Hewlett-Packard Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

4.0

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview is an extensive process lasting the course of a day. Problem solving skills and engineering knowledge are tested. Hands on problem solving with printer specific issues comes into play. Personality and experience are discussed at length. Job fit is a big part of the process as well.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

Technical question some practical some not. Standard technicla questions any subject. Behavioural questions. Explain experience and how it is relevant. Several 1 hour interviews will engineers and mgr. Technicla focus. Give detailed examples.

Interview Questions

• A car as skidding on road. You want to keep car under control. Do you apply front or rear brakes. You have control of this selection.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

Pleasant phone screening with staff ME member. The questions asked are relatively simple but not necessarily easy. AP High school physics level for the most part. Afterward they asked several questions about my resume and why I was interested in HP.

Interview Questions

• Pulley question involving gearing, tension in the rope, work input to system, and relative rotational velocities of each pulley. This was followed up by a more open-ended discussion of what other factors would contribute to starting/stopping forces and energy losses in the system.

After this I was invited to fly onsite for a more formal interview.

Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

A single, behavioral interview over the phone was the only the step of the interviewing process for my intern position. I only spoke with a recruiter, although some interns did meet with engineers who I am sure got into the technical side of the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you took a leadership position. What struggles did you face?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate because it was an intern position

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (San Diego, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

I submitted my application online and received a call for a phone screening 2-3 weeks later. I was called back later to interview in person at their offices. The process consisted of a 1:1 interview with the hiring manager, then a product design technical interview, followed by an engineering physics interview, and finally a lunch with potential colleagues. They emailed me right after the interview letting me know that I did very well. I followed up according to standard practices. However, a week later, they notified me that they had selected another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Moment diagrams, kinematics, plastic part design   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Boise, ID) in February 2010.

Interview

Organized, tough!

Interview Questions

• Get ready for a long day - mine lasted 8 hours with about 9 different people and a group lunch. I was toast when it was over.   Answer Question

Negotiation

negotiated a small signing bonus

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by day long on-site interview. On-site interview includes conversations to determine if you'll fit in with the people and culture (this includes the group lunch, so don't act like you're not being interviewed during that part of the day!). There wil also be a few technical interviews with different individuals, that are very much like taking final exams, so prepare well!

Interview Questions

• They may give you an engineering problem that they are currently working on to see if you can find a solution that no one there has come up with. They may not even have any solutions yet, so it's hard to tell if you're doing well with your answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was a new college grad at the time, so I was very pleased to get the offer. The salary and benefits were so good that I did not negotiate. I just signed and said thank you!

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

I had several extensive technical interviews over the phone, before being flown to location for full day of technical and behavioral interviews (4 technicals, 1 behavioral). Technical questions to understand thought process and ability to work without all necessary information. I found it pleasant, but I also enjoy technical interviewing and feel comfortable doing it.

Interview Questions

• They asked about salary during the behavioral interview, which I had not prepared for. It also made me less sure about negotiating after getting the offer. They just sent me the offer letter with the value I had suggested.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate, wish I had

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Singapore (Singapore)) in August 2011.

Interview

minimum 2 interviews, verify the historical job scope, looking for ability to communicate well and bring across a point. look for any inconsistency in your resume versus oral questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most satisfactory thing that you have accomplish in your past working experience.
      How does your wife describe you?

Answer Question