Hewlett-Packard

Updated Dec 18, 2014
1,679 Interview Reviews

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2014.

Phone interview. The interviewer is nice, I was ask a several basic programming questions first. And then a algorithm, then something on my resume, then asking some questions about the company. We share a link for easily typing words during the interview.No behavior questions.Nothing unusual expected. I definitely didn't get passed because I' not sure about some of the questions.

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2014.

Applied online in the morning and was contacted the same day by HR. Thirty-minute phone interview one week later. Mostly behavioral questions and an explanation of my technical background with my future manager and several other employees, followed by an offer letter the following week. Most communication was done by e-mail and phone.

Software Developer Interview

Applied at career fair. Interview next day. Basic questions about databases. They were very friendly, but they were only hiring for a few positions from colleges. Never had any contact after initial interview.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2014.

There was an initial HR screening phone interview to check skills, reason for applying, and education. Took about 30 minutes. Two weeks later, the hiring manager arranged a phone screen interview. If selected, there will then be a panel in-person or video teleconference interview.

You could tell the hiring manager either hadn't interviewed for awhile or the HP HR department makes them stick to the usual suspect list of questions to ask: Strengths, Weaknesses.

Interview Questions
    • Usually an interview starts with an opening and story with the "getting to know you", but the manager first asked- what questions do you have about the job? Slightly threw me off because I'm used to listening for cues during the interview to then ask a probing question near the end.   View Answer

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2014.

I went to my university's (Georgia Tech) career fair looking for a job in computer networking (I'm a senior BSEE student). Talked to HP and the recruiters there asked if I was interested in a pre-sales engineer. I said why not? They gave me an interview on the spot saying they liked the way I presented myself, etc. The next week I sat down one-on-one with one of the recruiters at the fair. The interview lasted an hour and was mostly background questions and explanations of what the position entailed, etc. Nothing too difficult. I was told I would be contacted soon if the interview ended up being successful. I was contacted the same day (later that evening) for a second level onsite interview at their office up in Alpharetta. Upon showing up that day (it was quite rainy!), I met up with the same recruiter who did the first interview. He showed me around the office and then we sat down in a conference room with two other people (the hiring manager and the overall manager for the program I was applying for). They basically grilled me with questions for 45 minutes to an hour. After that I met with a college graduate who was actually in the program. We talked for another 15 or 20 minutes and then I left. I was contacted a few days later by the hiring manager and he asked me a few more questions and then I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really that hard, to be honest. There were a lot of open-ended questions probably asked to test your ethics. Nothing too technical.   Answer Question

Lead Systems Analyst Interview

My hiring process was pretty smooth 11 years ago. I met with about 4 people - Program manager, Business team lead, tech lead and QA lead since this role had to interface with all teams.
     However, with all the recent changes at HP, things are pretty different now. The old culture is slowing fading away with most old timers already left. The caring for employees seems to be missing..its mostly survival of the fittest type of a culture now.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to draw and analyze a real use case and draw an activity diagram on the board. Also, they saw my old samples.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate much. They told me they are on a very tight budget.

Project Manager () Interview

.I applied through other source.I got the first call right after I submitted the application.then I had 2 phone interviews with hiring and staff managers .one on site interview. they asked some behavioral questions as well as some technical questions .after 3 weeks HR contacted me and offered the position.

Product Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Phone interview - Asked technical questions regarding logic skills, binary knowledge as well as transistor logic. The interviewer seemed nice and helpful if you were stuck. Overall, about 30 mins of tech questions.

Software Automation Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Had a contact through someone I knew, who was able to pass around my resume. Process took longer than usual because they were in the middle of reorganizing their team structure, but eventually got a call to set up an in person interview. Met with 4 people, first guy generally tried to get a feel for my personality, second guy picked apart my resume, third guy handed me a packet of code and asked me what it did, third guy was more technical with questions about OOP and inheritance. I got the feeling that I answered the questions to their satisfaction, everyone was very pleasant.

Got a call 2 weeks later saying I would be receiving an offer letter by email.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what inheritance is in an object oriented programming language.   Answer Question
    They offered me an hourly salary, as an intern. No way did I try and negotiate

Fresh Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Fresh graduate go through series of interviews starting from a screening interview, peers interview, hiring manager interview and then the next level manager interview. The interview with the peers and then hiring manager is the key interview. Any project work mentioned on the application is drilled into to assess what specific role and work was handled by the candidate on team project type of deliverables.

Interview Questions
    • Other than evaluating the Business Acumen, Customer Focus and Technical skills for the specific position needs, they are given a case study or two to solve during the interview process. Case Study is based on a high school level complexity problem applied to the real life scenarios.   View Answer
    HP has a standard starting salary and benefits that are not open much to negotiation.