Hewlett-Packard

Getting the Interview

34 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a year or more - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in March 2011.

Interview Details – Hard to say. Do open source work and let it show for yourself. Your work says a lot about you in those open source groups

Negotiation Details – My situation was unique and I was valued but I'd treated it like any other company. Go for a place that has a big salary and good work environment

Roseville, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2010.

Interview Details – Agent or Direct screening from online application. Internal hires usually get priority

Interview Question – On-the-job technical questions. Personality traits.   Answer Question

El Paso, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in January 2011.

Interview Details – Interview went smoothly and interviewer was very friendly and helpful. Felt comfortable at all times and was given opportunity to express knowledge-base.

Interview Question – Technical questions can be very specific and developers often need to refer to certain resources for coding questions, which in this case were not made available.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate higher salary then what was offered to others based on experience with company and in field.

Interviewed at Hewlett-Packard

Interview Details – The Interview process was very hard and interviewers were harsh

Interview Question – 1. 3 Million users are in the network. Every 5 secs latitude and longtitude updates.Find out the 5 closest users.
2. Implement a linked list in java
3. In tomcat how many threads can be set at a time.
4. Public Class A{
Private String user;
Private String Password;
Public Boolean equals(Obj O){
// write code for this method
}
}
5. Sequence diagram for gas pump station
  Answer Question

Alpharetta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in October 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process was relatively easy and relaxed. There were some technical discussions based on the experience you list in your resume. There was a phone interview follow by a face-to-face. The decision was made very quickly.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me my highest requested salary so I did not need to negotiate.

Very Difficult Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on their company website. Got a call from HR within a week.

Had a phone interview with hiring manager and later called me in for on-site interview. Very well organized.

Interview Question – Step 1: Phone interview with hiring manager
Questions related to core java & multi-threading

Step 2: On-site interview with 4 team members
Questions related to my previous work experience, hiberante, Http, database table design, data structures(stacks & queue), algorithms (how to find if a given single list is circular or not), questions on java reflection etc

Step3 : phone interview with director
Lots of behavioral questions and questions related to their products such as What do you know about the products, how can you improve them, challenges faced in previous jobs, passionate about which technologies etc.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Hewlett-Packard

Interview Details – They asked Fibonacci sequence. Use different ways to code.

Interview Question – They asked Fibonacci sequence. Use different ways to code.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – Most lengthy interview process I have ever had. First talked to HR and then got a list of technical questions via email. After submitting my answers, I had six 45-min remote interview sessions (all technical and writing code on computer). Then met management team (including manager, director, VP and CTO) on site. VP and CTO also gave technical interviews including coding.

Interview Question – I cannot disclose the details of the questions but some of them are java related, multi-threading, etc.   Answer Question

Fort Collins, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a hiring manager via eMail. The next step was a 30 minute technical screening. I was then contacted by another hiring manager to set up a 4 hour technical interview. The Technical interview was divided into four 1-hour sections each on different technical aspects.

Interview Question – Now that you've heard about the job and position, what would you change about the position.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I accepted another position with a company that is a much better fit. This division of HP seemed very task oriented and rigid.

Columbia, MD

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2011.

Interview Details – Met hiring manager for one hour where he gave a good idea of his managerial style, and a very good presentation of the benefits of working for Hewlett Packard.

Met a group in hallway (30 minutes) while going to the technical interview (accidental?).

Met with technical lead for 2.5 hours. Very casual discussions. One question was "tell me about your C++ experience" - expected, but thought it would be more quiz-like.

Generally, a relaxed interviewing experience.

Interview Question – Asked to describe how I plan my daily activities.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 34 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees and interview candidates.