Hewlett-Packard

Relevance Date Difficulty

R&D Mechanical Engineer Interview

R&D Mechanical Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – Started with a half hour college fair interview. Followed by a one hour technical phone screen solving statics, dynamics, solid mechanics and fluid dynamics questions over the phone. Followed by a one day on site interview from 8am to 4pm - half was technical, solving engineering problems and half was behavioral - lunch was also part of the interview process. Overall all it was about a month from phone screen to on site interview until offer was given. Recent interviews seem less technical and more behavioral but if you are going for a technical interview you should know your engineering basics.

Interview Question – technical- set up and solve free body diagrams; solve partial differential equations.
behavioral- talk about a conflict you had in a group project and how you worked through it.
  Answer Question

IT Manager II Interview

IT Manager II
San Diego, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2011.

Interview Details – I was part of an account take-over and all incumbent staff were hired en-masse. The only interviews were with new HP managers and determining if existing positions were in line with career goals. The actual interview was also mixed with new hire company orientation.

Interview Question – Would I be interested in moving from project management to operations   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very short and assembly-line like.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiting manager, who asked me about my preferences for a position.

After the initial call, I got 1 HR call asking about the usual team-synergy stuff.

The technical interview was over the phone, and with some general Data Structures questions, asked me to follow a link to a collaborative editing website, where I can write code and he can watch in real time. There were about 4 different coding questions, not too difficult.

Interview Question – What is a deadlock? How does it apply to hardware.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2013.

Interview Details – There was three rounds of interviews based on my previous internship experience and background.

Interview Question – I applied for a non-engineering position. No technical questions were asked   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was just with the HR person via email.

Very Easy Interview

Training Consultant Interview

Training Consultant
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – I was hired as a training consultant within software. I was brought on as a contract worker and within 6 months I was hired as a full time worker. The interview process for me was very simple and relaxed. Since I did not have any experience with the position I was applying for everything was new to me but I had very good training.

Interview Question – I did not have any questions that were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked to be hired as a full time employee within 6 months time and to be a teleworker.

Very Difficult Interview

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was asked for a phone screen interview. If passed I would have been asked for an on site interview

Interview Question – Though it was an hour long phones screen interview, the manager asked me question starting from Ampere's law to FETs and op amp and so on.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online + sent my resume to recruiter ; Was asked to meet with an Interview Panel consisting of 4 1:1 interviews.
First Interview was with the Hiring Manager - unfortunately he was running bit late & he also did not want to conduct the interview in the room originally allocated - so we spent sometime looking for an open conference room. (all this reducing the time for the interview)
The actual who described the role & highlighted the top 3 priorities for the role. He said at the top of the interview finding a candidate with all 3 aspects was next to impossible - so he was willing to consider a candidate with strong fundamentals in at least 2 of the 3 of his criteria. The interview was cordial and I'm sure I did fumble couple of times especially while focusing on 2nd (of the top 3) subjects
Unfortunately, our interview came to an abrupt end when the next interviewer (director) was already waiting in originally scheduled room.
The next 3 interviewers were cordial, gave me good insight into what the role, expectations for first the 3 quarters & general road-map for the product.
After the last interview I wanted to reconnect with the Hiring Manager but was told that he would contact me later.
I did send thank-you notes to the interview panel.

Waited 3 days for feedback on the interview, then contacted the recruiter - after that I received a fairly detail email explaining why they had to pass me over - the reasoning was that they felt that my experience with 2nd topic (of the 3 priorities) was peripheral and they are looking someone with more specific experience,

All in all a decent interview experience - wish I was more convincing on the 2nd topic while interviewing with the Hiring Manager.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience with SaaS delivery?   Answer Question

Marketing Analytics Manager Interview

Marketing Analytics Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the hiring manager, and the other managers.

Interview Question – Case question.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in July 2011.

Interview Details – Very professional interview process. Met with HR rep for overview of company and tour. Met with several current employees and potential manager. Very positive, no gotcha type questioning - everyone had serious job to do.

Interview Question – What is the best way to profile the customers workflow requirements on the platform we're providing?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Interaction Design Intern Interview

Interaction Design Intern
San Diego, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process for me was actually very short. I received a phone call from my eventual manager, spoke more about the process of being hired than about the position. He told me what I would be paid if I got the position, and when I confirmed I was interested, he said he would arrange a call with someone from the team.

Later, I received a call from someone on the design team. We chatted for about 10 minutes, and mostly it was him telling me about the job. I can't recall that any questions were even asked, but I was offered the job after the phone call.

Interview Question – Tell me about the types of projects that you have worked on.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard interview questions and advice in San Diego, CA. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees and interview candidates.