Hewlett-Packard Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

After the initial phone interview, I had the onsite interview. It went well but still didn't get the offer. Interview questions are from basic java concepts and basic algorithm questions which are do-able. Many questions are from threads and multi-threaded environment. But took a long time to let me know about their decision.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Easy, friendly. They put me completely at ease which enabled me to think clearly, and answer accurately. This is one of the biggest flaws at most interviews, where the process becomes an inquisition. Not so here. It was more a conversational style.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2014.

Interview

Process seems a bit disorganized. I apply via job board site. HP recruiter sees it can calls me, telling me to apply again via HP's site. Some usually back-and-forth from there, including screen. After screen, I receive an email that the position is closed BUT current interviews in progress will continue. Then I have phone interview, which went very well, but have heard nothing since. Drawn out and a bit disorganized process.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult. More a discussion of work and experience on prior projects.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The Interview process was very hard and interviewers were harsh

Interview Questions

• 1. 3 Million users are in the network. Every 5 secs latitude and longtitude updates.Find out the 5 closest users. 2. Implement a linked list in java 3. In tomcat how many threads can be set at a time. 4. Public Class A{ Private String user; Private String Password; Public Boolean equals(Obj O){ // write code for this method } } 5. Sequence diagram for gas pump station   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

They asked Fibonacci sequence. Use different ways to code.

Interview Questions

• They asked Fibonacci sequence. Use different ways to code.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

Most lengthy interview process I have ever had. First talked to HR and then got a list of technical questions via email. After submitting my answers, I had six 45-min remote interview sessions (all technical and writing code on computer). Then met management team (including manager, director, VP and CTO) on site. VP and CTO also gave technical interviews including coding.

Interview Questions

• I cannot disclose the details of the questions but some of them are java related, multi-threading, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (San Jose, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied on their company website. Got a call from HR within a week. Had a phone interview with hiring manager and later called me in for on-site interview. Very well organized.

Interview Questions

• Step 1: Phone interview with hiring manager Questions related to core java & multi-threading Step 2: On-site interview with 4 team members Questions related to my previous work experience, hiberante, Http, database table design, data structures(stacks & queue), algorithms (how to find if a given single list is circular or not), questions on java reflection etc Step3 : phone interview with director Lots of behavioral questions and questions related to their products such as What do you know about the products, how can you improve them, challenges faced in previous jobs, passionate about which technologies etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Columbia, MD) in September 2012.

Interview

Very informal, yet very detailed. As I moved from one office to another, I bumped into about five other employees, so we struck up an informal conversation. Then I met with the technical chief. There was not a list of prepared questions. Instead it was very friendly. I talked about my work experiences, the things I enjoyed the most, and the interviewer would chime in occasionally asking for some clarification. That interview lasted a few hours.

Interview Questions

• There was not a list of prepared questions. Instead it was very friendly. I talked about my work experiences, the things I enjoyed the most, and the interviewer would chime in occasionally asking for some clarification.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Fort Collins, CO) in August 2012.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a hiring manager via eMail. The next step was a 30 minute technical screening. I was then contacted by another hiring manager to set up a 4 hour technical interview. The Technical interview was divided into four 1-hour sections each on different technical aspects.

Interview Questions

• Now that you've heard about the job and position, what would you change about the position.   1 Answer

I accepted another position with a company that is a much better fit. This division of HP seemed very task oriented and rigid.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Columbia, MD) in September 2011.

Interview

Met hiring manager for one hour where he gave a good idea of his managerial style, and a very good presentation of the benefits of working for Hewlett Packard. Met a group in hallway (30 minutes) while going to the technical interview (accidental?). Met with technical lead for 2.5 hours. Very casual discussions. One question was "tell me about your C++ experience" - expected, but thought it would be more quiz-like. Generally, a relaxed interviewing experience.