Hewlett-Packard

Updated Aug 26, 2014

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

R&D Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Started with a half hour college fair interview. Followed by a one hour technical phone screen solving statics, dynamics, solid mechanics and fluid dynamics questions over the phone. Followed by a one day on site interview from 8am to 4pm - half was technical, solving engineering problems and half was behavioral - lunch was also part of the interview process. Overall all it was about a month from phone screen to on site interview until offer was given. Recent interviews seem less technical and more behavioral but if you are going for a technical interview you should know your engineering basics.

Interview Questions
    • technical- set up and solve free body diagrams; solve partial differential equations.
      behavioral- talk about a conflict you had in a group project and how you worked through it.

Answer Question

Firmware Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in June 2014.

I received an email from a recruiter to apply for this position. A week later I scheduled an in person interview. The in-person interview lasted about 15 minutes and really surprised me about how brief they made it. They asked a few questions about my previous experience and a few technical questions and said I'm qualified for the job and will be hearing back soon. Had to send 2 follow up e-mails to receive the results.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiting manager, who asked me about my preferences for a position.

After the initial call, I got 1 HR call asking about the usual team-synergy stuff.

The technical interview was over the phone, and with some general Data Structures questions, asked me to follow a link to a collaborative editing website, where I can write code and he can watch in real time. There were about 4 different coding questions, not too difficult.

Training Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

I was hired as a training consultant within software. I was brought on as a contract worker and within 6 months I was hired as a full time worker. The interview process for me was very simple and relaxed. Since I did not have any experience with the position I was applying for everything was new to me but I had very good training.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have any questions that were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question
    I asked to be hired as a full time employee within 6 months time and to be a teleworker.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2013.

There was three rounds of interviews based on my previous internship experience and background.

Interview Questions
    • I applied for a non-engineering position. No technical questions were asked   Answer Question
    It was just with the HR person via email.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in January 2013.

I was asked for a phone screen interview. If passed I would have been asked for an on site interview

Interview Questions
    • Though it was an hour long phones screen interview, the manager asked me question starting from Ampere's law to FETs and op amp and so on.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in August 2012.

Applied online + sent my resume to recruiter ; Was asked to meet with an Interview Panel consisting of 4 1:1 interviews.
    First Interview was with the Hiring Manager - unfortunately he was running bit late & he also did not want to conduct the interview in the room originally allocated - so we spent sometime looking for an open conference room. (all this reducing the time for the interview)
    The actual who described the role & highlighted the top 3 priorities for the role. He said at the top of the interview finding a candidate with all 3 aspects was next to impossible - so he was willing to consider a candidate with strong fundamentals in at least 2 of the 3 of his criteria. The interview was cordial and I'm sure I did fumble couple of times especially while focusing on 2nd (of the top 3) subjects
    Unfortunately, our interview came to an abrupt end when the next interviewer (director) was already waiting in originally scheduled room.
    The next 3 interviewers were cordial, gave me good insight into what the role, expectations for first the 3 quarters & general road-map for the product.
    After the last interview I wanted to reconnect with the Hiring Manager but was told that he would contact me later.
    I did send thank-you notes to the interview panel.

Waited 3 days for feedback on the interview, then contacted the recruiter - after that I received a fairly detail email explaining why they had to pass me over - the reasoning was that they felt that my experience with 2nd topic (of the 3 priorities) was peripheral and they are looking someone with more specific experience,

All in all a decent interview experience - wish I was more convincing on the 2nd topic while interviewing with the Hiring Manager.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2012.

call from product manager directly, before the call, we have contacted several times through email.
    questions

introduce their product, responsibility of the position
    tell urself
    questions about resume
    reference avaliable?

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in July 2011.

Very professional interview process. Met with HR rep for overview of company and tour. Met with several current employees and potential manager. Very positive, no gotcha type questioning - everyone had serious job to do.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best way to profile the customers workflow requirements on the platform we're providing?   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in May 2011.

I submitted my application online and received a call for a phone screening 2-3 weeks later. I was called back later to interview in person at their offices. The process consisted of a 1:1 interview with the hiring manager, then a product design technical interview, followed by an engineering physics interview, and finally a lunch with potential colleagues. They emailed me right after the interview letting me know that I did very well. I followed up according to standard practices. However, a week later, they notified me that they had selected another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Moment diagrams, kinematics, plastic part design   View Answer