over the phone. Followed by a one day on site interview from 8am to 4pm - half was technical, solving engineering problems and half was behavioral - lunch was also part of the interview process. Overall all it was about a month from phone screen to on site interview until offer was given. Recent interviews seem less technical and more behavioral but if you are going for a technical interview you should know your engineering basics.

Interview Questions
    • technical- set up and solve free body diagrams; solve partial differential equations.
      behavioral- talk about a conflict you had in a group project and how you worked through it.
        Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

1:1 with the same person on 2 different days, then asked to put together a marketing plan. Phone interviews were then scheduled with other members of the team that were located out-of-town. One Director on the team was late, & spent less than 15 minutes for the call (that was scheduled to be 45 minutes). This interviewer was very negative, and had an air of "I feel threatened/why do I have to talk to you" tone when talking to me. I had to explain an answer 3 times in different ways (a topic I have deep experience in/felt very confident in my past success with), and the entire conversation felt very disjointed. Ultimately, the team passed on me via word from the in-person interview contact. The negative interviewer derailed the entire interview process, although he spent less than 15 minutes on a call with me. I believe this is all for the best, and suspect the disjointed/negative interview experience was a snapshot of the culture of this team.

Senior Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in March 2012.

Brought in through reciter, met with Hiring Manager in Hotel Lobby and she made a verbal offer on the spot. I later accepted. The interview questions were very basic, the Manager was new and not technical at all. She had less experience than I had.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was easy, the Manager was new and inexperienced and di not stick around long afterwards.   Answer Question
    Easy, they gave me everything I asked for.