Hewlett-Packard

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Boise, ID

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2010.

Interview Details – Organized, tough!

Interview Question – Get ready for a long day - mine lasted 8 hours with about 9 different people and a group lunch. I was toast when it was over.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiated a small signing bonus

Mechanical Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – A single, behavioral interview over the phone was the only the step of the interviewing process for my intern position. I only spoke with a recruiter, although some interns did meet with engineers who I am sure got into the technical side of the position.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you took a leadership position. What struggles did you face?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate because it was an intern position

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in May 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online and received a call for a phone screening 2-3 weeks later. I was called back later to interview in person at their offices. The process consisted of a 1:1 interview with the hiring manager, then a product design technical interview, followed by an engineering physics interview, and finally a lunch with potential colleagues. They emailed me right after the interview letting me know that I did very well. I followed up according to standard practices. However, a week later, they notified me that they had selected another candidate.

Interview Question – Moment diagrams, kinematics, plastic part design   View Answer

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in August 2011.

Interview Details – minimum 2 interviews, verify the historical job scope, looking for ability to communicate well and bring across a point. look for any inconsistency in your resume versus oral questions.

Interview Question – Describe the most satisfactory thing that you have accomplish in your past working experience.
How does your wife describe you?
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – Phone interview, followed by day long on-site interview. On-site interview includes conversations to determine if you'll fit in with the people and culture (this includes the group lunch, so don't act like you're not being interviewed during that part of the day!). There wil also be a few technical interviews with different individuals, that are very much like taking final exams, so prepare well!

Interview Question – They may give you an engineering problem that they are currently working on to see if you can find a solution that no one there has come up with. They may not even have any solutions yet, so it's hard to tell if you're doing well with your answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was a new college grad at the time, so I was very pleased to get the offer. The salary and benefits were so good that I did not negotiate. I just signed and said thank you!

Mechanical Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – I had several extensive technical interviews over the phone, before being flown to location for full day of technical and behavioral interviews (4 technicals, 1 behavioral). Technical questions to understand thought process and ability to work without all necessary information. I found it pleasant, but I also enjoy technical interviewing and feel comfortable doing it.

Interview Question – They asked about salary during the behavioral interview, which I had not prepared for. It also made me less sure about negotiating after getting the offer. They just sent me the offer letter with the value I had suggested.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, wish I had

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard Mechanical Engineer interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees and interview candidates.